MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Free learnin' from MIT (Circuits and Electronics)
decaying.sine
bkbirge wrote:
2nd quiz, not asking you to do this, just look at it, if it is completely a mystery then run don't walk to do some remedials...

2(1/2 log(x^2 + 6x +13) - 3/2 tan^-1(x+3/2))
Graham Hinton
Monobass wrote:
I agree about the tone of Graham's response.

My response was to somebody thinking that they could do the course and in the same breath saying that differential equations make them vomit. It isn't cool to make a virtue out of ignorance and it's worthy of a Brunellian put down.

In my experience most people have decided they don't like mathematics before they have had their first lesson and then they spend so much time grumbling about it they don't learn anything. All they are doing is proclaiming that they belong to Edison's 80%.

It's easy to shoot your mouth off on a forum, but those people won't be vocal when they drop out of the course.

Quote:

But having looking at the first three video lectures of the 6002 course I have to say he is basically right. The maths is not optional, it's not something which provides an extra insight into the material discussed, it is the material.

Exactly.
I know how much maths you will need because I've done it and after doing electronic engineering for 40 years I can honestly say that there has not been a day where I have not been grateful for it. You don't need the very advanced stuff all the time, but when the going gets tough you do and you do need an aptitude for algebra most of the time. Mathematics disciplines your mind to analyse the real problem, abstract and solve it and then apply it. I've never needed Divs, Grads and Curls, but I have needed the ability to think like that.

The other thing I can warn you of is that getting back into education once you have left is a lot harder. If you go through school and university it's a continuous process that trains your mind to accept the way educationalists teach. Once you get out into life and do other things it is much harder to get back into the habit and to maintain the concentration that will be needed. Ten hours a week is probably the absolute minimum.

Quote:
bring it on.

Now THAT is a better attitude.
Roycie Roller
qmmg
loydb
Graham Hinton wrote:
It isn't cool to make a virtue out of ignorance and it's worthy of a Brunellian put down.

applause

I thought the tone was perfectly fine. I went through CS mixed with EE nearly 25 years ago. My math was shaky then, and mostly gone now :( Looking at the textbook for this course, and the online notes, and realize that I'll have to basically re-learn calculus before I could successfully attempt it.

If you're going to take the course without the math background, be prepared to quickly be reduced to the role of spectator. You may or may not get any benefit from this, but you're kidding yourself if you think you're going to get through problem sets without the math.
Paradigm X
hmm, starting to feel like i shouldnt bother now. sad banana

I did one year of electronic engineering at college and three years of acoustics, and did a fair bit of maths then, but that was 15 years ago. You dont use much full on maths in acoustics on a daily baisis, at least in consultancy.

With a full time job, wife and kid, and trying to make stuff and write music, like matey above, i dont know when ill get time. Ill need to start now effectively, going thru the maths i know to catch up.

Graham has been a bit blunt, tbh, but hes almost certainly right.

But then nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? At least theres a few of us with various abilites who can help each other. Not evenbothered about getting a certificate, more just want to learn more, rather than just stuffing boards.

cHEERS
wavecircle
This course is going to be very wide ranging I feel. It isn't a synth building course although I am sure there will be audio applications. As useful as I think this course is, it isn't the be all and end all for synth building by a long shot. People should just try it, if they engage with it then great, if they don't, there are numerous other options.

For those who are panicking about their maths, just go on Khan's Academy, he's a great teacher, better than most of the people who taught me at least.
lilakmonoke
cool info! .. i already enrolled ... should activate some dead briancells if i complete it. thank god i have NO clue about electronics!
Monobass
Spanningtree wrote:
I know how it goes bringing your math skills back up to par. About 10 years ago I decided to take some additional engineering classes at the local college. They had to re-assess my math skills since it had been so long I was in school. I used the book below to do a deep dive boot camp over a few weeks to bone up as well as some of the schaum books. The schaum books I would recommend for large sets of solved problems and you can get one that is pretty specific for whatever your weak in (trig for me).

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Technical-Mathematics-Stan-Gibilisco/d p/0070248281/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329510695&sr=1-5

I'm working through both 'Mastering Technical Mathematics' and the Schaum 'Basic Mathematics for Electricty and Electronics' in anticipation of the MITx course and I can reccOmend them. Getting my practical maths skill back up to scratch really quick.
polyroy
I'm still really tempted by this, but my only concern is wasting people's time. I did some acoustic related maths in Uni and got on alright with it, so I know that I can learn it, but it's just how much I'll need to know beforehand.

I guess I could just give it a go anyway as it's free, but I don't want to seem like a dick if I can't keep up with everyone else and drop out.
Monobass
I think it's ok. They obviously realise this course will be very attractive to a lot of people and that many will drop out (the majority even) and then many people will enrol and never even watch the first lecture.

I imagine the automated assessment stuff will be quite heavily frontloaded.
I think their machine learning experience will help them cope... and if nothing else trying and failing provides them with really useful data about how to improve the course next time.

I don't think they are naive about the reality of making access to the course completely free and completely unconditional.

They may not know how to cope with it yet, but they'll find out smile
polyroy
Fuck it, I'll enroll! Got nothing to lose really and I'll pick up some of the texts mentioned in this thread to brush up on some maths/physics related stuff.
gwaidan
Enrolled-looking forward to the ride....
loydb
I just got the textbook and spent the afternoon skimming. When someone said that the math *is* the course, they weren't joking. It is difficult to find a page without an equation on it. It isn't as calculus/diffyq heavy as I expected it to be, but if you aren't comfortable with them, you'll be done by chapter 4.

Anyway, this course should be called Mathematical Evaluation of Analog and Digital Circuits. If you're expecting "how to design a good filter," these are not the droids you're looking for.

Good luck.

Dead Banana

edit: It *does* look like the first few chapters are a great basic EE review (Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff, etc.).
Luka
So i cant use course materials on my ipad so im out confused
Laptop is waiting on parts to be working again so ill be a week or two behind before i can use their courseware :(
Monobass
Luka wrote:
So i cant use course materials on my ipad so im out confused
Laptop is waiting on parts to be working again so ill be a week or two behind before i can use their courseware :(

I had a quick look around on my iPhone this morning, what is it specifically that wasn't working on your iPad?
Luka
Video interface mainly

Videos will only work if they load in youtube app and then i have issues streaming - cant seem to pause it to let it load - it just runs in slow mo and stops. Frustrating.
Clockgate
The course has just started. hyper
Monobass
Yep I'm starting tonight. I'm glad it lets you get ahead with the homework.
Luka
Luka wrote:
Video interface mainly

Videos will only work if they load in youtube app and then i have issues streaming - cant seem to pause it to let it load - it just runs in slow mo and stops. Frustrating.

Anybody else have these issues? - wondering if it is my bad wireless or maybe i meed to update to ios5. Youtube works embedded in lots of places other than their website for me but not on thier site.
Monobass
it's a custom player, it has speed options and drives a text annotation panel too.

I'm guessing there isn't a Chrome browser for the iPad?
Buckyball
Luka wrote:
Luka wrote:
Video interface mainly

Anybody else have these issues? - wondering if it is my bad wireless or maybe i meed to update to ios5. Youtube works embedded in lots of places other than their website for me but not on thier site.

I am able to play videos no problem on my iPhone 4S (with iOS 5.0.1). The video doesn't play embedded, though. It pops out to full-screen. Pausing and scrubbing work fine.

I do like watching the lectures on my laptop, though, as the custom player will let you play the videos at 125% and 150% of normal speed. 75% is also an option.
cleaninglady
Just started in on the Course today.

I'm having a crack at it but i don't know if i can handle the maths.

I never got to look at Calculus at school... (hides)
synaptech
I'm already wishing I'd paid a bit more attention from the back row of lectures. very frustrating

Let's hope the rust comes off quickly.
Clockgate
Wow, Maxwell's equations in the first week, them guys at MIT sure don't mess around! It's certainly a very different approach than when I did basic circuit analysis in my electronics degree. Saying that, it's good exercise for the brain cells.
Paradigm X
I take it you guys got an email then?

Ive reclicked my 'confirm' registration which i did at the time, and stil not got?

Cant see how to start without this email.
Sigh

Oh well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 4 of 8