MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Aluminum Panel Guage???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Aluminum Panel Guage???
nihilist
Hello,
what is the standard guage thickness for panels?
andrewF
2mm is nice, I think thats what the 'Best of CGS' panels are.
recently mine are 2.5mm
ersatzplanet
The Doepfer mechanical spec page says the front panels are 2mm thick. http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm We use the closest gauge that Metalphoto of Cincinnati offers which is more like 1.59mm (0.625").
Anything in that range will work.
-James
daverj
ersatzplanet wrote:
The Doepfer mechanical spec page says the front panels are 2mm thick. http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100m_e.htm We use the closest gauge that Metalphoto of Cincinnati offers which is more like 1.59mm (0.625").
-James

0.625" ?? That's a thick panel. hihi hihi

I've been doing mine with the .090" panels (2.28mm)
sduck
MOTM format panels are 3mm
ersatzplanet
daverj wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:
-James

0.625" ?? That's a thick panel. hihi hihi

I've been doing mine with the .090" panels (2.28mm)

LOL - ha, that of course should have been 0.0625"
-James
mikecameron
on a related note, does anyone know what type of aluminum is best used? I bought some 6061 from metal supermarkets and it's just too damn hard to work with.
Dave Kendall
FWIW, if using 3.5mm Cliff 1384 jacks, according to the datasheet, the max recommended panel thickness is 2.5mm.
IMO this works well.

cheers,
Dave
Jarno
I used some 1mm thickness alu, because that's easy to get ovrrhere but that's too thin. 1.5mm seems to be the practical lower limit.
jumunius
mikecameron wrote:
on a related note, does anyone know what type of aluminum is best used? I bought some 6061 from metal supermarkets and it's just too damn hard to work with.

How so? That's what I use, .063" thickness (1.57mm) and it seems ok to me. But it's not like I tried different aluminums and picked my favorite. If there's something easier I'm all ears.

I do sometimes consider something a bit thicker though.
ndkent
Modcan A seems to be about 3.25mm thick, so you might want to start with the format and then see what or if there is a standard
nd595

Yes it is - but in many ways it is easier to work on, especially that it does not catch your (expensive) milling bits and break them.
If you are unhappy and not afraid of posting to Spain I will buy that 6061 off you - please PM me.
BTG
If I need a custom panel cut, are there services I can search for that would get me an aluminum panel for a specific HP width? I'd feel silly buying a bunch of metal working gear for a $15 front panel
daverj
For small Euro panels it's cheapest to buy Doepfer pre-made blank panels. For wider panels it might be worth getting them done by Frontpanel Express. Their shipping costs are high, but if you skip the labeling they are fairly reasonable for blank panels with just the corner mounting holes, or even for complete panels with all the holes you need. A few years ago I had a series of blank panels made by them that just had the mounting holes and then I use them once in a while when I need to drill a new panel and mount something in it.

Getting aluminum cut by the online metal suppliers is going to give you metal that is approximate in size and you will need to file or grind the edges down to get it to the correct size.
Dave Kendall
@ BTG - try a sheet metal works in the local town's industrial area.

It's worth getting a load of different widths cut whilst you're about it. Offering cash helps, and on a couple of occasions I got an even better deal by suggesting they used offcuts. The quality and accuracy was very good - much better than I could get at home. It's worth researching who they do work for by checking their advertising. I'm lucky - the local place does sub-contracted aerospace work, so it's top-notch work.
On two occasions, the equivalent of around $100 US got me enough panels to fill more than 8 - 10 x 3U racks. It works out cheaper per panel if you get a fair few made up.

Works for me!

cheers,
Dave
(BTW, actual dimensions of euro panels can be found on the Doepfer website.)
BTG
I'll give FPE a look then, much easier than trying to sort this on my own, the only downside being that if I screw up the measurements it's expensive. Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1