MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
Monobass
Well I've enrolled, anyone else?

Quote:
MITx will offer a portfolio of MIT courses for free to a virtual community of learners around the world. It will also enhance the educational experience of its on-campus students, offering them online tools that supplement and enrich their classroom and laboratory experiences.

The first MITx course, 6.002x (Circuits and Electronics), will be launched in an experimental prototype form. Watch this space for further upcoming courses, which will become available in Fall 2012.

http://mitx.mit.edu/#
neilbaldwin
Monobass wrote:
Well I've enrolled, anyone else?

Quote:
MITx will offer a portfolio of MIT courses for free to a virtual community of learners around the world. It will also enhance the educational experience of its on-campus students, offering them online tools that supplement and enrich their classroom and laboratory experiences.

The first MITx course, 6.002x (Circuits and Electronics), will be launched in an experimental prototype form. Watch this space for further upcoming courses, which will become available in Fall 2012.

http://mitx.mit.edu/#

Whoa, nice! Just what I'm looking for at the moment.

thumbs up
Monobass
yeah I'd been looking at things like Open University... they don't even do electronics courses anymore.

I'll be fucked If I can remember the Calculus I did on my degree 18 years ago though... I spent all my time making techno, playing mario kart and smoking weed wink

Fortunately I've mainly cut out the Mario Kart and weed these days so I might get somewhere wink
diophantine
Thanks for posting!

Does it give you any sort of syllabus or schedule when you enroll? I'm curious how much time I'd need to devote to this every week.
SOFTWIRE
just signed up. hopefully the math isnt too over my head!
Monobass
just the info here

https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/#

it runs March - June, recommends 10 hours a week and this book - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558607358/ref=nosim
neilbaldwin
Monobass wrote:
yeah I'd been looking at things like Open University... they don't even do electronics courses anymore.

I'll be fucked If I can remember the Calculus I did on my degree 18 years ago though... I spent all my time making techno, playing mario kart and smoking weed wink

Fortunately I've mainly cut out the Mario Kart and weed these days so I might get somewhere wink
]

I looked at OU too and you're right - no electronics.

I did read on Tim Stinchcombe's website that he did an OU course with Teeside University but it seemed like quite a commitment. hihi

http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=about
SOFTWIRE
it says about 10hrs a week. probly more if you suck at math like me! march 5th through june 8th
ThinLazy
Thanks for info, I just enrolled too.
wavecircle
Khan Academy has all the maths you will ever need.
bkbirge
I just enrolled more out of curiousity as I've got an EE anyway. But I could use a refresher, especially on PDE's. All I do lately is program.
bkbirge
wavecircle wrote:

When did it become vogue to say "maths" instead of "math" or is that just one of the many differences between English English and American English? I'm really not judging, just curious. I realize I'm old, no need to point that out to me, lol. Guinness ftw!
Spanningtree
Thanks, just enrolled too. My background is EE too but I've worked in IT for the last 20 years. Need to get my math s**t together too. Should be fun!

w00t
LoFi Junglist
SOFTWIRE wrote:
it says about 10hrs a week. probly more if you suck at math like me!

If you really suck at math you could use a program called "Algebra solved".
Pretty sure you could use it with most problems you encounter (there's also trigonometry solved etc).
It's pretty good as a learning tool (I got it for my sister) because it breaks down a problem step by step with explanations if you want. it would have been quite useful while i was in trade school as i was a little bit rusty (hadn't done math in years)

If you search for "Bagatrix" you'll find a file to download in no time thumbs up
mome rath
oh good

we can work on our maths homeworks together
diophantine
Cool, thanks guys! I missed the 10h/wk thing.

Kinda a big commitment for me (considering that I'll be gone a couple weeks during that time), but no matter, it should still be good for me. I've been seriously teaching myself electronics the past couple years, so this will be good. (I learned to read schematics as a kid, but my year of EE in university was horrible: who cares what a voltage divider does, you've just gotta know how the electrons are flowing, and how many of them there are! confused )

bkbirge wrote:
wavecircle wrote:

When did it become vogue to say "maths" instead of "math" or is that just one of the many differences between English English and American English? I'm really not judging, just curious. I realize I'm old, no need to point that out to me, lol. Guinness ftw!

US/UK/European thing, yup! Same with info/infos.

I'll sometimes say maths/infos, but only because I've worked with & communicate with a lot of folks from Europe.
decaying.sine
I just signed up too. Forum handle will be decayingsine for the course. This probably will not go well, but maybe I can throw spitballs from the back of the classroom.
wavecircle
Enrolled!

bkbirge wrote:
wavecircle wrote:

I am British, therefore I use the correct parlance. smile

"Math" d'oh! gets on my nerves.
msprigings
I'm going to give it a whirl but I was an art major in college. Stuff like differential equations makes me want to vomit. very frustrating
Monobass
wavecircle wrote:
bkbirge wrote:
wavecircle wrote:

I am British, therefore I use the correct parlance. smile

"Math" d'oh! gets on my nerves.

Yeah Math gets on my nerves far more than it should smile

'Legos' too. The plural of Lego is clearly Lego 8_)

Also, no one (in the UK at least) ever says 'infos'.

Also it's Aluminium.

Glad we got that all sorted. Mr. Green
ben jah men
thanks for the reminder. enrolled.
samuraipizzacat29
Thanks for the share.

I'm inordinately long old silly cartoon tv show screenname on there as well.

It's kind of funny that I have these calc credits from my high school AP course and I remember exactly zilch of it. So technically I'm qualified for it, but in actuality no dice. I'm not a fan of spitballs but maybe my paper airplanes can air freight them around the room for you.
decaying.sine
samuraipizzacat29 wrote:
I'm not a fan of spitballs but maybe my paper airplanes can air freight them around the room for you.

Deal!
Clockgate
Just signed up hyper

I have a degree in electronics and work in the sector, but haven't used a lot of the basic stuff in years. It will be great revision, but mainly I want a certificate from MIT!
Luka
i just enrolled too - if nothing else i can dust off my math skills smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8