Software Oscilloscope?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Software Oscilloscope?

Post by Kwote » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:37 pm

is there a software version of an Oscilloscope available? i don't really have much room in my studio for a hardware one right now(gotta save room for more modulars).

werdup thun.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:12 pm

yes! I used one for a long time before buying my hardware scope!

here's the one, it's free and works great

http://zeitnitz.de/Christian/Scope/Scope_en.html

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:22 pm

dang. thanks muff!! this is of concern though:

"Signal Sources:

The signals for the oscilloscope can be internal to the computer (MP3 player, function generator etc.) or from external sources (line-in, microphone). For external sources care has to be taken, not to exceed the voltage range of the inputs. The range is usually only ±0.7V !! If higher voltage need to be analyzed, a voltage divider has to be used. Additional protection diodes are recommended in order to avoid any damage to the sound card and to the computer."

do i have any reason to be concerned now or should i just dive right in and start tweakin?
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Here's a Mac scope. I haven't tried it yet, but there is a demo version.

http://www.faberacoustical.com/SignalScopePro/

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:33 pm

i use a Gateway PC but thanks though.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Kwote wrote:dang. thanks muff!! this is of concern though:

"Signal Sources:

The signals for the oscilloscope can be internal to the computer (MP3 player, function generator etc.) or from external sources (line-in, microphone). For external sources care has to be taken, not to exceed the voltage range of the inputs. The range is usually only ±0.7V !! If higher voltage need to be analyzed, a voltage divider has to be used. Additional protection diodes are recommended in order to avoid any damage to the sound card and to the computer."

do i have any reason to be concerned now or should i just dive right in and start tweakin?
good question! I totally do NOT remember how I had the thing connected to my system, but I didn't kill anything.

I'm pretty sure it went like this:

1) Modular -> Attenuator as last module to trim out most of the voltage -> Sound card's Preamp In

2) Close the attenuator module fully, set preamp to unity gain

3) Get a signal coming from the modular

4) Open the PC-Scope and select the soundcard input

5) SLOWLY open the attenuator untill the signal appears on the scope

I used the scope a LOT and never hurt anything. Always good to be careful though!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:13 pm

well i don't have a soundcard or interface. just using the internal one that came with the PC. but i think i'll just keep the atten down like you said and keep the input level on the card down all the way and just slowly move shit up.

thanks for the advice and the links!
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:21 pm

that should work fine with your internal soundcard, i've used it that way also!

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:01 pm

They're probably warning you not to send +/- 5V signal into your soundcard, because it would distort like a mofo.

"Dear sir, your scope program is crap! Everything registers as a square wave!"

:)

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm

i'm guessing you aren't supposed to hook your AC line directly to the sound card...

and thanks for the link :)

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 pm

yeah, your audio is AC and you'll want to send that to the soundcard in order to visualize it - the scope shows negative and positive voltages like any scope should, so you can visualize sinewaves and the like.

the warning is about the amount of SWING in the AC signal. A Blacet VCO outputs ten volts of swing, from -5v to +5v (thats 10v total!)

your soundcard only wants to see about 0.5-0.7 volts of swing. You'll still send an AC signal, you'll just attenuate it to have less voltage at the peaks.

if you are talking about hooking an AC power source up to the scope - sure, why not! be damn careful though, but, sure, you can visualize the ripples in your power. Its an AC voltage source, just like the output of a VCO - although far, far hotter at the power outlet!!! Just be sure to attenuate that down to less than a volt of swing as well if you are crazy enough to want to do it. Oh and make sure your attenuator can deal with 120v hehe

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:14 pm

Awesome-- I'm downloading and installing that as well. Thanks for the links!

EDIT: Just installed it-- it's amazingly cool and works like a charm. This'll really help with tuning my VCO.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:y

if you are talking about hooking an AC power source up to the scope - sure, why not! be damn careful though, but, sure, you can visualize the ripples in your power. Its an AC voltage source, just like the output of a VCO - although far, far hotter at the power outlet!!! Just be sure to attenuate that down to less than a volt of swing as well if you are crazy enough to want to do it. Oh and make sure your attenuator can deal with 120v hehe
:lol: yeah i was talking about from the outlet...when i had an O-scope i never tried it, but i assume they can handle it..no intention of hooking wall power directly to my sound card, just want to look at the cool waveforms...

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:05 pm

Sounds like a good way to kill the sound card and computer. I'd advise not doing that.

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:43 pm

You can make a makeshift oscilloscope out of an old TV. It's more for fun, but if you just want to configure and view wave patterns then it should do the trick. It's extremely easy to do, too--all you need is a dpdt switch and a mono 1/4" input jack. I've made a couple of them.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:56 pm

sgnhh wrote:You can make a makeshift oscilloscope out of an old TV. It's more for fun, but if you just want to configure and view wave patterns then it should do the trick. It's extremely easy to do, too--all you need is a dpdt switch and a mono 1/4" input jack. I've made a couple of them.
that's sounds really interesting. i have an old tv that may end up going to the recycle bin. got some detailed instructions for us?
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Yep. This circuit bending group called Censtron came up with the first instructions on how to do so... since then the proper way to do it has circulated across hacking blogs, but their way is still the best and safest.

http://censtron.com/?p=18#more-18

Gotta love the huge DO NOT ATTEMPT warning. Aside from watching where your hands go, the mod is extremely easy to pull off. The older TV the better (I was unsuccessful in modding a TV from 1991, but successful in doing TVs from 1989 and 1977).

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:19 pm

mine is a freebie i got off a friend back in the day. it was the tv they grew up with. easily 80's for sure. thanks for the link.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Oooh... Very cool.
Thanks for the link! Looks like the best version of this hack that I've come across (and easily the safest).
A few of these (of various sizes) could really look crazy while performing with a modular.

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:05 pm

They're neat. Haven't used mine with a modular yet because... well, I don't have one yet, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to chain them together.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”