MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volta in Logic 8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Volta in Logic 8
system700
Hi,

this is my first Day with Volta. w00t

I do have some trouble with Logic and hope you can help me. I did check the Logic Video but i did not found the answer.

May i ask you : where should my Audio from my Synthesizer be in Logic?

So far i understand that my Synthesizer output goes in the sidechain input of volta.

If i understand correct Aux 1,2,3... Are to apply control voltage?
And the Mainoutput of Volta is for the Audio ?

Is this correct?

thx
stretta
Outputs 1&2 are the audio outputs

Outputs 3&4 are CV outputs 1&2
Outputs 5&6 are CV outputs 3&4 and so on

The manual has more information, and if you follow the setup video precisely, you should be on your way.
Bath House
Rod?

Check out this post here - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5238 - I was equally confused but got things worked out. I can assist if you have Q's.
system700
Thanks Bath,

i just bought a 2408 MK3.

is there any chance i can geht 8 in and 8 out via ADAT?

For me it looks like i can only use in OR out :-(.

I have to use ADAT because my RME Raydat are the Center of my Studio.
monsturo
system700 wrote:
Thanks Bath,

i just bought a 2408 MK3.

is there any chance i can geht 8 in and 8 out via ADAT?

For me it looks like i can only use in OR out :-(.

Yeah I am doing the same thing but unfortunately it is one or the other, not both at the same time unless you use it with the PCI card.
system700
:-( shame on you Motu d'oh!
system700
One more Day without getting calibration working. help

Software used. Volta 1.0 an 1.02 in Logic 8.02

VCO used. Arp 2600, Buchla 200e, Roland System 700

Volta
VCO -> Sidechain in of volta
VCO -> calibration source

V1P -> Motu 2408

Everything works fine in the settings mode. (I can Play my Keyboard and hear the different Notes. VCO still play if i do not touch the Keyboard because for calibration i need no VCA.)

As soon i switch to calibration rider my Audio stop playing.

NO red dot at the calibration meter.

i test it from low level to distorted input SlayerBadger!

No Sound and No Dot.

And for sure calibration failed.

HELP PLZ !!!!
stretta
Quote:
As soon i switch to calibration rider my Audio stop playing.

This is normal.

Quote:
NO red dot at the calibration meter.

This would indicate that volta is unable to read the pitch from the selected input. If you don't see (and can't adjust) the red line, calibration will certainly fail.

When you go into preview mode, what do you hear? If you don't hear anything, Volta can't hear it either, and won't be able to calibrate.
system700
stretta wrote:

When you go into preview mode, what do you hear? If you don't hear anything, Volta can't hear it either, and won't be able to calibrate.

i hear nothing :-(

My Question is why i hear the VCO in settings Mode and not in Preview mode?

it is not a problem of my VCO Range! I test them all.

Where does Volta got this preview sound from in Logic?

Sidechain input or calibration source?

Looks like Volta has a Problem to get the sound from Logic. If you see the Picture of my other post you will notice that Volta does not finde all my 36 inputs.
bar|none
On the calibration page, there is a combo box labeled "source", you must choose an audio input for volta to listen to.

Even if your modular is sending audio to another source and you can hear it through your main outs, Volta is listening to the audio input you configure in that field. Make sure audio is in fact arriving at the input you choose.
stretta
Quote:
My Question is why i hear the VCO in settings Mode and not in Preview mode?

Two different things.

You should be using two outputs from your oscillator. One output should be feeding your synth patch, which then, ultimately, gets returned into volta. This is what you hear at volta's output.

The other should be the sine wave output, which gets fed into the calibration input of volta. This is what you hear in preview mode. If you're not hearing anything in preview mode, no calibration signal is getting into volta, and no calibration.

Quote:
If you see the Picture of my other post you will notice that Volta does not finde all my 36 inputs.

36 inputs is a lot to keep track of, and sounds like more than one interface is in play. I don't know what other post you're referring to. Strip your system down to a single interface so it is easier to track down the inputs and outputs.

Make sure you've viewed the setup and calibration tutorial videos included on the volta disc.
system700
Hi,
thank you so much for your Help.

I do use a RME Raydat card as my Main Audio Card. It does have 36 in and outs. 4x ADAT 1x spdif 1x aes/ebu

a Motu 2408 for CV out is 17-24
a rme TDIF-1 for Audio In is 1-8

i do not have a motu pci card to test it :-(

Mptu 2408 (17)-> Synth Ext. CV input
Sine Wave (5) -> Volta sidechain
Sine Wave (5) -> source

as soon i press calibration. Sound stops. No Sound in preview :-(

I will check Abelton Live Today
bar|none
Per my post...what is "source" set to on the calibration page and can you verify that audio from your oscillator is coming into that input?
system700
wow that was a fast answer ^^.
system700
I did made the same test with Live. Same result. very frustrating

thank you so much for your help. help we're not worthy help
system700
bar|none wrote:
Per my post...what is "source" set to on the calibration page and can you verify that audio from your oscillator is coming into that input?

V1 P source is set to 5 witch is my VCO input.

in Volta Side Chain : Input 5 is what you see and hear in settings mode.
system700
o.k. i did found one more thing i cant understand.

if i set V1 P to Volta Output 5 i cant get the normal calibration of my input 5.
system700
i did a test with a emi 6I2m

just for the in/out test in cali mode. failed very frustrating
system700
Mac Book + emi 6 l 2 m

failed. ( just in and out in cali preview mode)
stretta
No pci card, hmmm? It sounds like we have no choice but to try to get the RME to work.

OK, you've verified the RME optical out to the 2408 provides control voltage to your instrument.

You've also verified that you were able to return audio from your instrument back into volta - I'm assuming from an analog input directly on the RME.

What happens if you assign the working input to the calibration input, then reassign the working input to a different input altogether? Do you hear preview then?
system700
stretta wrote:

What happens if you assign the working input to the calibration input, then reassign the working input to a different input altogether? Do you hear preview then?

Hi Stretta,

thanks for your Help!

I am not sure if i understand your Question right. But to make this clear i checked every input 1-32 and did not get any sound in preview. Input 5 should work but i just checked them all to be on the save side.

my routing is.

RME Raydat (Audio Interface)

IN
01-08 ADAT 1 - RME ADI-8 (5) -> Audio Out of my Synthesizer
09-16 ADAT 2
17-24 ADAT 3 - Motu 2408 MK3
25-32 ADAT 4
spdif
AES/EBU

OUT

01-08 ADAT 1 - RME ADI-8
09-16 ADAT 2
17-24 ADAT 3 - Motu 2408 MK3 (17/18) CV/ Gate out
25-32 ADAT 4
spdif
AES/EBU -> Monitor Controller -> Monitor Speaker

Volta Sidechain- Audio In 5
Calibration source - Audio In 5
stretta
Quote:

No, don't do that.

You need two outputs from your oscillator, and the input assignments need to be unique.

Take the sine wave output of your oscillator into audio in 5
take the return from your synth - or another oscillator output into a different input. Reassign the sidechain return to that input so it doesn't collide with the calibration input.
system700
stretta wrote:
Quote:

No, don't do that.

You need two outputs from your oscillator, and the input assignments need to be unique.

Take the sine wave output of your oscillator into audio in 5
take the return from your synth - or another oscillator output into a different input. Reassign the sidechain return to that input so it doesn't collide with the calibration input.

sidechain Audio in 5
source Audio in 6
done.

still not working :-( No Sound in preview & no red dot
stretta
What oscillator are you using?

Is the RME a Core Audio device?

Can you save your project and restart?
system700
A.)
Yes.
Logic Core Audio - HDSPe RayDat.
Volta setup - HDSPe RayDat.

B.)
so far.

System 700 - 702A
System 100M
Arp 2600
Analogue Systems RS-90.
Buchla 261e

C.)

done still no sound or dot :-(
stretta
Let's just stick to a single oscillator at this point. Th RS-90 will do.
system700
You answer faster then i can write we're not worthy
stretta
Can you absolutely correlate the physical input number from your audio interface to the input you've assigned in Volta?
system700
raydat does have 36

in volta i can select Manual + 36

But does not show me the Number "1"

i can my a picture if you like
system700
strage first is missing ^^
system700
My Question is does anyone got this running without a Motu Core Interface?
stretta
OK, we have an RME in the office and are testing it with Volta via a 2408 lightpipe. I can also confirm we don't see input '1', in the menu, although it is selectable.

So, we're trying to duplicate things here. No sense flogging away blindly. I'll update later today with any news. Worst case scenario is Volta simply can't calibrate through the RME, but we're going to see if there is anything we can do.
system700
Thanks

stretta SlayerBadger!
system700
Now it does works with Version 1.03.

Thanks !
Synton 2500
Howdy,

After following these many informative posts, and working with Volta for a bit, I'm still a bit stumped:

I've successfully calibrated a Roland 702A Oscillator, a Minimoog, and an E-mμ Modular's VCO.

However, the frequency is always gradually sliding down (and sometimes up) whenever Volta is sending out it's CV, so much that if I play a scale two times in a row at a moderate tempo, it's off by a semitone the second time through the scale.

Envelope, Gate/Trig, Sequencer and Midi Modulation all work fine!

But the pitch instability makes it very difficult to use!

My setup is rather convoluted:

Volta (AU) in Logic 8, out via MADI to ProTools 8. Analog Out of 192 I/O to synth CV.

Sine wave Osc out (for calibration) to ProTools Analog in. Back to Logic via MADI.

Osc, or Modular mixer out, in to ProTools for monitoring.

I've also tried (and had success calibrating) with a Fireface 800 as the A/D and D/A, however the frequency still drifts.

Oscillators from all my Analog gear hold up fine on their own, as soon as I send CV from Volta, dooooowwwwnnn they go.

I'm hoping it's not because of the MADI connection, because then I can't use Volta in Logic!

any help greatly appreciated!
stretta
Quote:
Analog Out of 192 I/O to synth CV.

Volta requires a DC-coupled audio interface.
Both the Fireface and 192 are known not to work with Volta.

RME makes a MADI to lightpipe device. Theoretically you could use that to then route to a device that converts lightpipe to DC coupled outputs, of which there are several known to work (828mk3, 2408mk3, and the RME device mentioned earlier in this thread) or maybe RME makes a device that goes directly from MADI to DC coupled outputs.

Obviously, this hasn't been tested.
Synton 2500
Thank You.

I'm using an SSL delta link to convert MADI for ProTools. I do have the device you mentioned, (ADI-648) but use more outputs from Logic than I have lightpipe inputs in PT.

I switched from the Analog out of the 192 to an 828mkII, using lightpipe from 192.

Now it works great!

thanks for your help!
stretta
Quote:
Now it works great!

Most excellent! Enjoy!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 2