MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Things to add to Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Things to add to Volta
Analog>Plugins
1. A midi recieve light on the plugin interface to show that Volta is recieving midi, helps with trouble shooting.

2. A trigger in the calibration setup as not all synths can access a constant volume on the oscilator without being triggered.

3. A simple patch save interface for each calibration (unless I'm being thick and haven't figured it out yet).

4. A setting on the trigger to set it to different types for different synths, at the moment there is only one type of trigger. On my Kenton Pro midi to CV interface there are many types of trigger. Although I have only tested Volta on my Sequential Pro-1 so it might not be a problem.
Analog>Plugins
5. And Stretta you're going to love this, how about having an option on the CV Voltage basic module in Volta that gives you an ADSR with an amount option. So at 0 it would function the same as the basic CV pitch module but with the amount increased you could use the ADSR to have a pitch envelope without tying up another output/module.

Would be great for monosynth owners to have a pitch envelope rolled into the standard pitch module.
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
2. A trigger in the calibration setup as not all synths can access a constant volume on the oscilator without being triggered.

You mean a gate, right?
Analog>Plugins
Yeah sorry gate.
alt-mode
Analog>Plugins wrote:
1. A midi recieve light on the plugin interface to show that Volta is recieving midi, helps with trouble shooting.

Most DAWs have a way to see incoming MIDI. A light might be nice but I tend to look always at the transport area in Logic for this myself.

Quote:

Yes, the "Preview" function allows you to hear the calibration but a "send a gate dammit" button would be useful for hearing what is going on better. I would also like to be able to play notes when in the calibration screen, even if I can't while it is actually calibrating.

Quote:
3. A simple patch save interface for each calibration (unless I'm being thick and haven't figured it out yet).

I *think* this is possible but haven't checked lately.

Quote:
4. A setting on the trigger to set it to different types for different synths, at the moment there is only one type of trigger. On my Kenton Pro midi to CV interface there are many types of trigger. Although I have only tested Volta on my Sequential Pro-1 so it might not be a problem.

I don't understand this. There are gates, triggers, ADSRs all available. What am I missing?

Quote:
5. And Stretta you're going to love this, how about having an option on the CV Voltage basic module in Volta that gives you an ADSR with an amount option. So at 0 it would function the same as the basic CV pitch module but with the amount increased you could use the ADSR to have a pitch envelope without tying up another output/module.

With the AU plugin, there are ways to add outputs together to make this happen. This is what I got from one of the developers when I asked how to add an LFO to a pitch output:
"This is doable, but it takes a little forethought to manage it correctly:

- Add a voice control source to output slot 1; its envelope/gate component will be in output slot 2.
- Enable the voice LFO, and make sure it's in output slot 3.
- Create two multi-out aux tracks for Volta in Logic's mixer. Assign the input of the first to Volta 3–4 and the input of the second to Volta 5–6; assign the output of both to the same physical output pair.
- Play a note: both the pitch CV and the LFO CV are sent to the same physical output and combined. The levels of the aux tracks determine the ratio at which they will be combined. e.g. Set the first aux track to unity and the second to -6 dB to apply the LFO at 50%.

Just remember not to use output slot 4 in Volta, or whatever you put there will be combined with the V1 envelope CV in slot 2. Actually, moving the voice LFO over from slot 3 to slot 4 would change the vibrato to tremolo, so go nuts and experiment with it.

At the moment, this process is only possible with the AU, as output slots in the MAS version currently cannot be assigned to the same physical output."

Eric
[/quote]
bar|none
Yeah there is a lot of stuff you can do if you are creative about it.

Haven't even talked about recording your CV yet as a sample and playing it back or reversing it, or applying envelopes to existing CV envelopes or all kinds of madness that is possible.

It's a playground. Volta just gave us the key to the gate.
Analog>Plugins
I still think a simple built in adsr and lfo on the cv interface module would be a lot simpler.

Abit like how you can choose gate, trigger or adsr on the env module.
stretta
Here is my (edited) wish list. Let's just get the obvious out of the way.

scala support
opportunistic calibration
contour sequencer
OSC support (MAS only, unfortunately)
active gain control on calibration inputs
option for sequencers to stop when transport is stopped
add velocity option to modify sustain and/or time scale
reset sequence on stop or rtz
bi/uni polar switch for sources (makes Buchla control more useful)
inverted envelopes/gates/triggers
MIDI learn for parameters
clock start/stop/resume (add another module to clock)
map 'calibrate all' to tune request MIDI message
drum machine trigger module (MIDI input, multiple trigger outputs)
scaling and summing of outputs
polyphonic aftertouch
Eight-stage, 4x(1 to 4)parameter morphing stored voltage source
accelerating/decelerating trigger module
arbitrary breakpoint envelope
user-designed LFOs
multiple MIDI channels
midi import/export
randomize sequencer
VST version - Mac
VST version - Windows
Analog>Plugins
Fixed your list for you in order of importence hihi hihi

VST version - Windows
Easy preset saving ability
scala support
opportunistic calibration
contour sequencer
OSC support (MAS only, unfortunately)
active gain control on calibration inputs
option for sequencers to stop when transport is stopped
add velocity option to modify sustain and/or time scale
reset sequence on stop or rtz
bi/uni polar switch for sources (makes Buchla control more useful)
inverted envelopes/gates/triggers
MIDI learn for parameters
clock start/stop/resume (add another module to clock)
map 'calibrate all' to tune request MIDI message
drum machine trigger module (MIDI input, multiple trigger outputs)
scaling and summing of outputs
polyphonic aftertouch
Eight-stage, 4x(1 to 4)parameter morphing stored voltage source
accelerating/decelerating trigger module
arbitrary breakpoint envelope
user-designed LFOs
multiple MIDI channels
midi import/export
randomize sequencer
VST version - Mac
Bath House
My #1 is "force sequencer to scales" - should be ridiculously easy to implement. C major, D Dorian, F# lydian...
kosh
I’ve just started with Volta (haven’t we all) and am loving all the
potential. Here are a few dream features for me (and apologies
if any of these are already possible – I'm still exploring).

MODULATION MATRIX
where LFO, Env, Ramps can FM and AM each other
Additional mod by keyboard velocity, pressure and pitch
Lag processing and quantizing might be cool too
Sample and Hold (with user definable inputs)
Comparator

LFOs
Extend range from zero to upper audio limit
FM control by keyboard pitch, mod wheel, other LFOs, Ramps, Envelopes, etc
AM control by velocity, mod wheel, other LFOs, Ramps, Envelopes, etc
See Mod Matrix above
Quadrature LFOs mmmmm
Source of Uncertainty Functionality (including random gates / trigs)

EXTENDED ENVELOPES
Longer Attack and decay times and ability to shape envelope curves
Add in VC control of ADSR times and levels (see mod matrix above)

VELOCITY
Control over velocity curves

TRIGGERS & GATES
Configure for different types – Buchla style, S-Trig, V-Trig

GREATER PITCH BEND RANGE

CV AND TRIGGGER SEQUENCERS
Start/stop sync and well as free play

PORTAMENTO
User definable portamento curves

ALTERNATE TUNINGS
Preset and User Definable

SAVED SETTINGSs Per Output and Overall

DEDICATED CV CONVERTER BOX
Optimized for CV use (full voltage range, appropriate jacks)
Ground Jacks
Software Switchable Outputs for 1V/Oct, Korg Hz/V, and Buchla type
Dedicated sync outs – including DIN Sync – with start and stop triggers
CV IN to record and edit within Performer
Trigger / Gate IN to edit within Performer
Even better if available as Banana option :-)))
MrDys
Any chance of getting Volta to go the opposite way? (i.e. send voltages/gates from the modular to create/control sequencer notes/MIDI/CC params?)
alt-mode
MrDys wrote:
Any chance of getting Volta to go the opposite way? (i.e. send voltages/gates from the modular to create/control sequencer notes/MIDI/CC params?)

You need an interface that can take in DC voltages. So far, none has been found. A Volta-specific interface is needed.

Eric
stretta
Quote:
Any chance of getting Volta to go the opposite way?

That opens up a whole world of possibilities. It also requires DC-coupled inputs, which is very rare. Most, if not all of the people using Volta are using MOTU interfaces and none of them have DC coupled inputs.

As many people have pointed out, a dedicated hardware box is next logical step. I have spent as much time thinking about what could be done with this technology, as I have Volta in its current form, I assure you.
LDT
Quote:
That opens up a whole world of possibilities.

Hell yeah!

Quote:
a dedicated hardware box is next logical step.

A CV/audio in/out interface. It would be a must-have for so many modular owners.
Analog>Plugins
But VST version would make my life so much easier.... or if Steinberg supported AU plugins, but that's never going to happen :(

Having said that I would definatly buy a dedicated Volta interface if Motu built one.
Analog>Plugins
As mentioned before but placed in the correct topic d'oh!

Quote:
Stretta, could we please have the ability to save individual tuning presets for each of the synths a user might have?

I can load the standard presets but these are usless to me as they are not calibrated to the synths I have.

Basically I would like to be able to calibrate the Pro-1 and then save the calibration in Volta. That way I won't have to keep calibrating it (maybe once every few months), and can get working nice and quick without having to lose sound on the synth that I have set up due to having to set the synth up for calibration smile
1nput0utput
Analog>Plugins wrote:
As mentioned before but placed in the correct topic d'oh!

Quote:
Stretta, could we please have the ability to save individual tuning presets for each of the synths a user might have?

I can load the standard presets but these are usless to me as they are not calibrated to the synths I have.

Basically I would like to be able to calibrate the Pro-1 and then save the calibration in Volta. That way I won't have to keep calibrating it (maybe once every few months), and can get working nice and quick without having to lose sound on the synth that I have set up due to having to set the synth up for calibration smile

Even simpler than that would be to save the calibration parameters with the plug-in preset. I would require no additional UI in the plug-in itself.

For instance, in DP I just set up a simple Volta patch with calibrated voice pitch control sources. I want to use this config in another project, so I saved a plug-in preset. When I recall the preset, the pitch control source calibration is not recalled. All the pitch control sources and step sequencers must be re-calibrated after the preset is recalled.
Analog>Plugins
I think a preset saving system within the plugin would be better as then you don't have to rely on the different daw hosts saving and loading properly.

It's a bit more reliable that way.
bar|none
I agree with "1nput0utput" because that is the "standard" way plugins save their presets and it works with all hosts because it is part of the AU and VST specs.

> All the pitch control sources and step sequencers must be re-calibrated after the preset is recalled.
Ok, so for calibration data, that could be stored in an special calibration file? Are calibration setting orthoginal to presets?

And while your doing that...also add plugin properties than can be midi mapped. That's also a standard plugin feature and I'd love to be able to grab some of the properties like "offset" and such. Also this allows for parameter automation.
sine
kosh wrote:

GREATER PITCH BEND RANGE

I don't have Volta yet. What is the pitch bend range?

Are 14-bit CC's supported, or does the smoothing option make 14-bit unnecessary?
stretta
Quote:
I don't have Volta yet. What is the pitch bend range?

12 semitones, up and down independently.

Quote:
Are 14-bit CC's supported, or does the smoothing option make 14-bit unnecessary?

Pitch bend is high resolution. NRPNs are difficult for DAWs to deal with and edit because they have no way to tell a NRPN from a CC. The data looks all garbled. Most controllers send simple MIDI CCs.

If you want high resolution, the solution is to use Volta's RAMP object and leverage the high resolution automation system in your DAW.
vcs365
had volta running my VCS3 for the last hour and for me scalable voltage output from LFOs, sequencers and envelopes are big musts. without getting some mods done I'm limited to just two CV inputs on the VCS so i'm finding that routing multiple CV sources to a single destination (e.g. step sequener & LFO to pitch) is very handy - but i'm stuck with both sources kicking out max range of voltage and no way of independently trimming them without losing my second input.

scalable output / depth controls / software vcas please

same goes for inverter switches

please please please smile
doctorvague
vcs365 wrote:

I agree!

But you really need to write this to MOTU to do any good.
Well actually Stretta says to post it here according to the READ THIS FIRST sticky:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5136
I'd do both. And then hope they are listening...
1nput0utput
vcs365 wrote:
had volta running my VCS3 for the last hour and for me scalable voltage output from LFOs, sequencers and envelopes are big musts. without getting some mods done I'm limited to just two CV inputs on the VCS so i'm finding that routing multiple CV sources to a single destination (e.g. step sequener & LFO to pitch) is very handy - but i'm stuck with both sources kicking out max range of voltage and no way of independently trimming them without losing my second input.

same goes for inverter switches

please please please smile

You can scale Volta's output signals by adjusting the auxiliary track faders that route CV between Volta and the audio interface. (That's the required configuration when you're using Volta in Logic or Live. In DP, use the AU version of Volta instead of the MAS version, and you'll have the same control.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2