MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Monotron through the Bug!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Korg Monotron through the Bug!
jcn7
Here's some fun coolness!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/jcn7/bugified-monotribe[/s]

...and here is another one...

[s]http://soundcloud.com/jcn7/bugged-monotribe[/s]
jcn7
Just added a new 2nd demo...
a100user
Nice work

You're really going to miss that Bug!!!
KNYST
Highly enjoyable (both tracks) w00t
darenager
Very cool! I can definitely recommend doing the drum trigger out mods on the monotribe makes it play real nice with the Bug.
jcn7
Thanks guys!

So, I'm really interested in that Drum trigger output mod Darren...that's not the same as having individual output of each of the drum sounds is it?
otoskope
Also interested! Been planning something like that. Looks pretty simple from the schematics, but if you got a link...would be much appreciated.

jcn7 - I assume it is about getting drum triggers from the seq out, to drive bug stuff.

/Palle
darenager
Here you go, just add a (I used a 4050) buffer from each point and wire to a 3.5mm socket, simple and really useful thumbs up

With the V2.0 OS you can set different track lengths for the parts so polyrhythms are possible, also the roll function makes for clocky goodness hihi
otoskope
Great! Thanks. Except I will of course use bananas It's peanut butter jelly time! instead.
Good news about the different track lengths - that is essential to me, and I missed that in the release notes. I haven't done the upgrade yet...
/Palle
darenager
Hehe yeah I was debating using nanas, but UTLx comes in handy and space is a bit tight so I slummed it with minijacks lol
otoskope
Sunday hang-over project... So I did a couple fo the Monotribe mods, to get it working with the Bug:

As you can see there are plenty of room for bananas! Could add a few more, even.

The three red banana jacks are trigger outs for BD, SD and HH. Works nicely with Bug clock stuff, and to trigger envelopes. A little low for trigging LPGs but OK for pinging filters. I used an LM324 quad-opamp as buffer, and maybe I'll re-configure it to amplify a little (or as comparator) to get the outputs a little hotter, to better drive the LPGs. Thanks darenager for the instructions! But it was very difficult to solder cables to these little points...

The black jacks are separate outputs for BD, SD noise, SD frame and HH, according to these instructions: http://monomodder.blogspot.com/2011/07/monomod-2.html
They are very low level, so I will add some amplification (kept room for that on my little board). But time ran out. Will do later.

I also prepared for the drum decay mod, but didn't finish it: http://monomodder.blogspot.com/2011/07/monomod-1.html

I must say this is a great value little box! Especially now, as a bananified clockable 16 step 3 track gate sequencer with individual track lengths! And a nice little monosynth as an extra... Wow.

/Palle
darenager
Awesome applause Brave man putting the nanas in there - did you make a drilling template?

Might be cool to bring the VCO out too? I've been meaning to add a sub osc to mine perhaps using a cmos counter then tap it into audio in jack.

Also cv and gate outs using this cute little board - only 1ma draw!
http://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=MINIC V
Just tap from the midi out, only 4 or 5 octaves but still quite handy I think.

Couple of points worth noting - if you clock the monotribe externally you can half the tempo, then by using the roll function on the drums to get better resolution can get a bit more interesting patterns. The roll function works well with the trigger outs, which is handy.

Also if you add midi, then the monotribe can act as a modular clock to midi clock converter, brilliant for wonking midi clock, creating shuffle/swing etc.

The korg iOS sync app has extremely accurate tempo, so you can take advantage of clocking the modular to a sample accurate clock, very handy for example if you want to make loop samples with the modular.

You can mute the drum sounds by shorting them to ground, also the VCO too but not sure how safe this is.

I think the monotribe is great, one of those little products that takes you by surprise.

Hope Tom comes up with some mods!
otoskope
Thanks heaps for the link to the Polish MIDI guy. Awesome little utilities there - will most certainly get some from him.

I drilled freehand...just a pencil-line to follow (you see it in the image). But for various reasons (me thinking wrongly) the first holes were bad - too close to the edge. I can still get a banana connector in there, but not the fastening nut. Will use those spare holes for something later, maybe glueing jacks in there.

The "good" holes are centered about 9mm from the outer edge, and spaced 15mm apart, center-center. This is just perfect to fit between the main board and the alu panel.

Thanks also for the other tips and tricks! Didn't even think about the roll function (2.0 is still new to me), but that is great to have on the gate outs!

If I have time, I may put some images on the DIY subforum.

/Palle
darenager
Thanks for the info Palle, BTW I devised some different drum mods than the published ones, but mine use switches rather than pots, I'll try to record a demo of them later, but basically they allow for longer decay on the hat and snare, the published one just shorter I think?
tIB
darenager wrote:

Also if you add midi, then the monotribe can act as a modular clock to midi clock converter, brilliant for wonking midi clock, creating shuffle/swing etc.

Wait a minute... you mean the monotribe does the exact thing Ive been wanting for a year or so. I can modulate a clock in the modular, send it to the monotron and midi out the wonkulated clock as a midi clock? Please???!!!
darenager
Yup! And the sequencer can do polyrhythms, bonus!
darenager
I'll try and make a demo in the next few days time permitting, but its a lot of fun, I think the only limitation is how well the slaved midi device follows clock, the monotribe is tight as fvck though!MPC will probably fare ok, not sure about the Elektrons, I'll have to experiment and get back to you.
tIB
Holy fuck! So Ive been sat here looking for redsound federations, KP3's and pestering DSI to see if the evolver will do it and the monotribe will do it? win! Hold that video, next monotribe on the BST is mine! (or least it would be if I hadnt just bought more delicious blue.)
darenager
Ok, just tested quickly with the MD slaved to SEQ1 via the monotribe, good stuff, the MD responds to the whole SEQ1 clock range despite me wangling the tempo fore and aft like ye madman lol

Oh the other thing is the monotribe can half its response to the incoming clock, which in turn halves the midi clock, so handy as a basic divider too thumbs up
tIB
That is just perfect! kicking myself for not buying neils now. What midi kit you using then, the amazing machines one?
darenager
I roll my own lol
darenager wrote:
Here's mine
tIB
splendid, stack mine at the tip... Ill be in touch. thumbs up
darenager
thumbs up I'll keep one to one side for you.
crippletoe
darenager wrote:
Here you go, just add a (I used a 4050) buffer from each point and wire to a 3.5mm socket, simple and really useful

Hi,
could you maybe explain to a newb what is that buffer? cant i simply send that signal to a 3.5mm socket?

thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1