MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mostly Wiard, All The Time.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Mostly Wiard, All The Time.
subterryanean
Woooow, that's quite impressive, did you have a focus or direction you wanted to take when you started piecing it all together, or did you collect stuff slowly and let it evolve? The reason I ask is that it seems like a really solid mass of modules, with all the drum and custom bits.

I play guitar too, balancing out an eleborate signal chain is deffinitly a process, the biggest problem I run into is when making heavy use of loops, everything can turn into mud really fast.
plord
subterryanean wrote:
Woooow, that's quite impressive, did you have a focus or direction you wanted to take when you started piecing it all together, or did you collect stuff slowly and let it evolve? The reason I ask is that it seems like a really solid mass of modules, with all the drum and custom bits.

There have been variations in the plan, but there was always a plan: a "gamified" multi-voice system, self contained, capable of both East-ish and West-ish timbres, several sources of locked up clock and several ways to randomize, and with multiple ways of segmenting note sequence input from rhythmic input so that very long patterns could be performed. I placed the original order with Grant for 12 modules and the controller; I lucked into a spare Mixo and VCO on the used market. Some parts were always going to be there (Binary Zones, Scale Quantizers) and others were opportunistic pickups that fit into the bigger picture in a solid way. Some of the DIY modules were cost considerations; if I could afford more Envelators and Borg1s I wouldn't have had the 281/292 modules built.

Depending on how I use the Klee and BugPlates, I can pull 7 separate 8 note sequences, one 16 note sequence (Mobius), and 1 32 note sequence (Klee); at the same time as two 8 note gate patterns, two 16 note gate patterns (gate and accent out of the Mobius), and one 32 note gate pattern (Klee); AND with a little work, I can have most of those sequences running off of separate but synced/divided clocks. Although in practice, I usually have only a handful of clock divisions in play; one ongoing experiment is to chain up combinations of VC switches, Binary Zone gate output, and clock trigger patterns to see just how complex I can make a pattern if I start with straight 16ths on the input. Gnee gnee gnee.

All of this came from the basic idea that I wanted the synth to force me out of linear, sit-down-and-write-a-song thinking and turn it into a series of interactive games. Wire, tweak, stop when it sounds good. Increase the odds that the synth will surprise you. The Klee sequencer is a perfect example of this method; I wanted to approach the whole synth that way. Sometimes I patch up the rhythm side separately for an hour before I connect a single audio path screaming goo yo
plord

Houston, we have liftoff.

More interesting stuff to follow.
themanthatwasused
screaming goo yo
Necro bump on this thread.
Hope we mortals can get a few more videos and images of this beast.
thumbs up
Ryota
Impressive!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2