MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Two Panel Serge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Best Two Panel Serge
well2thebone
Sorry in advance, I know you guys probably get a bunch of these questions. But just for fun, what would you guys go with if you could have two panels, with no future expanding.

I am in the process of selling my gator/creature and have talked w/ rex about getting some panels. I should probably only get one panel, but if I sell some stock I can definitely get a second.

The animal seems most obvious and I am definitely getting one. But I really want some sequencing and the animal is a little short on slopes. I am currently debating between an animal/tkb combo and a animal/wad/seq-a combo. Let me know what you guys would go with, or maybe something completely different.

The animal/tkb would be amazing, and then that would transition into getting an animate later. But as I look over my budget now and in the future, I may just want to keep it at two panels so I can put some money in other places down the road. Which made me think seq-a/wad as a more complete complement to the animal and something that may help prevent the need to get a third panel.
booger
well2thebone wrote:

I am in the process of selling my gator/creature and have talked w/ rex about getting some panels. I should probably only get one panel, but if I sell some stock I can definitely get a second.

Another retirement sacrificed to shameless addiction...

Can't go wrong with the Animal.

well2thebone
Haha, my line of reasoning? Im 27!!! I think I am going to challenge this "invest in the future" tagline I am always hearing about.
noobyscooby
On a budget I would go Animal/TKB for now and then add an Animate later...or not.

Or I'd go Animal/Animate then sequence externally with other gear.
well2thebone
Crap, this is so dumb. Now im looking at blue voice/blue control
well2thebone
I think i'v had an epiphany. ANIMATE!!! One panel that gives me some of everything, and it will blow the gator/creature out of the water. Easily expandable. I simply can't afford to have a serge panel for synths, control, sequencing, and effects. This guy covers a lot of ground and is ultra experimental.
b3nsf
well that's one panel, what's your other choice? hihi
opsysbug
well2thebone wrote:
I think i'v had an epiphany. ANIMATE!!! One panel that gives me some of everything, and it will blow the gator/creature out of the water. Easily expandable. I simply can't afford to have a serge panel for synths, control, sequencing, and effects. This guy covers a lot of ground and is ultra experimental.

I agree with that 110%!! What a great panel. And... we're not worthy WAD.
Maybe keep the Creature/Gopher and get the Animate with it for now?
Soviet Space Child
well2thebone wrote:

Animal + Animate + Sequencer user here.

The Animate won't replace the Gator's pulse divider and boolean logic sections. It is a really nice panel though, and is a ton of fun in regards to busing in external audio.

In regards to picking just two panels, that would be a very very very tough choice between the Animal + Animate and Animal + Sequencer.
Soviet Space Child
well2thebone wrote:
prevent the need to get a third panel.

hihi lol hihi lol hihi
tmeade
Stick to the Blue or Red funstation voicing and CV panels. Add a tkb or sequencer panel later, if you want.
Soviet Space Child
tmeade wrote:
Stick to the Blue or Red funstation voicing and CV panels. Add a tkb or sequencer panel later, if you want.

But then he'll miss out on all of the time domain processing afforded by the WAD, and the ability to process external audio by way of the Preamp Detector. Personally, I wouldn't trade my Animal + Animate for either of the fun stations, but to each their own. seriously, i just don't get it The only thing that I miss from the Blue Fun Station is the ring mod, which is why getting an Animal over an Animoo is my only real regret in regards to this system.
HexEnduction
Two custom panels.
Enjoy the show!
b3nsf
ok here's a game changer.... get 4 m-class!

dual osc, creature
quad slope, WAD

Dead Banana
subterryanean
I'd go Creature + Klangzeit (or WAD)
Along with Quadslope + Gator.

It'd be a chaos generating drum machine.

Or Animal + Animate. I'm anti-sequencing, but that's just me.
Soviet Space Child
HexEnduction wrote:
Two custom panels.
Enjoy the show!

How many shop panels do I need to buy before I can start ordering those? nanners
Soviet Space Child
subterryanean wrote:
I'm anti-sequencing, but that's just me.

Even if your sequencer clock is being driven by the CUPL OUT of an SSG? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
confusional
well2thebone wrote:
This guy covers a lot of ground and is ultra experimental.

LOLz! Smash!
subterryanean
I guess I should be more specific - I'm anti super linear cheesey sequencer. I'm all for random clocked events, and a sequencer can be a great vehical for those sorts of things to play out.

Soviet Space Child wrote:
subterryanean wrote:
I'm anti-sequencing, but that's just me.

Even if your sequencer clock is being driven by the CUPL OUT of an SSG? Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
well2thebone
hmm, maybe I should just get a girlfriend....
Soviet Space Child
well2thebone wrote:

What? So she can tell you to sell all of your cool toys? No thanks. sad banana
Nils
3 panels: Animoo + Animal + Sequencer

2 panels: Animoo + SEQ-A + Dual Q
richard
well2thebone wrote:

lol

Seq A is much misunderstood, its kind of a mini TKB and very nice for a smaller setup. Animal plus Klangzeit plus seq A is a very amazing combination for a 2 panel I promise.

Switch the seq A for something else later if you decide to go for a TKB
chorus7
The only problem with the Seq A is no pulse out per stage... Not a problem for sequencing but if you want to play it like a TKB... You would need a comparator or a on/off pulse...

Joe
sersch
I originally started with a used ANIMAL. If I had to start again today, I'd build up towards this 3 panel system in this order:

1) ANIMAL
2) DUAL ADSR + CV PROCESSOR
3) SQP SEQUENCER + KLANGZEIT/EQ SHIFT

Reasons:
- I want re-triggerable Attack/Decay envelopes, so I needed a DUAL ADSR, as both the DTG and the DSG can only be retriggered if set up as Attack/Sustain/Release envelopes.
- The other thing I dearly miss when I start out with just an ANIMAL is CV attenuation & mixing. So I'd go with a CV PROCESSOR.
- I love the ability to set & recall 4 different voltages at once, but I don't need 16 of them, so instead of a TKB I pick an SQP SEQUENCER. Candiates for the last slot are either an EQ SHIFT (I just love the RES) or the KLANGZEIT.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4