New Sequencer by Blacet!!!!!!!!!

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

nathankirchner
Common Wiggler

Post by nathankirchner » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:42 am

Muff Wiggler wrote:also - looks like it may be a 'shallow' module compared to most Blacets

I *really* hope this is the case

It's about one inch at the thickest.
I got lazy and let my website die - it sucked anyway, you're not missing out on anything.

nathankirchner
Common Wiggler

Post by nathankirchner » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:52 am

keep in mind this is the prototype - the production unit may slightly different (wouldn't think it'd be any thicker though)
I got lazy and let my website die - it sucked anyway, you're not missing out on anything.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:58 pm

yeah!!
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm

that is freaking FANTASTIC new, this couldn't have worked out better!!

i'll take two for sure

thanks Nathan 8)

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Hex Zone questions...

Post by plord » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Nathan, looking at the specs and reading between the lines, I have a few questions about the Hex Zone (I've only got the CGS seq switch for comparison):
* The Hex zone doesn't appear to support changes in sequence direction...right? You can loop anywhere but not reverse.
* The CGS switch has an inhibit jack, the Hex has a gate. On the CGS, the sequence keeps running "in the background" while the inhibit is high, which can be very useful. How does the Gate work on the Hex? Does it continue to step through the sequence according to the clock, but only output CVs when the gate input is high? Or would a slow clocked square wave gate signal, for example, stop on step 4 for half of it's duty cycle, then start on step 5 when the square went high again?
* I see the two CV outs and the switch out. Does this mean you can send two CV sequences from the HZ and also simultaneously step through the 16 step inputs and send them through the switch out jack?
* I guess I am assuming the 16 jacks are step inputs? Or..."bidirectional switches"...are they both ins and outs? If they are also outputs, can you feed in a signal to switch, or are you just sending the internal sequence to 16 different destinations?
* When they are inputs, can they be attenuated (would have to be a software setting, I guess)?

Thanks for any clarification.

Paul

nathankirchner
Common Wiggler

Re: Hex Zone questions...

Post by nathankirchner » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:28 am

plord wrote: * The Hex zone doesn't appear to support changes in sequence direction...right? You can loop anywhere but not reverse.
No direction setting, no reverse
plord wrote: * How does the Gate work on the Hex?
It mirrors the function of play/pause. High is play, low is pause - Play after pause continues from exactly where it left off
plord wrote: * I see the two CV outs and the switch out. Does this mean you can send two CV sequences from the HZ and also simultaneously step through the 16 step inputs and send them through the switch out jack?
Yes
plord wrote: * I guess I am assuming the 16 jacks are step inputs? Or..."bidirectional switches"...are they both ins and outs?
Inputs only
plord wrote:
* When they are inputs, can they be attenuated (would have to be a software setting, I guess)?
No, direct connect only.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:17 am

nathankirchner wrote:* How does the Gate work on the Hex?
It mirrors the function of play/pause. High is play, low is pause - Play after pause continues from exactly where it left off
Got it. That's handy; you don't have to leave a blank pattern when chaining long tracks, you can just send the right gates.
nathankirchner wrote:* I see the two CV outs and the switch out. Does this mean you can send two CV sequences from the HZ and also simultaneously step through the 16 step inputs and send them through the switch out jack?
Yes
AWESOME.

Thanks for the update, it's a sweet module!

Paul
Last edited by plord on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 am

plord wrote:
nathankirchner wrote:* How does the Gate work on the Hex?
Got it. That's handy; you don't have to leave a blank pattern when chaining long tracks, you can just send the right gates.
nathankirchner wrote:* I see the two CV outs and the switch out. Does this mean you can send two CV sequences from the HZ and also simultaneously step through the 16 step inputs and send them through the switch out jack?
Yes
AWESOME.

Thanks for the update, it's a sweet module!

Paul[/quote]

i think one of these in combination with the sequential switch will be great compliments to each other.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:39 pm

this sweet little puppy is now available for order on Blacet's webpage 8)

congrats John & Nathan! Really looking forward to it

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:this sweet little puppy is now available for order on Blacet's webpage 8)

congrats John & Nathan! Really looking forward to it
i guess the question is when you order it is it ready to ship or is it a preorder? don't really wanna bug Mr. Blacet about it though since i'm not quite in the market for it yet anyways.

looks real sweet with the official faceplate

black screws too. looks like someone's been paying attention to customer complaints :lol:

i never cared about the cosmetics though :)
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm

PS: "+150/-1mA"

WOW! looks like this will be going in my next skb afterall.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Kwote wrote:black screws too. looks like someone's been paying attention to customer complaints
I replaced all the screws on all my blacet modules (mounting screws plus mid-module PCB mounting screws) with black ones anyway

was very easy to do ;)

i DO care about cosmetics

nathankirchner
Common Wiggler

Post by nathankirchner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Kwote wrote:
i guess the question is when you order it is it ready to ship or is it a preorder?
Ready to ship

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:48 pm

nathankirchner wrote:
Kwote wrote:
i guess the question is when you order it is it ready to ship or is it a preorder?
Ready to ship
very glad to hear.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm interested in building this from the kit, but (according to the Blacet site), it's "for advanced assemblers only!" I've assembled five other kits so far with not a single real problem-- any opinions as to whether this is adequate experience to give the Hex Zone kit a shot? It certainly looks like a considerable step up, but I'm inclined to think that it's doable.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:22 pm

recently this came up on the Blacet list - John says there's a lot of PCB mounted components that come up through he front panel.

"impatient or imprecise people will curse the day they went for the kit"

he says he also plans to get some helpful tips and pointers up on his website, once his shop has built a few and they've learned "how to make it easier on ourselves"

J.w.M.
Analog Addict

Post by J.w.M. » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Awesome! Thanks much. I should probably start reading the Blacet list again... :oops:

In any case, I think I'll wait on the Hex Zone for a little while until that info comes up. I've had great luck so far with PCB components lining right up with the panel, but the HZ certainly looks like it takes that to a whole new level.

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Sold my Mobius and I'm getting to order my Hex on TUESDAY!!!
This will fill one of my frac spaces with the sequential switch
then my wave multiplier, 8008 kd, vco, miniwave, vcs,2 x eg1's,dual lin vca and motm ladder vcf.

Trieng to decide now to add more rhythm....flame clockwork or plan b model 28 tap clock to this setup.... HMMMMMM. :)

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue May 06, 2008 9:19 am

can we get some samples of the hexzone? I'd love some that are sync'd with the metalbox ss if possible... THANKS!!! I'd like to order one of these but... just trying to liquidize the hype and push myself to sending my cc number over, lol. thanx!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Sat May 17, 2008 2:51 am

:party: :party: :love: :love: :party: :party: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

something happened.

i just got a HEXZONE for a damn good deal!

funny how plans can change on a dime.

prepare for endless demos. :headbang: :headbang: :drugs:
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Squibbons
Common Wiggler

Post by Squibbons » Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am

tragedybysyntax wrote:can we get some samples of the hexzone? I'd love some that are sync'd with the metalbox ss if possible... THANKS!!! I'd like to order one of these but... just trying to liquidize the hype and push myself to sending my cc number over, lol. thanx!
I posted the following samples of the hexzone a while back. I don't own any of the metalbox sequencers, so I can't give you an example of those synced. I do have an MFB sequencer that syncs really nicely with it though. You just pipe the clock-out to the MFB sequencer clock-in and you are golden.

Blacet Hex Zone sequencing a bunch of random modules. Both CV Outs are run to two seperate VCO's. The gate out is run to an EG. The switch out goes to a VCA. Settings are tweaked on the fly. The skipping / pausing that happens at times is generated via piping an LFO into the Reset Input.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Squibbons.pu ... bons.10013

Also a pretty basic patch using one cv out on a vco:
http://share.ovi.com/media/Squibbons.pu ... bons.10014

nathankirchner
Common Wiggler

Post by nathankirchner » Sat May 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Sounds good!

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Sat May 17, 2008 11:58 pm

this shit still gets me hyped. specially now that i know one's heading my way.

rock on Squibbons and rock on Blacet. :sb: :rock: :headbang:
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”