MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any headless fans here?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Any headless fans here?
sonicwarrior
Hermetech Mastering wrote:

I read the posting. Don't know what you wanted to tell me.

Also doesn't look like bamboo.
abandonist
I'm not concerned with scratches. It's a players instrument.

I don't know what to tell you about it not looking like bamboo. It is.
sonicwarrior
Are we talking about the same thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo

Hollow plants with not much wood on it?
GovernorSilver
Some bamboo guitars and bamboo Stick:

https://mwguitars.com.au/2013/08/13/a-bamboo-guitar-part-1-why-bamboo/

http://www.liceaguitars.com/guitars.htm

http://stick.com/instruments/bamboo/

Even Yamaha makes/has made a bamboo guitar:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/ac-g uitars/fg/fgb1/

I like abandonist's bamboo guitar. I have never had a scratch-proof guitar - almost cried when I accidentally scratched my PRS CE Bolt-On, and the woods on that guitar are nowhere as hard as bamboo. I also like it when guitar makers experiment with less popular materials instead of making everything with the usual stuff.
GovernorSilver
sonicwarrior wrote:
Are we talking about the same thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo

Same article links to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_musical_instruments

Excerpt:

Bamboo has also recently been used for the manufacture of guitars and ukuleles. Bamboo Ukuleles are constructed of solid cross laminated bamboo strips not plywood. The bamboo solid wood strips are similar to bamboo manufactured flooring. In addition to their strength, bamboo ukuleles have excellent sound & rival ukuleles made out of more traditional woods like Mahogany and Koa. Bamboo makes an excellent choice for an eco-friendly cost conscious ukulele aficionados.
sonicwarrior
Laminate! d'oh!

At first I mixed it up with balsa (very prone to scratches and dongs).
GovernorSilver
sonicwarrior wrote:
Laminate! d'oh!

At first I mixed it up with balsa (very prone to scratches and dongs).

Ah, that makes sense. Yep, that's a very different wood. hihi
moloque
Not guitar but here is 2 bass I build. Love the headless for the balance.

[/img]
moloque
This one didn't make it. Unfortunately the full ebony neck trough didn't accept my shaping skills... meh
https://www.instagram.com/p/3gaLuwyCTU/
The Grump
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
oozitron wrote:
David Fair is not your typical guitar player. We're distantly related, but are on different planets musically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD1Yx8z0BXs

Another David (close friend, not relative) makes beautiful custom bass guitars. His instruments (some headless) are beautiful and get high marks from reviews for their sound and feel. Check out the pictures:

http://www.kingbass.com/photo.html

Drew

DREW I LOVE YOU!!!

It was the David King bass! I want this one:

http://www.kingbass.com/bassdesc/leblanc.html

smile

David King A-Bass (edited). Rare, and though they look weird, they are ridiculously awesome to play, and of all of the basses I have ever tried the three David King basses all sit in my top ten to this day.
The Grump
My workhorse for years was one of these. Schack Carbon-V. Mine was serial #1042, stolen from me on Xmas Eve 2001 in Paris.

I love headless designs, and my next bass will probably be a headless. Maybe a David Kind, if I'm lucky.
Hermetech Mastering
It's David King, and it's an A bass. I still really want one! Maybe one day. Sorry your lovely bass was stolen in Paris :(
GovernorSilver
Strandberg Guitars is trying to make room for the 2017 models, by offering discounted prices on several current production models. The Specials page on their site has most of them, but there might be more hiding in the store.

I think all their guitars are headless.
wsy
And, if you have cousins who got married, there's headless Banjos:

www.tranjo.com

They're really quite nice; a friend had one and I tried it. I liked it a heck of a lot more than the Banjitar I had for a few months. P. O. J.

Someday maybe if I get bored with the synths I'll go for one... dark walnut, please.

- Bill
abandonist
GovernorSilver wrote:
Strandberg Guitars is trying to make room for the 2017 models, by offering discounted prices on several current production models. The Specials page on their site has most of them, but there might be more hiding in the store.

I was fortunate enough to lay hands on a Strandberg. Beautiful guitars. If someone's looking for a higher end headless, you could do far worse.
GovernorSilver
abandonist wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

I was fortunate enough to lay hands on a Strandberg. Beautiful guitars. If someone's looking for a higher end headless, you could do far worse.

I ordered this one - that's why it's out of stock now. cool

https://strandbergguitars.com/product/os-7-lace-special-maple-blue-w16 05041/

There's some kind of bug between Chrome and their website. You might want to try a different browser if you decide to order.

I lack a fixed-bridge guitar in my collection. I'd been contemplating a D'Angelico EX-SS - a very different axe to be sure - but decided to go for the Strandberg when I saw the price. It should be more conducive to messing around with various tuning schemes too, with the carbon fiber fillets in the neck.
abandonist
I'm straight up jelly. love
GovernorSilver
I've had the Boden OS 7 Lace for a couple of weeks now. Random comments:

- Took no time at all to get used to the fanned frets. I hardly noticed they weren't in the normal alignment.

- The Endurneck is a great fit for my hands. By some reports it's not for everybody, but it works great for me. I'm a thumb-behind-neck type of player about 90% of the time.

- The neck, string spacing, etc. is equally comfortable for playing with a pick and fingerstyle stuff.

- The cutout next to the bridge is perfect for making the guitar sit on my thigh in near-vertical position, John Stowell style. In honor of the recently deceased Allan Holdsworth, I started learning his solo guitar arrangement of "House of Mirrors", which has some chord shapes that would require, ahem, creative placement of the wrists, forearms, etc. to nail. They're easier to play on this guitar, in the Stowell position.

- Action is higher than I thought it would be but hammer-ons/pulloffs do not seem to be affected.

My complaints are minor and should be easily fixed when I have the time - there's some fret buzz on the neck, near the 12th fret. I'm guessing a truss rod adjustment should get rid of that.
GovernorSilver
The Strandberg Salen line is out. I've been fascinated by the Salen models ever since they were announced. I'd also been wanting a Tele-style guitar.

https://strandbergguitars.com/product-category/production-model/salen/
Hermetech Mastering
I'm afraid to say I think they are the worst lines I've seen on a guitar for some time. Just utterly repulsive. IMO. hihi
Chrome Dinette
I like and own headless guitars. I also like and own tele style guitars, but I am not a fan at all of that tele-esque Strandberg. The random application of the tele/equire aesthetic to most other guitars is one of the things I hate the most about modern guitar manufacturing.

The most heinous subset of this is the affixation of the three saddle bridge to all manner of guitars where it looks out of place and offers no functional benefit.
GovernorSilver
Chrome Dinette wrote:
I like and own headless guitars. I also like and own tele style guitars, but I am not a fan at all of that tele-esque Strandberg. The random application of the tele/equire aesthetic to most other guitars is one of the things I hate the most about modern guitar manufacturing.

The most heinous subset of this is the affixation of the three saddle bridge to all manner of guitars where it looks out of place and offers no functional benefit.

Fair enough, but in case someone else reads your post and misunderstands, the Salens have individual saddles per string, not the old school triple saddle bridge.

It's kind of interesting that it's "ok" to make headless guitars that reference the Strat, as well as dual-HB guitars. Heck, Koll built a headless archtop guitar! If you make a headless that references the Tele, you've crossed the line! hihi Says a lot about the mystique of the Telecaster, that eclipses other iconic guitar models such as the Les Paul and Stratocaster.

I do respect your opinion, but I've seen similar reactions concerning the Tele-ness of this latest model. I imagine the reactions would have been more muted if the Suhr Tele-style pickups had been incorporated without other aspects of the classic Tele design. Just goes to show the kind of mystique built up around the Fender Telecaster over the decades.
Rex Coil 7
Wow ... totally diggin on them Strandberg "Teles" (the "fanned frets" are pretty cool too!) ... the headless design would fit in excellently with the chopped Tele I made from a stock Warmoth alder Telecaster ... I call it The Shredbilly ... it makes Telecaster purists light their hair on fire and shit bricks.

applause

Padouk 25.5" scale neck with a Strat head, stainless frets, macassar ebony fretboard, alder body, Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups with coil taps, all stainless hardware (neck plate, screws, string ferrules, string trees, control plate ... all from Calahamm). Planet Waves self trimming/locking tuners, chromed solid brass Gotoh bridge, "vintage Tele" pickguard, I wired it all up myself. Both the body and neck are unfinished, I just use furniture oil on it about twice per year. It's upper "chop" is shaped after the Gibson Explorer and Flying V ... due to a permanent neck injury I need to allow my right arm to lay against my torso when I play (otherwise I'm nearly crippled for a couple of weeks after playing for only an hour or so). The chop allows my arm to be in the right position. I traced a Dean ML (who's shape is a combination of a Flying V and an Explorer all in one) then applied the tracing to the Tele body, made my marks and took a jig saw to the body. I didn't own a router then, so I chucked up a router bit in one of my drill presses, set the table height properly and ran the body around the bit cutting a 1/2" radius on the freshly cut edges. All dunzies.

Next to go on it is a Stetsbar Pro II tremolo. Best no-cut/no-drill bolt-on trem on the market, bar none. Priced right as well, at $229 shipped.

I have always dreamed of making a double neck headless bass+guitar, with a small dinky body more or less shaped like the Steinberger "brooms", bolt on wooden necks, wooden body. Years ago that notion was a long money-wise reach away from actually getting it done, but today there are a lot more options when it comes to the headless bridge, as well as a few nice choices for "standard string adapters" on the nut-end of the instrument. Those permit the use of regular stings rather than the double ball types. The only thing I'd need help with from a luthier would be mounting the string adapter on a chopped neck. The plan was (still is? ... maybe?) to buy a Warmoth neck and cut the head off replacing it with the string adapter. Mount the bridge, bolt it all up and call it good.

So if I could locate a willing and able luthier that is capable of chopping the heads from the necks and mounting the string adapters, I may be able to pull off mounting the bridges myself. A headless double neck guitar/bass would be relatively short and light (compared to a headed guitar/bass double neck), and probably wouldn't ~feel~ much larger than a standard Jazz bass or Tele due to the small "Broom style body". Since the necks would just be retrofitted (as in "chopped") regular guitar and bass necks, cost would be fairly reasonable as well. Warmoth sells a double neck guitar/bass "blank" body that has already got the neck pockets and pickup routes done but is just a giant square slab that needs to be shaped into an instrument.

Current pricing for one in alder = $329.00 shaped like a P-bass/Strat abomination .... fetch me my chainsaw!

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/DoubleNecks/DoublePrecisionStrat. aspx

A double neck guitar/bass "blank" is special order but only runs $150.00 in alder.

A guitar blank, pre-routed neck pocket and pickup routes is only $75.00 in alder.

So building a headless instrument is actually within reach for most people.

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Chrome Dinette
GovernorSilver wrote:
Chrome Dinette wrote:

Fair enough, but in case someone else reads your post and misunderstands, the Salens have individual saddles per string, not the old school triple saddle bridge.

It's kind of interesting that it's "ok" to make headless guitars that reference the Strat, as well as dual-HB guitars. Heck, Koll built a headless archtop guitar! If you make a headless that references the Tele, you've crossed the line! hihi Says a lot about the mystique of the Telecaster, that eclipses other iconic guitar models such as the Les Paul and Stratocaster.

I do respect your opinion, but I've seen similar reactions concerning the Tele-ness of this latest model. I imagine the reactions would have been more muted if the Suhr Tele-style pickups had been incorporated without other aspects of the classic Tele design. Just goes to show the kind of mystique built up around the Fender Telecaster over the decades.

I don't see it as crossing the line in any traditional sense, I just personally think the "tele aesthetic" is pretty unappealing outside of itself. I don't like it when builders try to glom it on to anything, headless or no.

I am not really any kind of a traditionalist, either.

It's just a matter of taste, though.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that the guitar in question had a three saddle bridge. That was just an example of the random application of tele-dom that one sees a lot.

shorter version: I barely like the tele aesthetic as it is and don't think it's a good place to start on other guitars.
GovernorSilver
Chrome Dinette wrote:

I don't see it as crossing the line in any traditional sense, I just personally think the "tele aesthetic" is pretty unappealing outside of itself. I don't like it when builders try to glom it on to anything, headless or no.

I am not really any kind of a traditionalist, either.

It's just a matter of taste, though.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that the guitar in question had a three saddle bridge. That was just an example of the random application of tele-dom that one sees a lot.

shorter version: I barely like the tele aesthetic as it is and don't think it's a good place to start on other guitars.

I'm not singling out your reaction in particular; but the negative commentary - fron other people, much more negative than your particular reaction - on this new Strandberg model is striking. They did a Strat-style model with little to no reaction. They have older models that only draw negative reaction just for being headless.

The Telecaster just has a mystique about it that seems to draw stronger emotional reactions when it's "messed with" by a guitar maker, than other iconic designs like the Strat and Les Paul.

If you look back on the thread, you'll see I have a Strandberg guitar myself. You'll also see that Strandberg has been making guitars before they introduced this "Tele" model and they still offer a selection of non-Tele style guitars on their website.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6