MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Harvestman Polivoks VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Harvestman Polivoks VCO
brandon daniel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/analoguehaven/3544110529/

Heh, cool.
Muff Wiggler
screaming goo yo

if it's as nasty and cool as the VCF, i'm buying

very cool
tonnu
WHOA hyper

will buy together with the filter!

*feels happy that i'm starting my modular now ... seems to be just the best time for all the interesting modules!*
Junk Rhythm
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Very cool indeed.
REwire
This is the first oscillator in Eurorack actually based on a vintage one. Finalfuckingly! All these vintage filter types and never a vintage one until now.

Though I will say that the Macbeth oscillators were hard to tell from my '74 Mini's ones.

How about enough filters, bring on unique and vintage oscs: Arp, SEM, Moog, Steiner.....that only track 3 octaves.
L0ren
That does look pretty sweet.

REwire wrote:
How about enough filters, bring on unique and vintage oscs: Arp, SEM, Moog, Steiner.....that only track 3 octaves.

My vote goes for an old style VCS3 oscillator. I'm not sure those track 1V/Oct.
Kent
Aren't they all based on vintage ones?

Aren't the ASys RS-95 units heavily informed by the EMS synths?

Dan, do you mean to say "direct clones of"? Also, why would it be important to clone the old? Isn't down to how it sounds and functionality? It's quite possible that I'm missing something here. Not about the Polivoks VCO, but the desire for VCO clones being emotionally fueled. Good Osc = good Osc , no?

Let me add that this is not intended to be 'pissy' in any way. I just wanted to bring up the point that all oscillators are 'built upon the shoulders of giants'; to paraphrase a well-known adage. I'm also just gonna bite on Joe Meek's "If it sounds good it is good" statement.
astroschnautzer
the original polivoks did not have linear FM or sync if I remember correctly so this is not a direct replica.
Алфавит ?
governor blacksnake
2012 wrote:
Алфавит ?

CTO XYEB
timmah
WANT screaming goo yo

damn got to find 2HP in my case so I can replace my A-110.
sendhelp
and when?
chiasticon
mother of god! w00t

can't wait. i'm so glad i didn't purchase a polivoks proper (tho i got close a few times). this will be much more reliable and extensive. very very excited...
governor blacksnake
This will be the second of the modules to be factory-assembled (though the Empty Quiver might precede it, depending on how fast things get done). Originally it looked like getting some of the Russian chips would be a huge problem but some supplies have been located.

Look out for something else Russian too...
mono-poly
What about doing some LIder FX stuff in euro?
governor blacksnake
mono-poly wrote:
What about doing some LIder FX stuff in euro?

way ahead of you bro

About to order some boards for the Lider suboctave circuit (it's special). If it's special enough it will go into production.
mono-poly
I got the schematics of the lider.
Let me know if you wan them emailed.
I have the first Lider and i love it!
brandon daniel
L0ren wrote:

My vote goes for an old style VCS3 oscillator. I'm not sure those track 1V/Oct.

AFAIK, they track just fine when supplied with a proper voltage source, the myth that they don't track comes from improper loading when using the wrong pins in the matrix patchbay to send the CV to both oscs.
mono-poly
All pins are basicly the same only the tolerance is different.
REwire
I would like to see the Hertz Donut come out before this.

@Kent: I can't say what circuits constitute new or vintage designs but my modular has four new oscs and three vintage oscs (Arp Little Brother, Steiner Microcon and SEM) and all three of the vintages output a ten times ballsier massive warmer sound in one waveform than the new ones. That of course can be said for vintage synths compared to new ones as well so it may be as possible to build a vintage sounding osc as it is to buid a new vintage sounding synth (of which there are none).

D
richard
Asys told me their VCOs are pretty much cloned from EMS designs.

But while I like my RS90 a lot I don't think it sound very much like the MASSIVE sound I hear from a VCS3... even just patched straight out no filter it just sounds roomfillingly huge... maybe the output mixers chew the shit out of - dunno

i don't hear this in any eurorack VCO I've heard so far (I haven't heard the AFG, and obviously not the macbeth)

R
Montag
help I definitely don't need another vco, but I'm very happy to see this. Awesome.
suthnear
REwire wrote:

all three of the vintages output a ten times ballsier massive warmer sound in one waveform than the new ones.

any chance of some recordings of raw unmodulated oscillator shapes that demonstrate this? I'd love to hear this difference for myself
thanks
VanEck
This is damn cool... afraid I don't have room for it any time soon though. I have 17hp wide open to receive a hot beef injection from a Hertz Donut. hihi
Pockets McCoy
If the hertz donut wasn't on its way as well, I'd SO be all over this.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if I can get 2 Hertz Donuts and the livewire X-mod, or am I screwing myself out of the x-mod by getting rid of my AFG?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3