MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wanted/Expected: Volta Hardware Expander - suggestions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Wanted/Expected: Volta Hardware Expander - suggestions
Bath House
All right, Stretta and MOTU, it's an inevitability. You're going to make a physical, dedicated Volta interface sometime in the future. It's probably going to end up being an "expander"-type unit rather than a "Volta-optimized" standard audio interface, because ultimately CV and audio are at odds. So I figured that we could toss out some suggestions and requests and stuff, for what it's worth.

I'm imagining a basic rack unit that would connect via the ADAT/Optical connection in order to expand any current MOTU interface - maybe 16 each 1/4" TRS ins and outs. This would free up the interface's IO to go back to its traditional job and put everything Volta together, including the returning of audio.

Additionally, (if possible?), the interface should support a full +/- 5V range of output instead of the current 4.5.

The other thing I'm dying to see is a dedicated DIN output on the interface. DIN is essential for backwards compatibility with every classic x0x device, and many newer things like the Futureretro Mobius, x0xb0x, STG Soundlabs' time modules, etc. It would be incredibly easy and cheap to incorporate MIDI-to-DIN syncing onboard, and would really make Volta the end-all, be-all, one-click, "every piece of classic CV sequencing gear is immediately rendered obsolete" game-changer. It's really already 97% of the way there, but I still have to go through a MIDI/DIN converter to sync up my 606.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'm intentionally avoiding fanciful "extra inputs or when Volta supports CV sampling and granular CV processing" type suggestions.
Bath House
Oh yeah, and either just make the jacks TS or otherwise make it so that the whole A/B/C/build your own cables thing is a non-issue. That's only an artifact of essentially reverse-engineering the current interfaces.
wetterberg
what would be optimal is a simple ADAT interface, designed for realtively high-voltage CV output, yes.

Has anyone tested the Behringer(spit!) adat interfaces?
smitty
This would be ideal; an ADAT interface that didn't need to be the primary interface to our DAW be it Live, Protools, Logic, etc... . We all have our favorite flavor for our audio interface, and switching to a Motu interface for audio is a big hurdle(ridiculous for many). I'm hoping to get this Ultralite MK3 connecting via Soundflower to my RME Fireface 400 so I can still use the ADs on the 400 for the output of the Modular.

One ADAT in to 8 1/4in. DC coupled outputs is all we need isn't it? Don't need to be specific to the formats and have 1/8in, banana, etc...

AD converters are $7 in non-bulk orders?
Analog>Plugins
Can't this be done over adat already? I have my 2408mk3 hooked up tomy Eventide H8000FW over adat. The 2408mk3 is the main audio interface using the Eventide for aux busses over adat for Fx in Cubase 5.

I can also use the superior a/d converters of the Eventide this way.

But surely the reverse is true i.e using a sound card with adat as your main sound card and using a 2408mk3 over adat purely for Volta?
system700
But it is only 8 Out or 8 In.

So you pay for only 8 Out and you will need a other interface for your Inputs. d'oh!
bar|none
Question for you guys that have a different primary audio interface and want to connect via ADAT.

Actually, I don't know if you are on a Mac or not but can't you just create an aggregate device (mac-only) using your primary interface + the interface you use for Volta?

Is there some technical reason why this is not feasible or desirable?
system700
I do not know if i understand you correct.

But Logic does only allow one Audio Interface that is the reason why i am using RME Raydat + ADAT <-> Anaolg Converters like Apogee Rosetta.
bar|none
In OSX, you can create an "aggregate device" using the Audio Midi Setup.app. This allows you to create a virtual interface consisting of multiple hardware interfaces. Then you can use that device as your "ONE" device in Logic or Live or whatever. Works like a charm. You can also select which device provides the clock and sample rate.
Kent
system700 wrote:
I do not know if i understand you correct.

But Logic does only allow one Audio Interface that is the reason why i am using RME Raydat + ADAT <-> Anaolg Converters like Apogee Rosetta.

Logic will see all of your devices as ONE device if they are set up as Aggregate Audio Devices. It's rather elegant.
smitty
Kent "Logic will see all of your devices as ONE device if they are set up as Aggregate Audio Devices. It's rather elegant."

Now that I have 2 interfaces, this will work for me. What would be ideal for me would be something small and portable i.e. a module. ADAT in->8 DA converters->DB25 Then I could make a snake with connectors of my choice. I'm naive on what it would take to build this, but couldn't it be done for a lot less then the $500 minimum of what's out there now?
revstate
bar|none wrote:
In OSX, you can create an "aggregate device" using the Audio Midi Setup.app. This allows you to create a virtual interface consisting of multiple hardware interfaces. Then you can use that device as your "ONE" device in Logic or Live or whatever. Works like a charm. You can also select which device provides the clock and sample rate.

does this affect i/o buffer ?

as in, will i be able to still run my ensemble perfectly @ 32?
MyPasswordIs123456
Ideal for me would be an 8 DC output interface connected over USB. With it's own drivers that do not rely on Sound Card drivers. Until then the whole setup seem dodgy to me.

Why? Cause I am using a PC (yeah I am old enough hihi) and Motu/Firewire have a really bad reputation on PC.
SepticUnderground
aggegrated devices crank up my MOTU PCI driver i tried that before with yamaha Mlan on the motif XS, but maybe other devices do work, in fact a digital clock fysical connection is recommended for aggr. devices, a 2408 got clock out but the motif got no in, so its not fully failsafe then, its gets crackly very fast after selecting it as driver in Logic.

A DC coupled connecter is needed i believe for volta, a low budget adat Interface wouldnt have that i think. The Motus does..

maybe a creamware A16 can do it also?
TWINSTATES
It didn't work for me, however Stretta very kindaly pointed me in the right direction which was to send the 8 channels via adat to my 828 from my Fireface 800.

Works a charm.
syncretism
SepticUnderground wrote:

maybe a creamware A16 can do it also?

I asked about this when Volta was announced. ADAT's no problem, but the A16 Ultra isn't DC-coupled.
mono-poly
I am waiting for the day i can record cv as audio w00t
Bryan B
mono-poly wrote:
I am waiting for the day i can record cv as audio w00t

I was working on a concept that does this when Volta was announced. I almost shelved the whole idea at that point because Volta looks so awesome and has that sweet multiple VCO tuning feature.

Now I am coming back to the idea because it actually opens a whole new realm of possiblities with effects, looping, arrangement, recording, quantizing and manipulating CV. The potential of treating CV as audio is amazing and mind boggling to me.

I can imagine playing live keys on a synth and recording the CV and Gate out into Ableton Live where I could loop, reverse, time stretch, add delay, reverb (slew?). Then arranging different live jams into tracks, playing them back through my synth (or other synthesizers). Who knows what the audio will sound like from this, it could be a lot of fun to experiment with!
Analog>Plugins
I didn't think the Berhinger ADA8000 was able to put out a good voltage without falling?

I could be wrong, if so then that would be great.
Analog>Plugins
In this thread it says that the Behringer ADA8000 did not work with Volta.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2904&start=0

Is that because it was used with Volta and not Silent Way? or because the guy that got the ADA8000 to work took out the caps.....or that the other guy got it wrong and it works just fine lol????
Analog>Plugins
Definatley worth it even if modding works as it's cheap as chips and has a healthy voltage smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1