MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Flame Talking Synth issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Flame Talking Synth issue
Wiktorion
Yo!

I recently got a Flame Talking Synth module, and I've been having some issues with lag on the pots and CV ins, especially in phomenes and sentences mode.

Basically, when I change a value, for example pitch from my MIDI-CV, in synth mode, there's a slight delay in pitch change. Almost unnoticeable. When I switch the module into Phomenes mode, the lag gets way worse. The delay from when I twist a knob until it actually changes in the module is almost a second. It's almost two seconds in sentences mode.

The trigger in is fine, it has no delay, neither on gate in or on the manual button.

It's a brand new module, dated 11/11, and supposedly tested.

Has anyone else had these kind of issues? If I need to update the software, how would I do so? Should I contact Flame directly?

Thankful for any help.
raulsworldofsynths
You are not alone. I really really wanted to like this module. I owned the talking synth for about 5 months. Bought new. In the end I was not satisfied with the triggering of samples and options to get what I wanted.

When triggered using my midi to cv module I expected direct access to a sample by pressing a key but since it sounded as though these samples were not truncated as closely as they could have been, when playing one and going to the next, as you said in sentences and even words it seemed slow to respond.

Perhaps the issue is getting spoiled by digital sampling in the past. Where you get this instant access. I don't know enough about how the module works but I knew I wanted that sound to be instant and easily manipulated.

What I wound up using for these sounds was a circuit bent device with a speakjet sound vocabulary. Its called a Syntax Cataract if you are interested, around the price of the module used.
Worked out nicely.

Don't get me wrong this module has nice features, and certainly it has it's place and uses. Just not to my liking.

Hope this helps.

Raul
dude
is there any possibility of midi being involved in the problem? and when we say "sample", isnt that speakjet chip synthesizing those sounds and not playing samples? maybe i have misunderstood what is at play. i am getting closer to buying one of these. more info would be great.
dude
hmm, so that is normal behavior. why do all of flame's products seem half baked in some way? in this case is it just a limitation of the chip used or is it some sort of implementation problem? i wonder if this thing would still work for my purposes or if it would piss me off. i suppose only one way to find out.
Wiktorion
It really shouldn't be normal behaviour. I expect close to zero latency on these type of things. I was planning on using this to do cool, long sentences with phomenes mode but with this lag on all parameters, it's impossible to do so. I read the manual back to back several times before I bought this module, and this was never mentioned. I almost want my money back.

I sent a mail to flame, asking if this lag is supposed to exist. If so, I'm sadly returning my talking synth. It has so much potential to be extremely fun.
raulsworldofsynths
Not to derail the thread, but thought youd like to hear an alternative i am fairly happy with.
Here's a sample of the device I was referring to. After doing a little research I found its actually a different voice chip. .Circuit bent known as Syntax Cataract by glitchmachines. So the crazy types of effects are possible when implemented.

hmmm.....
dude
so does anybody who has/uses this thing enjoy the interface and think it works well for what it does?
Cat-A-Tonic
dude wrote:
so does anybody who has/uses this thing enjoy the interface and think it works well for what it does?

The MIDI *dual* version is a lot of fun.
I haven't had any problems with its operation.
It has a very distinct sound.

I can't comment on the Euro version with VC.
dude
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
dude wrote:

does it sport fucked up 'lag' behavior in phoneme or sentence mode?
bluemeanie
the eurorack talk synth wont update the the changes you make to the knobs(or cv) while the words or phonemes are playing

if the the speed is set fast you will notice the effect of what you describe less

having weird voices coming from inside the modular is pretty cool me thinks

i've noticed playing with the gate time into the trigger in will have an effect on the words and phonemes....
Cat-A-Tonic
dude wrote:
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
dude wrote:

does it sport fucked up 'lag' behavior in phoneme or sentence mode?

No,
Everything on the MIDI Talking Synth seems to respond immediately to knob/joystick/switch changes in SEQ mode.
Joystick motions are recordable.

In Expander mode most controls are disabled, but Speed remains important.
When you play chords it assembles phrases in the order that you hit the keys.
dude
well it showed up and is awesome. the lag spoken of isn't a lag but simply the time it takes to move through whatever phoneme or sentence has been requested of the speaking chip. mine seems to work perfectly and sounds so fucking good with the phongene. what a team. i was worried about how this lil guy would feel but it a ton of fun.
a scanner darkly
So CV has no effect until it finishes playing whatever phoneme or sentence is being played at the moment?
dude
i haven't done full cv testing but that is how the knobs work. it doesn't get in my way for making talking robot noises in my synth as of yet though.
RubberCityNoise
dude wrote:
it doesn't get in my way for making talking robot noises in my synth as of yet though.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
lionelfischer
wow the cataract is cool

i have a talking synth and love it. it does a lot more than talk too...
Robert McLeod
dude wrote:
well it showed up and is awesome. the lag spoken of isn't a lag but simply the time it takes to move through whatever phoneme or sentence has been requested of the speaking chip. mine seems to work perfectly and sounds so fucking good with the phongene. what a team. i was worried about how this lil guy would feel but it a ton of fun.

Dude I will commit to a minimum $5.00 donation to Muff's on viewing a video of this module with your Modcan Touch Sequencer, that seems like an interesting combination... ModCan! grin
dude
i would love to do a video, in fact a have a few planned but i am smack dab in the middle of nursing midterms which leave me about 10 minutes per day with the synth (if any time at all). the TS and talking synth would be good fiends Jedi
MrBiggs
dude, I'm glad you figured this out and explained it here. I'd been describing this behavior as a "lag" as well but I believe it may be more what you describe, that it has to finish what it's saying, if you will, before saying something else.
When I ordered the Talking Synth module last summer I imagined something along the lines of what Raul described: setting up sequences to create words and sentences. I mean, why not make my synth say "yo wife, grab me a beer?" With Silent Way, one could create entire banks of pre-set sentences and phrases and use them judiciously in a live setting. However, once I received mine and started fiddling with it this seemed like it was not gonna work. The FTS seems much more adept at R2D2-on-meth sequences and less actual words and phrases. I'm actually looking forward to running it through a Cwejman MMF1 I got recently, with the dual peak resonance, and seeing how it plays with the sound.

I say all this without having actually ever tried programming any phrases. I may try that, though my work sched will keep me from getting into this for another ten days or so. (As an aside, work schedules suck. I have a Timeline pedal, a uFold, an A189-1, and a Dixie that have not even been plugged in yet as I complete a book before the 29 Feb deadline...Agh.)

We need a Soundcloud group and/or a thread here with nothing but FTS output. Anyone actually programmed anything interesting with theirs?
dude
so, this is no demo, but maybe some fun.
MrBiggs
Every now and then I think that the FTS is too much invested into its goofy trick, but then I spent ten minutes with it or hear something like this and I run to the synth and hug it. Hug

I use mine with a Tyme Sefari. It's motherfucking bacon yo
dude
Yeah, I think it just does what it does. Its a ton of fun.
Arturo00
Hey guys. So I got my talking synth yesterday. It's very cool and adds a whole new dimension to my rig.

I did however notice that when it's in Trigger and WORDS mode it only plays the last "word" that I pressed when I started. The only time it plays different words is if the gate and CV note are sent at the same time, like if triggered from a keyboard.

What I'm doing is sending triggers from my uStep (sometimes only 1/2 or even whole notes) and LFO from the MATHS into CV4. It works as expected in PHONEME mode. It also works fine if it's in Hold mode, but I have to rely on the internal LFO for triggering.

I don't mind if it doesn't move on to the next word until it's done the word it's on, but it just repeats the same word over and over.

What gives? Is this normal?

ps. There needs to be more Talking Synth demos...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1