MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Components
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Components
flight
So as not to clutter other threads, I figured this would be a good place to talk about component sourcing, suggestions, and group buys.
Moog$FooL$
always an interesting idea.
what did u have in mind??

right now i can't think of a lot components i'm in need of, but might be into something i can't think of at the moment.

Darren
chromium
I'm building up a couple of the J.H. Living VCOs. I found these precision pots on Ebay - seems like an OK deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT &item=130283627522

Still looking for a good deal on the Vernier dials.

Anyone have suggestions on these?
panda30y
I might be interested as well if it falls into stuff I'll need for my diy projects.
Moog$FooL$
oh yeah.... forgot, i'd be into a group buy of some decent 1/8 jacks & plugs.
also, possibly some fancy-ass knobs that are pricey when a small amount are bought. maybe something like those used by Livewire or Modcan.

i did a search on vernier dials after i read chromium's reply & noticed some interesting knobs & dials on a site.... but they weren't cheap.
flight
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
always an interesting idea.
what did u have in mind??

Well, it was inspired by this thread, but I am always trying to track something down or will it into existence. My focus is usually euro-based, but I come across all kinds of stuff in my searches.

{edited to fix link format}
Soy Sos
For sure let me know what and when you've found something.
flight
@ Moog$FooL$: What jack specs are you looking for?
bar|none
I need some jacks as well, don't need a group buy but I need to source some of the 1/8" jacks, either the ones used on the PB or the style like on the livewire or makenoise stuff. Just no cliff jacks.

Making some mults and a breakout box for volta.
Soy Sos
I'd buy maybe up to 100 1/8 jacks.
flight
@ bar|none: The PB jacks are Mouser "Kobiconn" (their house brand) 16PJ137. They are nicely priced:
1: $0.29
10: $0.23
100: $0.20
500: $0.19

There is another jack that I forgot to mention in the other thread: PJ301B. It even has the shouldered pins paults! wink
I found a manufacturer that will make these with a metal M6 bushing. I like these, but I can't use them on the PB because they are too wide. :(

And this is the other jack they are looking at making for me: PJ301MXX.

@ S²: What style are you looking for?
krisp14u
flight wrote:

I would be interested in a sample of that part and if there as good as the Kobiconn I would be more than interested in some Guinness ftw!
what sort of price you looking at
wetterberg
krisp14u wrote:
flight wrote:

I would be interested in a sample of that part and if there as good as the Kobiconn I would be more than interested in some Guinness ftw!
what sort of price you looking at
+1!
wetterberg
also, how's about some group buy action for Cliff Jacks? I hate them, but need them for my Fonik pcbs.
sandyb
wetterberg wrote:
also, how's about some group buy action for Cliff Jacks? I hate them, but need them for my Fonik pcbs.

i'd be up for that - i've got a few things to build that need them and it would be good to have some spares to replace on modules if i need to
wetterberg
starting to look like we could use a "component" subforum rather than a single thread... perhaps inside the DIY forum? Can you do that?
sandyb
wetterberg wrote:
starting to look like we could use a "component" subforum rather than a single thread... perhaps inside the DIY forum? Can you do that?

you'd need to pm muff about it. i don't play with that sort of stuff POW!
i think it could be a good idea though - particularly for group buys.
flight
I'll pm Muff, I've been wanting a component subforum anyway.
wetterberg
cool - hopefully in the general DIY section and not the FoH?
consumed
ok, so there's at least a few of us who want to group buy cliff jacks. im up for this--ill make a cliff thread in DIY.
flight
@ wetterberg: Yeah, I'll make sure to tell him when I hear from him. That definitely belongs in DIY.
Moog$FooL$
flight wrote:
@ Moog$FooL$: What jack specs are you looking for?

oh... hadn't really thought about, i use mono/switching open back type.
i buy them in town here & i think they are switchcraft or a copy of????? they cost me $1.10 canadian, so the price isn't too bad, but those kobicon type u've linked to look crazy cheap!! sick! how's the quality??

oh yeah, so far i only panel mount, haven't really considered pcb mount.
flight
The Kobiconns are phenomenal quality for the price. These are the ones that have an extra coil spring that keeps pressure on the tip leaf spring. I use them on all my modules, as do several other manufacturers (actually, most of the boutique euro manufacturers that PCB mount their pots, as well as some others).

Do you have a link to the jacks that you use?
Moog$FooL$
flight wrote:
The Kobiconns are phenomenal quality for the price. These are the ones that have an extra coil spring that keeps pressure on the tip leaf spring. I use them on all my modules, as do several other manufacturers (actually, most of the boutique euro manufacturers that PCB mount their pots, as well as some others).

Do you have a link to the jacks that you use?

here's a link: http://198.166.44.233/mro/products.asp?PN=24-387-0

no pic & no price though. just imagine 1/4 switchcrafts (open back) that are often used in guitars, pedals & other things, but 3.5mm or 1/8".

no worries, i'm gonna look into those kobiconns as the price is way cheap through Mouser Canada.... i doubt MRO or anyone else locally can match that.

but.... how about 3.5mm or 1/8" plugs, i prefer to make my own cables. anyone have a recommendations on them??? i've used Blacets cables kit but i'm not super fond of his plugs.
flight
Sounds like those jacks are the Swiitchcraft 142A, or a clone thereof - especially since they're only CA$1.10! They are almost USD$5.00 through Mouser. The 142A is 0.141" - neither 3.5mm or 1/8".

Plugs: I have always liked these Kobiconn plugs, here's the datasheet.
But I'm now finding that the knurling isn't deep enough for a good grip, so I'm looking for something else. I prefer metal-bodied plugs because they have a really small diameter body and I hate plastic. razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3