MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any headless fans here?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Any headless fans here?
Liquidcolor
I've owned quite a few Steinberger GM's and had a beautiful custom Klein that was stolen in the mid 90's. I always found the Transtrem finicky and they would go out of calibration every string change. Others have had better luck. These days it's Telecasters and Roland GX0X models. Wouldn't mind another GM at a fair price.
khakifridge
My fave squeeze is my Status Energy bass. Gorgeous. It's older than my kids and waaay more well-behaved. Also have a Steinberger XT-25 that I quite enjoy.
pacific202
I have one of the Steinberger Synapse SS-2F guitars and for the $400 I paid for it I'm happy. It's a great guitar to throw in the trunk with my Zoom G3 for a portable practice rig, and it's also great for just sitting on the couch and practicing/noodling.

The tone isn't as bad as you might think, it's comparable to a lot of other EMG-equipped guitars in the $500-$1000 price range so I guess it's not fair to compare it to a good Strat or Les Paul.

Tuning stability is the key benefit to the headless design, if you are a gigging musician then these guitars are a dream. Chances are you'll show up to your gig, make a few really small adjustments (if any) then you'll be good all night. I can't comment on the stability on the trem/vibrato guitars, but every time I've played live with a hardtail headless guitar or headless bass it's been wonderful to not have to tune up every few songs and just focus on the show.

I'll also put this forward as the nicest headless instrument I've ever seen:

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/3553/
khakifridge
+1

I almost never have to tune my Status, and the Steinberger only occasionally. Both get gigged and are perfect for the job.

pacific202 wrote:
I'll also put this forward as the nicest headless instrument I've ever seen:

Nice. I quite hanker after one of Martin Petersen's Sei Originals. One day... Guitar
Chrome Dinette
GovernorSilver wrote:
I almost forgot I signed up as a backer for this Kickstarter project - what can I say, i'm a sucker for weird looking guitars:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alpacaguitar/alpaca-guitar-the-ul timate-adventure-guitar

So i will be getting a new headless at some point this year, just not an extended range multi-scale, lol:

I just got Pete Huttlinger's new "50 Fingerstyle Licks You Must Know" course. Yet another reminder of how much more practicing I need to do on 6-string guitar. Rockin' Banana!

Did you ever get that? How is it?
GovernorSilver
Chrome Dinette wrote:

Did you ever get that? How is it?

Haven't gotten mine yet. They've reportedly shipped out some "beta" models. They've had numerous delays but have been sending frequent update emails about where they are. The unusual design has caused some manufacturing problems. Latest email I got from them was July 13, in which they reported the results of consulting a process engineer. Included in the email was this photo demonstrating improvement.

I am the sort of customer that is willing to wait for you to get your product right before shipping it to me, instead of rushing a crappy half-finished product.
Hermetech Mastering
I've wanted a "real" Steinberger L2 or XL2 since I first them in the 80's. Now they are quite expensive. A few years ago I bought the Spirit bass, it was pretty cheap, the hardware was very poor quality, and I absolutely hated the feel of the neck (it was very "round" and not like the Jazz Bass necks I am used to at all). I still love the idea of having an original all carbon/graphite, but can anyone who owns one tell me if the neck is anything like the Spirits? I guess I really just have to try one out in a store.

Christopher Winkel's friend also posted an AMAZING looking all wood mini headless bass on his FB page a couple of years ago, but now neither of us can remember what it was and the link seems lost forever. Pretty sure it was a boutique luthier based in the US. He had a big range of basses, all sizes, but he had this little travel bass range with names like Model 1 and Model 2 etc. The one I wanted was about $2k. The company name was the luthier's name. Brad David or something, by way of an example. If anyone knows what I am talking about then please post the link!
Hermetech Mastering
oozitron wrote:
David Fair is not your typical guitar player. We're distantly related, but are on different planets musically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD1Yx8z0BXs

Another David (close friend, not relative) makes beautiful custom bass guitars. His instruments (some headless) are beautiful and get high marks from reviews for their sound and feel. Check out the pictures:

http://www.kingbass.com/photo.html

Drew

DREW I LOVE YOU!!!

It was the David King bass! I want this one:

http://www.kingbass.com/bassdesc/leblanc.html

smile
trickness
I've been tempted by the Teuffel Tesla, but never played one. Would love to hear from someone who has.
sonicwarrior
trickness wrote:
I've been tempted by the Teuffel Tesla

I've been, too, until I saw the current prices around 5K Euro. eek!

Don't know where you are located but for that price you also make a vacation nearby and try them yourself:
http://www.teuffel.com/english/sales/soundcheck.htm
http://www.teuffel.com/english/contact/contact.htm
The provided amps ain't shabby. wink
GovernorSilver
A truss rod was added to the Alpaca guitar design. This will probably delay production even more, but this will make it much more convenient to maintain.
GovernorSilver
The July 28 update announced a truss rod was added to the Alpaca guitar design. This will probably delay production even more, but this will make it much more convenient to maintain.
khakifridge
khakifridge wrote:
I quite hanker after one of Martin Petersen's Sei Originals. One day... Guitar

Small update. Spent four very enjoyable hours with Martin yesterday shooting the breeze, enjoying his Lebkuchen, and ogling lots of gorgeous woods. Put in an order. 8_)
khakifridge
Aaaaaaand... sixteen months later - I picked this up last week and gigged it at the weekend.

Well worth the wait. Now I just need another one. nanners
trickness
Since I originally posted above, I actually bought and sold two Teuffel Teslas. Very cool guitars, one was a Prodigy and the other a Trem version. Prodigy was pretty perfect but the Trem was unbalanced and kinda heavy because of the Steinberger setup. Ended up selling both because the ergos didn't work great for me, but I would love to get another sometime. They are very much their own thing.
Chrome Dinette
I played a Tesla for a couple of years. It sounded great and was comfortable to play, though mine was an older one and the headpiece was a drag. There was a fine line between not tightening the high e enough and the string slipping and over tightening, causing the string to break.
wyrtti
I'm in love with the idea of the NS/Stick. It's a bass, guitar and Stick, all in one!

NS/Stick
abandonist
I have a Oakland Axe Factory headless 8 string. Love it.
sonicwarrior
abandonist wrote:

Cool! Which form?
Squattamolie
Bought new in 85 (or 86, it's getting fuzzy). Cold, dead hands. Sounds fantastic, tracks great, Type 1 transtrem works near perfect. I'll leave this one to my Son, even though I know he'll just sell it, because I couldn't bear to.

tim gueguen
Is it a factory GK equipped model? Can't be too many of those around. And what are you using synthwise with it?
Squattamolie
tim gueguen wrote:
Is it a factory GK equipped model? Can't be too many of those around. And what are you using synthwise with it?

Hi Tim, yeah the Roland is factory. Back in the mid 80s, a number of companies offered guitars with factory Roland electronics. I remember looking at a Stratus Graphite Strat that had the Roland stuff built in, and there were also some Gibsons, and others I think. The converter is a rack with no built in sounds, so I just trigger whatever. At the moment it is a DSS1, but I sometimes use a Matrix 1000, a D550 or MKS50 or 70.
abandonist
sonicwarrior wrote:
abandonist wrote:

Cool! Which form?

Missed this. It was prototype Tom and I came up with for his multi scale work. The construction is meant to be as workmanlike as possible. One volume knob. Bamboo for light weight. Eye peg to hang it on a wall. The barest essentials.
sonicwarrior
Bamboo? eek!

Isn't that too prone to scratches and stuff?
Hermetech Mastering
sonicwarrior wrote:
Bamboo? eek!

Isn't that too prone to scratches and stuff?

abandonist wrote:
It was prototype Tom and I came up with... The construction is meant to be as workmanlike as possible... Bamboo for light weight... The barest essentials.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 3 of 6