MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is Volta working for you?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Is Volta working for you?
sascha.victoria
I figured its been a few weeks and some people should have had a chance to get it up and running.

Anyone out there have Volta and have it working? What are you using it with?

I definietly have all my connections right and have only been able to get it to spit out the "calibration" scan 2 times. Every other time I just get click click click click... FAIL! It worked for a few minutes and then it went totally out of tune. I know its not my synth because it works fine with my Kenton ProSolo. Tried it out with an EMS Synthi and a Steiner Parker Synthacon. I know these aren't tested items on their list but they should work except for the gate on the Synthacon which is Moog style.
sascha.victoria
Woops, didn't see the Volta subforum. Muff, please delete this thread.
stretta
Can you provide some more information? If it calibrates, it shouldn't suddenly lose calibration. What does the calibration profile look like? Prior to calibration can you move the red line with the coarse tuning knob?

I tested a Putney, but I failed to get it to calibrate. Not sure if it was user error or a strange unit or what, but I don't have a lot of confidence in it. I'd be surprised if the synthacon doesn't work. If no, you should send it to me for extensive testing hihi

Be sure you're getting a a clean, simple (sine or tri) loud signal to volta. Cuemix can be used to apply extra gain if needed.
U=I=O
yes
Analog>Plugins
The problem with some synths is that as soon as you plug in a cable to the cv in the pitch output of the synth goes to like C-1 (negative).

This puts the synth way out of the initial calibration target area.

The solution is to have an option in calibration where you have Volta give out an adjustable starting pitch enabling it to be caliobrated.

I have mentioned this ages ago... no one seemed interested.
os
Not clear why that is a problem. Almost all oscillators will have a much wider range of pitches accessible via CV input than you can dial up via their panel knobs. This is expected.

The CV software should be able to calibrate against the whole voltage range that the audio interface can produce, which will typically include some very very low pitches.
os
stretta wrote:
I tested a Putney, but I failed to get it to calibrate. Not sure if it was user error or a strange unit or what, but I don't have a lot of confidence in it.

Potentially relevant post about calibrating an EMS synth:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=255932
Analog>Plugins
OS, some synths like the Yamaha CS range i.e the CS-5 to CS-30 are HZ/Volts.... but with the volts some MOTU interfaces chuck you should still be able to calibrate them in the Volta HZ mode.

Unfortunatly when you set the synth to make a drone at say middle C, as soon as you plug in a cable to the CV in on the synth, the pitch drops to almost LFO speeds.

No amount of tuning can get the synth near the calibration range. If Calibration chucked out middle C and stopped as soon as the calibration mode started it would be enough to kick start the calibration.

I have tried this by starting calibration without the cable going into the synth and suddenly pluging it the second calibration starts. It nearly works.

The calibrations ability to track pitches needs looking at as well as it is very very picky about its source.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1