MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
Joe.
You have todo the "endless" exercises; It's called rote learning (or learning through repetition), if you don't rote learn a formula then the only option is being able to derive that formula in rl, on the fly. That's time consuming, and impractical.

The only way you can do timed exams is if these formula's (and your ability to know which ones to use) comes naturally.

Employees like to know know you can pass Timed exams, because it shows you can work under pressure, and you know your subject material.
Anyone can skim a text book, bookmark pages and then take hours performing a simple task; checking the process and formulas multiple times in their reference book. As learned students you're meant to become better than that.

I never agreed in with the process while i was doing my apprenticeship, because i think some mistakes can be made if you're just working from memory and not using a reference notebook.
I eventually changed my mind though, being efficient is much more important that simply being "capable".

Stick in there guys, it only becomes easier with time thumbs up
active
it's intense, i'm struggling already, but i am going to push it through. thanks for the heads up on the foreign books! i beet the biggest difference will be reference to voltage later on which should be a fine thing to work around. and if not, just more practice!
loydb
Yeah, the grinding is actually the point of it all. Eventually, you get to the point that it's not a grind.

If it was fun, everyone would do it w00t
Monobass
Yeah believe me, I know grinding! I did a mechanical engineering degree.

It just feels a little uneven on this course, I think it's probably due to the format and course being so new.
Spandex
yeah... like if i wanted to teach someone to program i wouldn't make them spend the first 3 weeks matching brackets and thinking about operator precedence in postfix, prefix or infix systems... before finally letting them draw a square on the screen in week 4.

personally, i think it's better to start with stuff that gives a more instant bang for your buck.. and THEN show the underpinnings. you're always using some level of abstraction in EE and Comp Sci - as long as you're clear about that, I don't see any reason that you can't skip around the levels to keep the narrative interesting.
akrylik
I can't say that MIT professors will be good at motivating their students to stick with the material. Remember that they are fed with a constant stream of probably the most self-motivated students in the world! Its not going to be this nice story with cliff-hangers and plot twists, but more like a solid-dense-no-space-wasted kind of experience that if you can get through you will really appreciate AFTERWARDS nanners

So when they teach they assume you are in it for the long haul baby!

They have a saying at MIT: Learning at MIT is like trying to drink from a firehose.

The other MIT meme is how you can basically split the student population into 2 groups based on what they think the acronym IHTFP means:

group 1: I have truly found paradise!
group 2: I hate this fuckin place!

You can probably guess which students are the ones who came to MIT with their motivational jetpacks already ignited. BOOM!
Spandex
Ha smile right. Yeah - guess the perspective is different when u actually have time. I'm coming at it in half hours of snatched freedom, watching the lectures at 1.5 speed d'oh!
Monobass
It's going to take them a while to understand their new online cohort.

I guess when you have a body of essentially anonymous students, who you never really get to understand or know, the only real measure of success is pass rate.. maybe the approach to maximising that pass rate means a style of course that is quite different to the style required to satisfy the regular MIT student body.

As long as standards are maintained, I guess they can only ever strive for quantity of passes over quality of passes.
loydb
I would hope, given that it's MIT, that they won't be at all interested in maximizing the pass rate. Especially in an engineering discipline. If people truly learn the material, the pass rate takes care of itself.
Spandex
Well, for all my carping, at least they care a lot more than that... otherwise it'd be "there's a library, here's a syllabus, learn it and then pass the exam. Kthxbai"
Monobass
loydb wrote:
I would hope, given that it's MIT, that they won't be at all interested in maximizing the pass rate. Especially in an engineering discipline. If people truly learn the material, the pass rate takes care of itself.

That's pretty naive. It's kinda ridiculous to think they wouldn't want to maximise the pass rate as long as their standards are maintained! (the context I clearly stated)
theglyph
Bump!

How's everyone doing? This is a bit different than how the progression went when I studied EE but it's nice to see it from a bit of a different perspective. Lumped element abstraction as a way to understand and utilize electronics in the "real word" is a refreshing way to think about the process of analyzing circuits. It's not new to me but just a different way of thinking about it.
Monobass
really appreciating the subject matter, have yet to learn anything that I can't see the point in. Massively struggling to find the time to do the homework though alongside working and childcare.. all my energy goes into my 1 year old son at the moment.

The estimated 10 hours a week is an underestimation for me. I reckon I might scrape a C grade, so to be honest I'm already past caring about the Certificate but I will complete it I think. I'd much rather do it at half speed, hope they consider that kind of option in the future.
theglyph
Monobass, Have you noticed that the homework is very forgiving. You can check it over and over again until you get it right without penalty. The same goes for the labs. I think based on this alone the pace is great considering we are all beta testers. thumbs up
Ianh
I have been getting straight 100% on the home work and labs but fear the impending midterm. I have noticed i am simply learning how to find the answer not necessarily solve the problem. In other words getting alot of formulas but not necessarily understanding how or why they work. Thus not entirely understanding where it is necessary to apply them.

Any one in Nyc interested in a study group some time before the midterm?
Totally serious.
Monobass
theglyph wrote:
Monobass, Have you noticed that the homework is very forgiving. You can check it over and over again until you get it right without penalty. The same goes for the labs. I think based on this alone the pace is great considering we are all beta testers. thumbs up

yeah and I got 100% on the first couple of weeks due to that, but 3 + 4 have been a washout, my only problem is time and energy!
gwaidan
I think the midterm will be alright-with 24 hours to do it it's basically an online equivalent of a takehome/open book exam.
I agree homework for weeks 3 and 4 has been really tough but I've eventually had a-ha moments which have gotten me through-pretty clear at this point the textbook readings are essential and the intention of the homework/labs is that they are learning/extension exercises rather than straight revision. Has all been pretty useful so far.
Monobass
I can generally only find about 2 hours max time to study out of any 24 hour period, which is why I'm pretty sceptical about the mid-term. I'm just really pleased to have access to the teaching and resources.
lysander
I've been doing the course too, mainly using the textbook because its the easiest to read anywhere.
I've found it a bit slow going for some things, like it will drill down for dozens of pages on the same thing - but to be fair a lot of that stuff are reminders for me as I studied electrical engineering and semiconductors a long time ago ( long enough to forget pretty much everything ), and this way it does get into your head. I think its a very good textbook.
The coursework although not particularly difficult does take a lot of time to do, my last two sunday evenings have been swallowed by it and I'm dreading doing this week's tonight.

Doing this course is forcing me to go through this material quicker than I'd do on my own though so thats a good thing.
bookends
Count me in for a NYC midterm study group
gwaidan
Got an A in midterm-where do I sign up for tri-lambda? hihi

lysander
Sign me up too I just got 100% on it lol
bookends
I was pretty apprehensive about the midterm but it wasn't that bad. Bring on the pain I guess.
gwaidan
And now we will rule the world...... hihi

Interesting to find out there are 120 000 of us.

http://www.edxonline.org/
bookends
There was a NYTimes article about it today too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/education/harvard-and-mit-team-up-to -offer-free-online-courses.html?hp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8