MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY Vacuum Tubes! (Cool video)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY Vacuum Tubes! (Cool video)
Muff Wiggler
Seriously! Very cool

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/x3wrzo_fabrication-dune-lampe-triode _tech

now this dude has some SERIOUS DIY skills, wow
Muff Wiggler
watching that made me really remark on what an incredible substance glass is, and how satisfying it must be to work with for people who know what they are doing
synthetic
He should build some Telefunken EF14s and sell them to U47 owners. That's one tube I can't believe no one has remade, they sell for over $1000 a piece last time I checked. And everyone would buy a real reissue U47 if it was priced realistically.
synthetic
That was insane.
metasonix
<i>He should build some Telefunken EF14s and sell them to U47 owners.</i>

Seriously, that will never happen. The big thing about the VF14 was that it was made to a VERY high standard of quality, as it was purely made for WWII military radio front ends. Telefunken were ruthless about choosing the lowest-noise and least microphonic production, and scrapping the rest. Plus, VF14s were made to minimize things like grid emission, to allow use in high-impedance preamps. Georg Neumann used them in his microphones, because Germany was bankrupt after the war, and he had plenty of cheap war surplus to choose from. (it was a VERY difficult tube to make, and I doubt Mr. Paillard could do it.)

If anyone made such a tube today, it would either not be as well-made and people would complain, or else it would cost MORE than new old stock.

There are small low-noise tubes still made for RF applications--the planar ceramic triodes made by MPD for the preamp front-ends of military radars, such as the AN/SPY1 missile-tracking radar in the AEGIS system used on US Navy ships. They still use tubes because tubes are immune to electrical damage that might be caused by things like back-EMF from the transmitter, or EMP weapons that might be used by enemies in the field. These tiny triodes sell for >$1000 apiece IN QUANTITY--you will never see them in audio equipment.

http://www.mpdcomponents.com/planartriodes.htm

Sorry, the economics of such tubes are no longer tenable for anything other than high-cost military gear. The vintage recording-gear market is driven by snobs, but there aren't enough of them to support custom tube manufacture.
synthetic
That makes sense, that the scale isn't there to develop anything like that.

I was talking to the recording buyer at Guitar Center a while ago, and he said that every mic line comes in with a mic that "...sounds like a U47. If I hear that one more time..."
decaying.sine
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Seriously! Very cool

I just watched this video after seeing it mentioned on tubesynthdiy and was glad to see it had been posted here by Muff as well. I'll reboot the thread since it has been awhile since the original posting so others can check it out. It's about 20 minutes, but it is fascinating.

I think we need a zombie emoticon for "Night of the Living Thread."
decaying.sine
This is the best I could do with my limited bbcode imagination.

zombie

:zombie

lol
sgnelson
wow, I'm glad this was bumped back up, that was amazing. It seemed like a lot of the guy's equipment was self-made as well.
decaying.sine
I was wondering about that too. I figured some hand made tools or really old tools. Eric Barbour may know about that.

The whole thing gave me this feeling that it must be a labor of love for this gentleman.

Then I had to laugh because I was thinking that if someone carefully edited a video me trying to identify something basic like a 100K resistor as I stuffed it into the wrong whole on a perfectly labeled PCB, then it would appear to be a "labor of love" as well. hihi
Celtic Peasant
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Seriously! Very cool

It's absolutely amazing! Wow! Thanks for sharing this Muff.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1