MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Calibration Problems
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Calibration Problems
richardm123uk
Hi there all,

I am having difficulty with Volta calibrating my VCO's. I have tried without success with my RS95 and AFG.

I think that the cables I am using are fine. I had them custom made last week. I can effect the signal with all the settings in Volta (LFO's, Triggers.......) but just cannot get it to calibrate.

The red line is working fine (moves during change of pitch). I am using Live 7.

So the live set up simply is Audio from 1- Volta> cv-output 1/2 volta Audio To Ext. Out 1/2 (Ext. Out 1/2 being the outputs from my Ultralite MK3 into my eurorack).

2nd audio channel Audio from Ext.in 7/8 (output of VCO goes in here) audio to 1 - Volta.

Any suggestions. Also should I be hearing anything when I calibrate. Even with preview is on I just here a click or two?.

Cheers,
Richard
richardm123uk
So I just got everything working. A strange thing is when I set Volta to send CV's from Volta 1/2 to my Ultralite outputs 1 & 2 it seems to send from outputs (Ultralite) 3&4 even though nothing is plugged out from 3&4. Confused!!!!!.

Anyhow it seems that if I use my Frequenstiener in BP mode Freq & Res around 12:00 then Volta calibrates everytime.

Cheers,
R
system700
Audio in is 5.

Volta dont see to send a signal out in cali mode?

I do not get the red point in calibration modus. meh

Plus there is a bug with my source. See Picture.

Thank you for your Help.
TWINSTATES
System 700,

I have the same issue exactly.

I am not sure if I am running the latest update however.

Gonnna check now.
TWINSTATES
Latest update fixed it.
smile
stretta
Quote:
So I just got everything working. A strange thing is when I set Volta to send CV's from Volta 1/2 to my Ultralite outputs 1 & 2 it seems to send from outputs (Ultralite) 3&4 even though nothing is plugged out from 3&4. Confused!!!!!.

This is normal, and covered in the documentation and in other threads. Basically, Logic doesn't respect the custom names AU specification. Outputs 1&2 are the 'audio' outputs from volta and the 24 sidechain outputs come after that, so the CV outputs are 'off' by two.
system700
TWINSTATES wrote:
Latest update fixed it.
smile

applause
goiks
If anyone can help me, I'd sure appreciate it. I had Volta running fine with my Traveler, but now I have an 896mk3 and I can't seem to calibrate. I've exhausted all I know how to do, watched the video several times and used the troubleshooting flowchart.

Mac OSX 10.5.7, Live 8.0.4, Volta 1.03. DSP on the 896 is off. Cables and levels have been checked, tried with multiple oscillators. Screenshot attached. An LFO in Volta works fine to modulate oscillator pitch. Preview gives me my oscillator tone. When I try to calibrate, Volta sends a series of voltages, and instead of discrete voltage steps changing pitch like they did with the traveler, I get a portamento effect between steps and calibration fails. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm at a loss to see what it is.
stretta
The 896mk3 is not DC coupled.

The 896 and the 896HD are DC coupled.
goiks
goiks
d'oh. thanks.
rezzn8r
stretta wrote:

I was just looking at a MOTU 896 on craigslist. it doesn't look like the mk3, so it would be good for volta then?
1nput0utput
rezzn8r wrote:
stretta wrote:

I was just looking at a MOTU 896 on craigslist. it doesn't look like the mk3, so it would be good for volta then?

As long as it's an original 896 or an 896HD, not an 896mk3, it will work.
auricle
Interestingly, it says on the Volta page of MOTU's website that any of their interfaces will work.
stretta
Quote:
As long as it's an original 896 or an 896HD, not an 896mk3, it will work.

Yup.

pin 2 = tip
pins 1 AND 3 = sleeve

The 896 and 896HD use a cross coupled DC coupling scheme, so you end up with double the voltage output by shorting those pins (pretty much the opposite of how we advise TRS interfaces)

You'll get around +7v out of the 896 or 896HD. Eel Power FTW!
stretta
auricle wrote:
Interestingly, it says on the Volta page of MOTU's website that any of their interfaces will work.

Really? What is the URL where it says any MOTU interface will work?
auricle
Quote:
An audio interface with DC-coupled outputs, such as any MOTU FireWire, USB2, or PCI audio interface with quarter-inch TRS outputs.

Taken from http://www.motu.com/products/software/volta/specs.html

Although I didn't know that the 896Mk3 has XLR connectors for it's outputs so my mistake. Sorry oops

I don't think there is a solution for 24 outputs for a modern Mac Pro as the 24I/O uses the PCI-424 DSP card. I think that new Mac Pros use PCI-E only?
stretta
Quote:
I don't think there is a solution for 24 outputs for a modern Mac Pro as the 24I/O uses the PCI-424 DSP card. I think that new Mac Pros use PCI-E only?

The PCI-424 (which comes in an e variant) works fine for me and my 8-core Mac Pro.
auricle
stretta wrote:
Quote:

The PCI-424 (which comes in an e variant) works fine for me and my 8-core Mac Pro.

Wow, I'm doing well this evening! I didn't realise the PCI-424 came in PCI-e as well.

Thanks for the info, Stretta.
goiks
I'm sorry to keep posting here with what feels like stupid questions, but now I'm trying to use my 896mk3 for audio, and a traveler (not mk3) exclusively for volta. mac osx current, live 8.0.4, volta 1.03. i think i have a handle on how it should be set up, and had it working fine without the 896 in the picture.

i have the traveler hooked up to the 896 via firewire (a long one, 10'), and the 896 to my computer. calibration doesn't stick. i have to try multiple times to calibrate, and when it does work it drifts upward when playing notes at the higher end of the range.

i don't have a dc adapter to power the traveler directly. could that be the problem, or the length of the firewire cable? thanks for any help.
stretta
Quote:
I'm sorry to keep posting here with what feels like stupid questions, but now I'm trying to use my 896mk3 for audio, and a traveler (not mk3) exclusively for volta. mac osx current, live 8.0.4, volta 1.03. i think i have a handle on how it should be set up, and had it working fine without the 896 in the picture.

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties.

We've duplicated your setup, including the aggregate device in the office and are unable to reproduce the issue you are reporting.

The firewire cable length and DC adapter should not matter.

What is the device that is receiving the CV?

Does the pitch actively drift, or is it simply mis-calibrated in the higher registers?
goiks
thanks stretta. the pitch appears to be slightly mis-calibrated (<10Hz too high) in the higher registers when i initially hit a key, and then continues to drift 2-5 Hz further (i have the square output of the osc i'm calibrating feeding the z3000's external in which i'm using to observe these values). i'll go home at lunch and retry, removing the 896 if necessary to attempt to isolate what's going on. knowing it's probably not the firewire cable length helps, thanks. oh, and i tried it with the plan b m15 and livewire afg.
goiks
tried again at lunch, got everything working ok starting from scratch; i really appreciate you trying to duplicate the problem stretta. thumbs up

i don't know exactly what the issue was.

fwiw - the problem appeared right after i attempted to go to 48kHz (to use the mk3 spectral analysis/oscilloscope) instead of 96kHz. that caused some weirdness with live for a bit, but after several restarts things seem to be back to normal.
syncretism
I think it's natural to assume that TRS and XLR would be functionally the same for use with Volta - at least, I'd interpret it as "don't use an interface with TS jacks." Stating specifically that the 896 Mk3 doesn't work is desirable, IMHO.
doctorvague
goiks wrote:
thanks stretta. the pitch appears to be slightly mis-calibrated (<10Hz too high) in the higher registers when i initially hit a key, and then continues to drift 2-5 Hz further (i have the square output of the osc i'm calibrating feeding the z3000's external in which i'm using to observe these values). i'll go home at lunch and retry, removing the 896 if necessary to attempt to isolate what's going on. knowing it's probably not the firewire cable length helps, thanks. oh, and i tried it with the plan b m15 and livewire afg.

I tried to calibrate the scale on a dotcom oscillator and a Modcan VCDO recently with the Z3000 frequency counter and the results were way off enough that I couldn't get it calibrated at all. When I used my Korg rack tuner, it worked perfectly and they tuned right up. I love the Z3000, but I don't think its frequency counter is accurate enough for this sort of measurement, and is not really telling you the whole truth. So Volta might be working fine in your case, but the Z3000 just isn't reflecting that.

The Z3000 specs are here:
http://www.tiptopaudio.com/z3k.php?goto=specs

These are so handy to have (I have a little older version)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2