MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Next up from Manhattan Analog - the MA35 VCF/A
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Next up from Manhattan Analog - the MA35 VCF/A
negativspace
Now that my thoroughly unsexy but eminently useful 4x4x4 passive multiples have shipped, I've been working on a couple of much more exciting modules. The Mutinator has a thread around here somewhere, but most of my focus has been on this thing:

This is a modular riff on the back end of an MS-10. It's an internally-coupled VCF and VCA in 12hp. The two PCBs are stacked and parallel-mounted with a total depth (including power cable) of ~42mm. I have not measured current consumption, and won't bother until the circuit is 100% finished and ready for production. It is reverse-power protected using a passive scheme I came up with, along with diodes on the rails just in case. And the cable orientation is marked in the top copper layer.

The VCF portion is based on the Korg35 filter design, although it's obviously implemented using discrete transistors rather than Korg35 ICs. It is switchable between LP and HP modes of operation - this can either be done manually with the toggle switch or with CV via the mode jack. The VCA is based on the MS-10's 'single-transistor' design. It's a little raw and a little noisy, in all of the very best ways. I think it sounds fantastic. I'm excited about this one!

It's not quite ready to go - I still have a PCB revision or two to test out and a little bit more mechanical engineering to do - but I want to stress that the unit you see in the photograph is a working prototype. It's plugged in and making sounds, and every feature works. The hard part's done. I expect these to be available in stores by April/May of 2012.

This module uses very little current - 10mA, about 5mA from each rail.

Those of you with eagle eyes (who also read the DIY forum) will probably recognize this thing as the E.A.S. Miss 10 VCF/VCA with a couple of additional features - and you would be correct. Mike and I have an arrangement. thumbs up
ultrashock
personnaly I like the big knob - only a few modules can afford some really big knobs. what is its origin?
negativspace
The big knob is my favorite part of the design. hihi It's a Davies 1913BW, which I get from Mouser.
rico loverde
really awesome, you have been kicking some serious ass lately!!!!
phono1337
looks delicious screaming goo yo
AntManBee
Congratulations - I was really pleased when you started manufacturing the mix under the Manhatan Analog name.

This looks like it will be great - does it have the same ugly distorted wild and unpredictable resonance as the MS-20 filter - that's what seems to be lacking in other MS-20 type euro filters?

I'm glad you've used the Korg35 as the basis - I love that terrible shitty filter and it's one of the main reasons I keep an MS-20 - it's one of those classic cheap-as-chips designs like the Fuzzface. I'm sure that Korg just wanted a cheap to produce semi-modular with which they could undercut ARP and had no idea it would endure in people's affection.
Tomek Mirt
Big knob mmm... applause
WaveRider
AntManBee wrote:
Congratulations - I was really pleased when you started manufacturing the mix under the Manhatan Analog name.

yeah your stuff looks awesome, specs are great, nice that there is another great little module builder out there!

This filter could be the good one as ms sounding filters go...
negativspace
Cheers, guys. And thanks!

AntManBee wrote:

This looks like it will be great - does it have the same ugly distorted wild and unpredictable resonance as the MS-20 filter - that's what seems to be lacking in other MS-20 type euro filters?

Unfortunately, while I have owned an MS-20 before it was about 15 years ago, and I have no idea which VCF circuit was in it in the first place. My ability to directly compare them is extremely limited. So I dialed up a little arpeggio and some LFO/EG CV and recorded a little wiggling. It's mostly at or just past the edge of oscillation, but there's a little no-res thrown in there just for kicks. This audio is coming from the unit shown in the photo above.

[s]http://www.soundcloud.com/negativspace/ma35res[/s]

Direct Link
Esnan
Love the sound!
Monobass
Awesome. I much prefer the MS-10 filter to the MS-20... but maybe in part that was the distortion of the MS-10 VCA too. nice, drums through an MS-10 with hi-res and cranked to distort is instant Aphex Twin.
vav
Ooohh that sounds GREAT!
numan7
woah oohhhh-ahhhhh -- very, very nice & thanks for making this one a manhattan-analogue module!!

i've been giving myself the occasional kick or 2 for not having taken advantage of last year's E.A.S Miss 10 DIY project (although who knows when i would have gotten around to acquiring the parts, making panels and soldering everything up, even had i done acquired the boards).

hmm, so would the vca response-law be logarithmic for a single-transistor design?.. or is that not pertinent to what it does (ie, add raw noisy 'character')?

also, is there any chance of you releasing a similar-look Miss 10 VCOs module as well at some point in the future? It sure would look fine with 2 of those big black knobs!

cheers
Mitchk1989
oh jeez... I already have a korgo... do I need this too?

what I mean to say is: do the ms-10 and ms-20 filters really sound that different?
PF
The big knob is so cool, and the design as usual... we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
mantiwhore
Big knobs rule, all that that trimpot/4hp madness must end!
applause
ryandfl
Looks awesome. This statement increased my interest -

Monobass wrote:
drums through an MS-10 with hi-res and cranked to distort is instant Aphex Twin.
Monobass
ryandfl wrote:
Looks awesome. This statement increased my interest -

Monobass wrote:
drums through an MS-10 with hi-res and cranked to distort is instant Aphex Twin.

It's that raw low-squealy crunchy drum sound that he rinsed on the earlier more raw stuff and then perfected on 'I care because you do'.

Maybe you can take an MS-20 there with lots of work but on the MS-10 it's just there from the get-go.
Alienation
Bummer Soundcloud file isn't available. What happened??
negativspace
I'm not sure what's up with that, it's available. Try the direct link.
machetemirage
Speaking of Aphex Twin, the distortion/filter sweeps at the end of Windowlicker sound like some MS-20 feedback sorcery. Such a raw sound! Dead Banana Can someone correct/confirm?
Monobass
mantiwhore wrote:
Big knobs rule, all that that trimpot/4hp madness must end!
applause

Yeah totally agree, and keeping the sockets down the bottom too.. great design that I wish some of the more established module makers would commit to also.

It feels like the tide is against the 4hp thing at least, we just need to phase trimpots out again and Euro will have found it's optimum form I reckon! Everything will probably be 2hp smaller than it would have been in Doepfer hihi
negativspace
Hey now, let's go easy on the 4hp thing, small modules have their place! They also make up my entire catalog at the moment. Mr. Green

But yeah, a filter needs to be tweaked and thus begs for a big knob.
goab
Well now, this actually sounds pretty much exactly like my MS-10 (which I gave a good Wiggle w. the Euro just two hours ago). Nicely done!
amnesia
machetemirage wrote:
Speaking of Aphex Twin, the distortion/filter sweeps at the end of Windowlicker sound like some MS-20 feedback sorcery. Such a raw sound! Dead Banana Can someone correct/confirm?

I serioualy doubt it. Sounds like computer work.Metasynth I am talking about right at the end, not the rocky guitar part.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10