MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta on PPC processor?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta on PPC processor?
dvdborn
I'm happy to have just found out about this forum.

Last week I blogged an article about my first experiences with Volta:
Read it here

I use Volta on a PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz / 10.5.7 in combination with Ableton Live 7.0.16 and a MOTU Ultralite mk I.

My main problem is that Volta won't save any settings. It will save the modules but not the modules' settings.

Is anyone else using Volta on a PPC processor machine and having the same problems?

David
http://dvdborn.blogspot.com
stretta
We've reproduced this bug with the AU version of the plug in. This will be addressed in an update.
1nput0utput
As a workaround, you should be able to save a preset for the plug-in before closing the project. It's an extra step and you have to do it every time you change Volta's config, but at least you'll be able to recall settings.
parasitk
Very clear article, thanks!

Just so I'm clear - this (bugs mentioned aside) otherwise runs on a PPC G4 okay?

I'd be using it on a dual 867 Mirrored Door G4 with 10.4.9 - no plans on getting a G5 or better (or 10.5 on that machine) anytime soon!
stretta
Quote:
I'd be using it on a dual 867 Mirrored Door G4 with 10.4.9 - no plans on getting a G5 or better (or 10.5 on that machine) anytime soon!

Volta works on PPCs, but seriously, a G4? eek! Volta hasn't been tested on a computer that old. The last G4 was introduced six years ago, and that model was a dual 1.42 GHz.

Not for nothing, but after my wife's iMac died, I built a dual 3.0GHz/4GB RAM/1TB HD machine based on a Shuttle case for my wife and the BOM came to around $475. She's happily running 10.5. w00t
parasitk
Jeez so I have to buy a new computer now too? razz Seriously yeah it's a G4 and it works GREAT. Why buy a new computer?
stretta
That computer only works great because you're using it to run Digital Performer. Rockin' Banana!
parasitk
stretta wrote:
That computer only works great because you're using it to run Digital Performer. Rockin' Banana!

Haha, yep. It's a dedicated music machine. I run DP, UAD-1 plugins, sometimes Live, MetaSynth, Reaktor, Soundhack... I mean that's basically it. I really don't use softsynths much or any plugins outside of the UAD, so it's great. I don't need/want to mess with a good thing - especially since I can't afford a new computer now or for a long time!

If Volta will run on it fine, then great! Otherwise it'll be a while before I actually pick it up. :sadpanda:
Analog>Plugins
stretta wrote:
Quote:

Volta works on PPCs, but seriously, a G4? eek! Volta hasn't been tested on a computer that old. The last G4 was introduced six years ago, and that model was a dual 1.42 GHz.

Not for nothing, but after my wife's iMac died, I built a dual 3.0GHz/4GB RAM/1TB HD machine based on a Shuttle case for my wife and the BOM came to around $475. She's happily running 10.5. w00t

You built a hackintosh too? It's getting infectious, maybe Macintosh have allowed this to happen on purpose to lure Windows users away.
stretta
Quote:
You built a hackintosh too?

Yes, but I don't feel good about it. At work, I saw about 4-5 iMacs of this same vintage die for no good reason (caps on motherboard exploding), all of which caused a huge pain in my ass. As a life-long Mac-user, I'm somewhat pissed off about this. My wife's iMac also died in a similar fashion. That was the final straw.

So, this was an unexpected expense. I figured I'd try it as an experiment, and find out how much trouble it would be. For about $600 total, I was able to set her up with the Shuttle and a new 22" LCD display - the same price as a mac mini without the display, but the specs of the machine I put together slay the mac mini.

Looking at apple's product line, it is clear they're all about the laptop, which makes sense. But, there is the HUGE hole in the midrange desktop machines. You have the mini at the bottom and the Mac Pro STARTING at $2500. WTF.

It is tough to justify a hackintosh at the mac mini level, but I did it anyway, and I'm pleased with the results (running 24/7 for weeks now - no hiccups), but it is clear to me now that I could configure a completely kick ass system at a fraction of the price of a mac pro.

I'm still running a G5 at home. My wife's humble mac mini replacement is faster than my G5.
Analog>Plugins
Yeah my quad core overclocked to 3.6ghz 8gb ram watercooled PC with a Mac osx 10.5.6 running totally eats my mates brand new mac for about a 1/3 of the cost smile

The only downside for me is the way the mouse slows to a crawl when you slow down the mouse movement, it just moves different to the PC mouse and is hard to get used to.

Plus I have to run Volta through a wrapper i.e Native Instruments Kore.... but I am liking OSX as it uses my quad core a lot better than my PC does.
dvdborn
Hi Stretta,

Good to hear that the bug was reproducable. I'll be looking forward to the update.

I mainly use the PB G4 + Ultralite Mk I as a backup machine for when I'm playing live. I haven't had to use it on stage luckily. My main machine is a MacBook.

Since the G4 and Ultralite were sitting idle in the studio I've decided to dedicate them entirely to Volta under Live 7. And that's running very fine. No CPU spikes whatsoever and 12 outputs to dedicate to Volta.

Cheers,
David
timmah
Analog>Plugins wrote:

The only downside for me is the way the mouse slows to a crawl when you slow down the mouse movement, it just moves different to the PC mouse and is hard to get used to.

I hate this as well, but you can either get a kensington mouse with the mouseworks software, (i got an expert mouse and it works great) or use a program called USB overdrive. both the programs can adjust the acceleration curve so you can fit it much closer to windows.
Kent
I believe that the last G4 was the PowerBook 1.64GHz which was discontinued on April 24th 2006. I've got one... and they totally suck. I've had to perform quite a bit of soldering just to keep this hunk of doo running.

The Intel MacBook Pros are everything that the last few PowerBooks should have been if Motorola had any kind of plan for the Velocity Engine chips.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1