MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Frac Company
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Frac Company
J.w.M.
Just saw this over at Matrixsynth: http://www.synthasonic.com/index.html

Right now, they've got a MFOS filter for sale...
Maybe they'll be sort of a metalbox (with all of the CGS stuff) for MFOS...

Anybody know anything else about Synthasonic?
Muff Wiggler
It's Sam Ecoff's company, and Sam's a good guy. I had an ARP filter he built, his builds are good solid work as well. I think it will be like a Metalbox for MFOS designs.

I do find it strange, that out of all the MFOS designs, they release a LP filter first. There's no shortage of LP filters in the frac format.

In any case, more frac companies is GOOD NEWS. Wishing them all the best! 8)
J.w.M.
Thanks for the info.
I agree! I'm all for more frac companies.

The demos sound great, and the videos look like they could be a good resource for someone just getting started.

The demos sound pretty nice, too.
Kwote
yeah. it is a bit odd to see yet another filter and yet it kinda makes sense with everyone being so filter happy. one thing i love about it already is the two inputs.

i can't tell you how many times i've wished i could input two different things into my Filthy Filtre. of course this is coming from someone who still needs to add a mixer module to his setup. oops
Synthasonic
Hi Guys,

It's me, Sam E., the Synthasonic guy. Thanks for the kind words and for your enthusiasm about my product. It's been a very long road just to get the first module released, and it's gratifying to hear that folks are responding to it.

To answer the question re: will I become to MFOS what Metalbox is to CGS... first let me say that I'm honored to be compared to Michael Ford of Metalbox. He is a great guy who does great work and I have tremendous respect for him. He was one of the first to drop me a congratulatory note yesterday when the site went live and offered to put a link on the metalbox site to my company. With competitors like him, who needs friends? He's a great guy!

Second, yes, I plan to offer many of the MFOS designs in frac format over the coming months, as well as one or two designs of my own. I do not plan to offer all of the MFOS designs, however, since some of them simply don't make sense to offer as other manufacturers already offer what I consider to be superior designs at prices lower than I could possibly match. So, the plan is to cherry pick the very best of the MFOS stuff and offer it in an ultra high quality frac module. If there's something in particular you'd like to see, please don't hesitate to make requests and/or suggestions.

Look for another two MFOS modules in the next three months. I won't say which, but I will say that you'll be stunned by the next one. (hint, hint) I have a finished prototype that I've been using in my modular at the studio and I actually feel bad when I have to take it back to the lab because I'm having so much fun with it.

Last thing... yes, I know there's a plethora of filters already on the market. I chose the 4 pole as my first product because 1. I am a freak about having a lot of filters (12 in my modular at present and I still want more!) and 2. The MFOS 4 pole filter sounds so incredible that I feel it's one of the strongest designs in the MFOS lineup. If you haven't already heard it, check this demo at the Synthasonic site. All of the sounds were created using only two VCOs, a noise generator, a single envelope generator, and the 4 pole filter:
http://www.synthasonic.com/mp3s/4%20pole%20filter%20demo%201.mp3

No FX, only a limiter on the master channel. You will begin to get an idea of how flexible and great sounding this filter is.

Thanks for your support and your kind words!

Best,

Sam E.
Kwote
my system is very small. only one filtre by blacet. but i think about adding other filters all the time. i don't think it'll ever hurt for any modular company to throw another filter into the world.

thanks for posting. i just love the fact that the modular world is so tight knit. speaking as a dj/skratcher you rarely get this kind of connection with turntable, mixer, etc. manufacturer's at all. basically never. so right on.
Muff Wiggler
Sam!! Great to have you here 8) BIG congrats on the launch of Synthasonic! As mentioned over and over, more frac companies are a VERY VERY welcome thing to us all. I can't wait to add some of your modules to my system. I'm kinda stupidly filter-rich right now (uh, 17 filters in my modular at the moment oops ), but I gotta admit that yours sounds really really sweet. One of those things that I'll pick up one day for sure, and if I happen to see one used, I'll snap it up.

I have some ideas what your next product may be 8) And I think it's a safe bet that I'll be buying one!

Really glad you came by the forum. I love this place. We started talking about Harvestman a couple months ago, and like the next day, he shows up and starts answering questions and giving info. Again, we get a thread running about Synthasonic and POW! In walks Sam Ecoff 8) Like Kwote said, the modular community is so cool for that kind of closeness. Thanks a lot! If you (or anyone else) wants a dedicated or 'official' support forum here, I'm totally happy to host for free. But I also understand that "Muff Wiggler" isn't always fitting with a corporate image wink

Anyway, thanks again. So cool.

Also you guys, something I used to point a lot of people towards, but haven't in a while - Sam's book was one of the biggest helps to me when I was first getting started with my modular. He graciously provides it for free download (along with all the recordings that accompany the book!) from his website.

Although the book is about learning synthesis on the ARP2600, the lessons are written well enough from a 'fundamental synth building block' perspective that they are EASILY translatable to most any patchable synth - you can build these patches on your modular as you follow along with the book - you end up learning a LOT!

Even thought the patches translate well to almost any synth, I did find that early in my module-buying obsession, I basically bought all the modules in an ARP2600 first, so that I could do all the patches in Sam's book. The VC Switch was the last thing that I got around to acquiring, so there was a few patches using the switch that I couldn't at first perform, although I faked a lot of them using a QuadMix VCA instead of a switch oops fun times, thanks Sam!

If you want to check out the book (and you should!), have a peek here:

http://www.samecoff.com/works.html

Scroll down to "Fundamentals of Subtractive Synthesis" and you'll see the goodies.

Sam, hope you don't mind me pointing this out - I know there's guys here that will love this resource.

Cheers
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Also you guys, something I used to point a lot of people towards, but haven't in a while - Sam's book was one of the biggest helps to me when I was first getting started with my modular. He graciously provides it for free download (along with all the recordings that accompany the book!) from his website.

Although the book is about learning synthesis on the ARP2600, the lessons are written well enough from a 'fundamental synth building block' perspective that they are EASILY translatable to most any patchable synth - you can build these patches on your modular as you follow along with the book - you end up learning a LOT!

Even thought the patches translate well to almost any synth, I did find that early in my module-buying obsession, I basically bought all the modules in an ARP2600 first, so that I could do all the patches in Sam's book. The VC Switch was the last thing that I got around to acquiring, so there was a few patches using the switch that I couldn't at first perform, although I faked a lot of them using a QuadMix VCA instead of a switch oops fun times, thanks Sam!

If you want to check out the book (and you should!), have a peek here:

http://www.samecoff.com/works.html

Scroll down to "Fundamentals of Subtractive Synthesis" and you'll see the goodies.

Sam, hope you don't mind me pointing this out - I know there's guys here that will love this resource.

Cheers

GOTDAMN! The Holy Grail of Modular Synthesis for free? thank god i have my trusty usb traveldrive right now. wink
J.w.M.
WOW! That looks like a must-read. Thanks for the link. This looks really good (I've often wanted a single resource for the fundamentals that I can know what I'm doing theoretically before branching off in new directions).
Synthasonic
Hi Muff and co...

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for plugging my book. It's kind of old, but I'm trying to slowly bring it back to life through the Synthasonic manuals and videos. Many of the same concepts will be presented through the free media on the Synthasonic website, and I'll be sure to post as they become available. In the meantime, you've given me a good idea... I've linked the arp book to the resources page on the Synthasonic web site.

Thanks and stay tuned...

Sam E.
J.w.M.
Awesome. The first thing that struck me about the synthasonic products when I checked the page out yesterday was the super-quality manual.

Really a cut above the rest.
Synthasonic
Thanks for the kind words about the manual, JWM. I should also mention that every module comes with a printed copy of the manual and a fun surprise SWAG. :-)
Muff Wiggler
oooh oooooh

i'm totally a swag whore too 8)
Synthasonic
Hi Guys,

Just an update to the hints I dropped a while back. In case you haven't heard them, there are demos of the prototype of the new Synthasonic module up on the Synthasonic Website (www.synthasonic.com). Some of the demos feature the excellet analogue percussion modules available from Metalbox. You can look for this module to start shipping by the first week of March (probably earlier) and to be priced under $200. We have the boards all stuffed, we're just waiting on the panels. In case you haven't already figured out what the module is from the hints and the demos, you might try looking here:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/PHASESHIFTER2007/PHASES HIFTER2007.php
and for those who are curious, yes, it will have the 'de-clicking' and level boost mods done.

Thanks for all of the kind words and support I've received in the past weeks.

Best,

Sam E.
Muff Wiggler
BRILLIANT! Sold 8)

congrats Sam, thanks for popping in with the news!
Squibbons
That phaser looks sweet. Another one to add to the list.
Synthasonic
Hi Ladies and Gents,

After a number of delays (shoulda got a flu shot!) the eight Stage Phaser is ready and is currently shipping from stock.

Lots of info including downloadable PDF manual:

www.synthasonic.com

Thanks for looking!

Sam E.
---------------------
Synthasonic
Muff Wiggler
Awesome Sam! Thanks for letting us know - I just posted this at my blog.

$175!!! :shock:

you sir are AWESOME. That's a fantastic price! I just bought a module, like an hour before you posted this news oops otherwise i would order that phaser right now. At this price, it'll be very very soon regardless.

thanks a bunch & hope sales are great
Synthasonic
Hi Guys,

Just to test the waters, I've put up a Synthasonic 4 Pole Filter on Ebay at a reduced price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=180222050706&Catego ry=38071

Thanks for looking.

Sam E.
Synthasonic
Thanks to a kindly tip from Mr. Wiggler himself (in his blog), I noticed that although I'd put the photos page up on the Synthasonic website, I'd forgotten to activate the links to it from the resources page. So... thanks, Muff! Some new photos here: http://www.synthasonic.com/photos.html

Enjoy!

Sam E.
suitandtieguy
i'm a bit amused by the fact we have the same brand and model of bins, iron, and labeling machine, yet our workspaces seem to be completely opposite.

for starters, you've got a can of Sobe where my Bates Motel ashtray sits. your bench is a very nice butcher block, mine is some MDF thing that was installed by a previous owner, covered with a green wool Army surplus blanket.

btw, i'm glad you got the pics up. the mockups on your product pages don't show how nice your stuff looks.

you should have more interior detail shots so people can see your wiring on the Ray stuff is way nicer than mine:

http://stgsoundlabs.com/eg_wiring/
Muff Wiggler
hey Sam, great pics! Thanks for the update 8) They look great - I'm still really pumped about the phaser in particular, I can't wait to pick one up - hopefully shouldn't be too long. It's got a really nice panel design as well.

Curious about the ebay experiment - are sales of the filter going alright?

cheers

(ps S&TGuy is too modest. I have a Mankato he built and the wiring is super clean and smooth - way nicer that how he is repping himself with those EG shots. In fairness I've also seen Sam's work firsthad and can say that it is also as pro as it gets)
Synthasonic
Hi STG,

It finally dawned on me that when we last spoke on the phone, you were telling me that the pics weren't up. Yes, I should probably put up some pics of the backside as well. I am really anal about the neatness of my flying wires. The only thing that's stopped me from doing that is that the first 3-4 filters I made didn't have the ultra-neat wiring (not that it's messy, it just doesn't lay flat against the PCB like in later production models) so I'm worried that if I post pics of the beyond ultra neat models, the folks who get the merely very neat models will feel cheated.

My workbench is actually far nicer than I would have otherwise planned. I started out with an old card table. Those here who are also on the AH list may recall that a little over a year ago, I enquired about what different people were using for tables for their modulars. I ended up ordering legs from Ikea and then bought 1/2" paintable pine from my local Home Despot. I had intended to paint it, but thought better of it, and just put a few coats of varnish on it, and it ended up looking very much like butcher block. I then built a 2" riser for the back 1/2 of it which the modular once sat on. The riser gave it just enough height so that the lowest modules were just barely above the keyboard. It was really a great setup for all of two months, and then we moved to the new studio, and I discovered very quickly that my room needed *serious* help acoustically, and so I built a false wall, lined it with owens corning R-39, stapled Guiliford fabric to the studs and then covered them with oak trim. Although it fixed many of the problems I was having, that didn't fix the low end problem on that end of the room, which meant I needed a big bass trap there. It occurred to me that the bass trap could be built to accommodate the modular. The bigger, *expanded* modular that wouldn't fit on the table I'd poured 20 hours into. So... that was the end of the table. Right about that time a stray blob of solder put a second hole into the padding on the top of the card table and my wife repossessed it. So... that's the whole long boring story (pretty sorry you asked, aren't you!?!)

Oh yeah... It's Canfield's Sparkling water. Raspberry flavor. :-)

Best wishes,

Sam E.[/quote]
Synthasonic
>>Curious about the ebay experiment - are sales of the filter going alright?

Thanks for the kind words about my work.

To answer your question, I've been somewhat disappointed with sales. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not ready to throw in the towel or anything... I'm just getting started, though, and I fully appreciate that it takes a while to establish a reputation as a quality manufacturer. So, right now, I'm focused on drawing more traffic to the website, and working to reach new potential users who aren't yet aware of the product.

The reason I got into building is two-fold. First, those panels I order are horrifically expensive if you order just one (over $50!!!) which means I could never justify building just one of a module for my own personal use. The second reason is that I really enjoy spending some time in my workshop soldering, and my desire to solder is greater than the amount of space I have left in my modular rack.

So, Ebay is a two-fold experiment. First, to hopefully gain some insight as to whether I've priced the filter too high, and second to see if Ebay is a good way to attract new people to the Synthasonic Website.

Thanks for all of the kindness and support I've received from the folks on this forum!

Best,

Sam E.
Kwote
from my perspective as someone that's a little under a year of being into modulars and as a frac user i just feel kinda overwhelmed.

i love seeing new modules on the block and can't wait to expand but i find my acquiring gear to be more about luck then anything else.

all that being said i pay good attention to whoever throws their hat in the ring and think you're off to a great start. keep it up!

also i just started getting into your 2600 book and it's been very enjoyable so far. looking forward to getting through the whole thing and glad you took the time to create it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2