MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta-->VCA = clicking sound. Why? Fix?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta-->VCA = clicking sound. Why? Fix?
Bath House
When I patch a Volta output to my VCA, I get an audible clicking sound with each trigger. Why? I've never noticed it before when triggering my VCA's from the FR Mobius, Midi-CV conveters, etc.

Here's an example of Volta's Step and trigger sequencers going to my DotCom Oscillator and VCA respectively. As I close down the filter, you can really hear the clicking going crazy. Switching the amp between LIN and EXP has no effect, and neither does multing the trigger sequencer to the Osc's hard sync input.

http://lolternative.rabbitroom.org/Volta%20Clicking.wav

Thoughts?
parasitk
Use an envelope? Sounds like the trigger just really fast for your VCA.
stretta
Gates are designed to control envelopes. They're not intended to directly drive a VCA. You can do that, but, yeah, you'll get clicks. Use an envelope or a slew limiter.
Bath House
stretta wrote:
Gates are designed to control envelopes. They're not intended to directly drive a VCA. You can do that, but, yeah, you'll get clicks. Use an envelope or a slew limiter.

Oh yeah. DUH. Sorry, I was really tired last night. hihi
parasitk
Unless of course your VCA is a lopass gate! Then hit that fucker with triggers and gates!
stretta
Quote:
Unless of course your VCA is a lopass gate! Then hit that fucker with triggers and gates!

That is a really good point. Vactrols really like short sharp impulses and Volta excels at producing these. Use a trigger sequencer and set the duration to 1 and the Vactrols will really sing. There have been so many times in the past where I just wanted a short trigger just for this reason.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1