MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

motm/ blacet power connector pinout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author motm/ blacet power connector pinout
raisinbag
Im hooking up my first modules and trying to figure out the power situation so I get it right for all my future stuff. Looking at the blacet site there is this diagram for pinout. I assume the little detail on the left side is that part that protrudes from connector which locks into header clip. so if the top is +15 and Bottom - 15v. Is this diagram looking at the connector from the front? or where the wires go into if from behind? which ground goes where? I noticed in a PAIA thread I read it has G and SG as different pins and didnt know what SG was. I am hooking up to a Jameco regulated power supply.

I looked hard but could not seem to find detailed info on this, so if there is a link to a better post please hook me up %

Thanks
valis
I tried to take a pic for you but no luck. So..

If you turn the connector so the raised side is up (and the wires enter/are connected via the right side) than +15v will be on top, followed by two ground connections (both connected to he "same" ground), then -15v.
raisinbag
Picture file

Picture file

OK I took a picture one pic is looking straight at the connector so wires ould be coming out behind, the side view is to show that tab which is upwards. So looking at the shot of the front (female side) with tab upwards, which is on left? which is on right? 15+ 15-

Thanks. [/img]
xpmtl
with the tab facing up, +15 is at the right (red cable), -15 at the left (blue cable)
raisinbag
OK great! Thanks for the replies. To just to ultra confirm, if you were to look at the original picture I posted at beginning of thread (from the blacet site.) that diagram would be from behind then, where the cables feed in. Your image is most helpful, I was just making sure it wasn't mirror image or something.

Cheers,
xpmtl
can't make it any clearer smile
raisinbag
THANKS experiMENTAL smile that rules. I just didnt want to make all my cables and be backwards. I'm already a kinda backwards guy. Thanks again, this is HUGELY helpful.
raisinbag
Just a quick question, why are there two grounds? I notice on the evenfall vcf I'm building right now, that the salder pads on the pcb are connected. So is the second ground wire redundant or is there a reason for having two? Can generally just use just one ground wire when building cables? Or should I always make cable with all 4?
e-grad
I think, in modern modular synths Tony/Oakley is the only one who intentionally uses two different grounds:

Quote:
The chosen Oakley power buss comprises of +15V and -15V lines with two grounds. These grounds are not connected together as in the MOTM. They are joined only at the power supply in a wholly Oakley Modular.

In an Oakley modular one of the grounds, pin 2, goes straight to the power supply’s star point. This is the analogue reference point and is correctly called 0V or module ground. This is the same as the MOTM ground. The second ground is on pin 3. This is also connected to the power supply’s star ground. But this ground is connected only to the metal lugs of the sockets on each module and nothing else on the module. It is this connection that sets the potential of the patch lead’s screening and the metal case of the modular. This way it is impossible for ground currents to travel down the inserted patch cords, since the panel is isolated from the system ground except at one point.

http://www.oakleysound.com/dizzy3-bg.pdf
raisinbag
Great thanks. I remember reading somewhere On PAIA web site about making sure that you wire each ground to its appropriate place. I will have to dig that up. But in the meantime I can just make 3 wire cables, until I build an Oakley.
e-grad
Quote:
Be very careful not to interchange (G) and (sg) on any 97xx modules as this corruption of the module's Star Ground system will guarantee "noise". If the power supply has only a single ground, run separate wires from the (G) and (sg) of each 97xx module back to this single ground

http://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/9700faq.htm
raisinbag
OMG d'oh! we're not worthy It totally didn't occur to me what sg was until now. Hahaha thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1