MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
revtor
hmmm that looks awesome, but really I am reminded of the many many EE level electronics books I've picked up over the years and immediately put down because, hey, I don't want to do math, I want to make stuff.

If It didn't take me three years to pass calc I'd sign up in an instant though.

~Steve, algebra failure... I gravitated to the wood and metal shop.
Graham Hinton
msprigings wrote:
I'm going to give it a whirl but I was an art major in college. Stuff like differential equations makes me want to vomit. very frustrating

Then you are wasting your time.

Mathematics is not optional if you want to study engineering, it is a prerequisite. Mathematics makes engineering concepts understandable and without a command of mathematics you will never become an engineeer, merely a technician. Beware of courses and books that claim that you don't need mathematics.

If you cannot understand what differential equations are about you will never really grasp how capacitors and inductors behave and you will never understand how a state variable filter works because it is a differential equation. Or any other filter for that matter, isn't that enough to motivate you to want to learn mathematics?

I had a look at some of the MIT electronics lectures online recently searching for something to recommend somebody wanting to learn electronics. I would hesitate to recommend them and found the style of presentation poor, they seemed to skirt around the subject and introduce irrelevencies instead of zeroing in to the heart of the matter. Maybe it seemed slow and laboured because they were trying to keep the mathematically challenged on board?
tobias
I too was an art major, but I signed up anyhow. This is what interests me so hopefully I'll be able to comprehend it and fuck the maths up.
revtor
Mathematics makes engineering concepts abstract. Real world explanations by someone who really knows whats going on is what makes Engineering understandable.

How about this. I know how a state variable filter works, and I understand how capacitors and inductors behave in a circuit. Yeah. Really. Can you use that to teach me the math? Then I'm all ears.

stirring the pot here... on purpose.

~Steve
wavecircle
A little bit of differentiation and integration never hurt anyone. Grow some balls.
withakay
Monobass wrote:
yeah I'd been looking at things like Open University... they don't even do electronics courses anymore.

I'll be fucked If I can remember the Calculus I did on my degree 18 years ago though... I spent all my time making techno, playing mario kart and smoking weed wink

Fortunately I've mainly cut out the Mario Kart and weed these days so I might get somewhere wink

Heh, I know this one too smile
Luka
wavecircle wrote:
A little bit of differentiation and integration never hurt anyone. Grow some balls.

Then we can analyse the rate of change in growing time.
Joe.
Graham Hinton wrote:
Mathematics makes engineering concepts understandable and without a command of mathematics you will never become an engineeer, merely a technician.

Merely a Technician ?!

Rabble rabble rabble!

You sound like most engineers I know razz
bkbirge
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Graham Hinton wrote:
Mathematics makes engineering concepts understandable and without a command of mathematics you will never become an engineeer, merely a technician.

Merely a Technician ?!

Rabble rabble rabble!

You sound like most engineers I know razz

Sheldon Cooper: Engineering - this is where the semi-skilled workers realize the work of better minds. Hello, Oompah-Loompahs of science.
Monobass
I can't be the only one who wondered if Graham Hinton has an orange face and green hair.
negativspace
I thought everyone in England looked like that. seriously, i just don't get it
cleaninglady
signed up !

calculus... Dead Banana
Paradigm X
Monobass wrote:
I spent all my time making techno, playing mario kart and smoking weed wink

lol

hihi
Monobass
There is a list of per-requisites for the course here

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-002x-related-curriculum/

all of which are designed for independent study.
msprigings
Graham Hinton wrote:
msprigings wrote:
I'm going to give it a whirl but I was an art major in college. Stuff like differential equations makes me want to vomit. very frustrating

Assuming it's applied to what I'm in interested I'll attempt to learn. I don't see any harm in trying.
wavecircle
Ive just had an operation so i am going to be housebound for about a month. If people are interested i could do some skype teaching. We could do basic algebra and calculus with a little bit of physics thrown in for good measure. I am currently a physics undergrad at a pretty good uk university so maybe i can help a few people.
robotmakers
If you're not comfortable with calculus, you might find the prerequisite 18.03 challenging, depending on the instructor. 8.02 is easier. In any case, you guys are going to have to figure out a way to create a web-based "hack" to celebrate completion of the course. Maybe by replacing the opencourseware webpage with a sequencer or something?

Best wishes,
Roger (class of '82)
Cable
msprigings wrote:
Graham Hinton wrote:
msprigings wrote:

Assuming it's applied to what I'm in interested I'll attempt to learn. I don't see any harm in trying.

Same thoughts here.^^
polyroy
It looks interesting, but with my poor maths skills, I don't know if I'd want to commit and end up wasting my time and the lecturers time.
Monobass
I've watched the first couple of 6002 lectures online

never mind the Calculus. My rusty algebra needs a kickstart too!

It would be great to have an ongoing support thread on Muffs while the course runs. As long as things stay within the honor code laid out on the MITx site.

* Complete all mid-terms and final exams with only my own work.
* Maintain only one account, and not share the username or password.
* Not engage in any activities that would dishonestly improve my results, or improve or hurt those of others.
* Not post answers to problems that are being used to assess student performance.
decaying.sine
From the sign up, it also sounded like there would be a class forum as well.

I agree with you, monobass, on the support thread so long as it is within the honor code. I've never enrolled in online education so I am excited to give it a try.
fate
i'd love to do this but i'm awful at math, though I am an electrician in my day job heh
Monobass
decaying.sine wrote:
From the sign up, it also sounded like there would be a class forum as well.

I agree with you, monobass, on the support thread so long as it is within the honor code. I've never enrolled in online education so I am excited to give it a try.

Yeah I'm sure the class forum will be pretty lively and helpful.. It would be nice to make synth specific associations here too.
robotmakers
Group work on ungraded material is definitely encouraged.
loydb
I'm grabbing the textbook to check out. I'm in the last semester of finishing up a BA that I started in the early 1980s, so I probably don't have time to take it this time around -- but I can at least assess where my rusty, rusty math skillz are and do some background prep for the next time around.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 2 of 8