Volta-->VCA = clicking sound. Why? Fix?

Discussion and support for MOTU's Volta software.

Moderators: Kent, stretta

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Volta-->VCA = clicking sound. Why? Fix?

Post by Bath House » Wed May 20, 2009 9:28 pm

When I patch a Volta output to my VCA, I get an audible clicking sound with each trigger. Why? I've never noticed it before when triggering my VCA's from the FR Mobius, Midi-CV conveters, etc.

Here's an example of Volta's Step and trigger sequencers going to my DotCom Oscillator and VCA respectively. As I close down the filter, you can really hear the clicking going crazy. Switching the amp between LIN and EXP has no effect, and neither does multing the trigger sequencer to the Osc's hard sync input.

http://lolternative.rabbitroom.org/Volta%20Clicking.wav

Thoughts?

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Use an envelope? Sounds like the trigger just really fast for your VCA.

stretta
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stretta » Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 am

Gates are designed to control envelopes. They're not intended to directly drive a VCA. You can do that, but, yeah, you'll get clicks. Use an envelope or a slew limiter.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am

stretta wrote:Gates are designed to control envelopes. They're not intended to directly drive a VCA. You can do that, but, yeah, you'll get clicks. Use an envelope or a slew limiter.
Oh yeah. DUH. Sorry, I was really tired last night. :hihi:

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Thu May 21, 2009 9:56 am

Unless of course your VCA is a lopass gate! Then hit that fucker with triggers and gates!

stretta
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stretta » Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 am

Unless of course your VCA is a lopass gate! Then hit that fucker with triggers and gates!
That is a really good point. Vactrols really like short sharp impulses and Volta excels at producing these. Use a trigger sequencer and set the duration to 1 and the Vactrols will really sing. There have been so many times in the past where I just wanted a short trigger just for this reason.

Return to “Volta”