help with plague bearer

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

crippletoe
Common Wiggler

help with plague bearer

Post by crippletoe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 am

Hi all,
In my recently built setup i have included a pleague bearer. I got it mostly because of the excellent opinions i have read about it in this forum.
the thing is, when i use mine, i must say, not much is happening and i am getting a little frustrated with it.
i mean i can hear the effect but it is EXTREMELY MILD and hard to control, unlike some of the responds i have been reading here about the wildness and crazyness of this thing. I mean, people write that it distorts, sqeels, does comb-filtering, generate walls of sounds, while mine kinda sounds like a hard to control equalizer...
i was looking online for some clean demos of pleague bearers and couldnt find much to compare with. all demos included so many modules alongside the bearer that its sound was very hard to distinguish.
I cannot help thinking that there is either something wrong with the way i am using it or that there is something wrong with my unit.

did anyone have this problem?
can anyone help me find the beast in there?

will be much appreciated!

goab
Common Wiggler

Post by goab » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:09 am

This is pretty much the first impression I had with it too. It's tricky to find the sweet spots but once you do it's a great, quirky module. A few tips:

If you feed CVs to hi, lo or gain - attenuate the fck out of them! Try really subtle modulations.

Watch the input levels. If you run them too hot (or crank up input gain + gain) the sound will go dull. Usually the interesting timbres can be found when the module runs at pretty low gain. It's not a simple "moar gain = moar distortion" situation.

Hi + lo knobs: yeah, they don't do much most of the time. Experiment, sometimes you'll hit a sweet spot and the thing will shine.

FEEEEDBACK! Signal to in1, out 1 to attenuator to in2, out2 -> speakers. Perhaps chuck a very short delay in the feedback path? Go wild!

Definitely not a bread and butter module, not a one trick pony, more like a "once in every twenty patches" trick pony.
Last edited by goab on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:10 am

Try setting the Gain to 0 and the Input Level to max, then tweak the High and Low settings. This should produce some pretty dramatic results.
What is the signal that you are feeding in?
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

crippletoe
Common Wiggler

Post by crippletoe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 am

@ goab- thanks for the elaborate post! yes! thats exactly my impression. i guess thats the way it really is. i will try to run some more experiments with it. delay or anything else in the feedback path should be a good idea!

@ rezzn8r- so far every time i had gain at max, that would be the time when the module has the least effect. i usually would send an oscilator on it, or some sequesnced signal (incl gated vca before feeding it to the filter) I tried some drums too..and also connecting the output to the input (with gain set to 0). do you know of any "favorite bearer food"? ;)

goab
Common Wiggler

Post by goab » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 pm

While we're on the subject...

http://soundcloud.com/andreasbygdell/2007-08-842

Vocal recordings from the Parliament of Sweden through the PB. I believe I ran the vocals through an inverted env. follower patched to gain to increase gain/distortion in pauses between words. And a dash of reverb.

crippletoe
Common Wiggler

Post by crippletoe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:45 pm

:D
wonderfull!
thanks for this. i am just now in the studio.. finished recording about 20 min. or plague bearer mayhem.
i did manage to find some sweet spots!
should cut a piece of it and post it here.

infradead
leader of the secret trombones

Post by infradead » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:18 pm

goab wrote:While we're on the subject...

http://soundcloud.com/andreasbygdell/2007-08-842

Vocal recordings from the Parliament of Sweden through the PB. I believe I ran the vocals through an inverted env. follower patched to gain to increase gain/distortion in pauses between words. And a dash of reverb.
that was wonderful!
forget everything you know about sound, then turn the synth on. You can thank me later - slow_riot

cases: doepfer 6u and monster base

Tacoma Noise Rodeo

goab
Common Wiggler

Post by goab » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm

infradead wrote:that was wonderful!
thanks!

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:57 pm

You've probably already discovered this , but I find the most impact when I have both gain and input pretty low with both knobs at about 9 o'clock. At those settings I seem to get the most effect when adjusting hi and lo knobs. I've also recently discovered how well a choices joystick works with the hi/lo inputs being controlled by x/y. Adjusting the attenuverters on the choices really allows you to dial in the sweet spots and map them to the entire field of the joystick. I can highly recommend a choices for an addition to any euro setup. :tu: :foh: :foh: :foh:

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:40 pm

crippletoe wrote:do you know of any "favorite bearer food"? ;)
Drums. Mine is almost always patched to my metalbox 8008. :sb:
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

Return to “Flight of Harmony”