MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

another run of dudes fsr boxes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author another run of dudes fsr boxes
dude
interest in another run?
dude
price now 120+shipping
Microscopial
sorry dude for ignorance but what is dual fsr box

cheers ross seriously, i just don't get it
dude
ah right, sorry hihi see below for pics. it is basically a passive box with two force sensing resistors on it. they can pass cv or audio and work wonders with the modular for a million different tasks. pressure sensing, not related to electrical conductivity.

for the 1/4" guys, i can get all the jacks on one side/plane comfortably now.
dude
thanks sandy for moving this to the right place! sorry for my ignorance and thank you so much for your care and attention to detail. helps fools like me enjoy this place so much more! and of course thanks for your suggestion of adding some old video as well:

dude
if it works the first round would ship during or just after my spring break which is mid march (i think).

i should also note that i have and will ship anywhere around the world, in fact more of the first full run went international than domestic.

4 people is the absolute minimum in order to make the parts/assembly-time worthwhile/feasible...so tell yer fiends.

Animal!
whitewulfe
Hmmm, those are tempting, thinking about two, just need to verify a few other things before I'd be able to commit.
sduck
Guess I better get one

It's time
Christopher Winkels
They're worth it. thumbs up
dogoftears
I was going to message you soon to see if i could coax you! Bring it, i need another for my live setup.
pugix
I definitely need another type of touch control. I'm in for one! PM'd.
dude
wow, i was almost expecting no response and then i check my mail and boom! please (if you haven't) let me know your desired jack type so i can put you in the queue.

The Chewbacca Defense
mojopin
This sounds great to try out a pressure pad without dedicating rack space to it. Count me in for one euro version. Thanks DUDE!
dude
ok, so to be clear, there will definitely be another run. they work financially best when i order supplies for batches of 10 at a time. but that also gets pricy. i think i am going to try that if we can get a few more people.

also, i am am not sure if i should start a for sale thread or if anyone interested should just pm me with their jack preference. i think the best way to form the queue is from pm with jack pref.

things to note. during this run i am going to be in accelerated nursing school. that means i have to be ultra judicious with my time in order to fit everything in. the first run will be constructed by the end of my spring break (if all goes according to plan). i will try to keep these available after that if there is interest but it will be with a lead time (which would need to be set upon order) in order not to take on more than i can build. i hate keeping people waiting and tend to ship much sooner than i quote. the secret there is that i love building these and build them with love love

oh and i currently wtt for stackables of the mid and shorter varieties. or if you have any other crazy trade offers, feel free to make offers (no drugs, sex or rock'n'roll tho).

thanks everybody for the interest!
dude
ok queue has officially formed. half the spots are taken. if you want one of these (and have not already pm'd me) in this round of 10, please let me know by pm'ing me with your jack preference. that will reserve you your spot in line. i will make them in order. when yours is ready, i will contact you and request payment via paypal purchase option. 100+shipping.
russma
I want dude to get together with boothnavy and make me a combination joystick/FSR box.
dude
ok, spots are going fast. two left and i notice one person in this thread who has not yet contacted me. i do hope to do another run but it will not likely be for a while.
russma
decaying.sine
russma wrote:

I absolutely love the look of boots and dude's desktop devices. They are so classy and such great functional tools. That's not so bad an idea to combine them.
mecanikill
I really want a touch plate for my 5U skiff like a Synthwerks FSR-4. If someone made it I bet it would sell like hotcakes. Someone really should make one.
dude
mecanikill wrote:
I really want a touch plate for my 5U skiff like a Synthwerks FSR-4. If someone made it I bet it would sell like hotcakes. Someone really should make one.

i might be able to make a quad in 2u of motm space. it wouldn't be all pretty like the boxes though. t'would be passive of course.
dude
i talked about doing a 5u passive fsr module when i was doing my first run of boxes. nobody seemed interested. i will try to do one if it were desirable. the fsrs have to be flat to feel right imo. a skiff would work, but how many have 5u skiffs?
dude
oh and for those on the reserve list, here is the manual from the first run:
"firstly, thanks for buying this. you will likely be blessed with with special powers for doing so*

this device is a passive dual unit standalone force sensing resistor box with x/y/z jack connectors. it requires no power of any kind. it makes no sound or signal whatsoever unto itself. it has been tested to pass voltages between -5 to +10 volts but will likely pass wider ranging signals with no problem. the pads (which are the actual resistors themselves), when untouched, inherently stop almost all signals (that we will deal with). there is a very small amount of signal bleed which can be heard/witnessed if the incoming signal is hot and the output monitored at a high volume level. this bleed is natural. these devices are not meant for deeply precise processing. they are meant for fun interactive play-time.

the way the circuit works is that the resistance of the pad is decreased as pressure is applied. the more pressure applied, the more the input signal is passed. so if we were to compare this to an attenuator pot: when the pot is closed (CCW) that is the same state as the FSR with no force applied. when the pot is fully open (CW) that would be when the FSR has maximum pressure applied. the sensing of force is not dependent upon surface area, just overall force. further, the force-related resistance is not dependent on the “X or Y axis” location on the FSR itself. the FSR response is immediate and continuous while force is applied. the amount of resistance is proportional to the total pressure so it does not matter if you use one finger, a palm, etc. in addition, the resistance is also the sum of all forces so if you place a second finger on the FSR it simply adds any pressure to total pressure sensed.

the touch/feel/response by itself is quick. this is ideal for many applications. this can be changed by placing different materials on top. my favorite way to give a nice slow subtle feel is by placing an eggshell foam material on top of the box or even better by by adding slew as well. it is also fun to try different materials (rubber/foam?¡?¡) in order to best suit your own personal touch desires. being a touch interface makes it pretty personal so what works for some may not be ideal for others. experiment! i would also note that while i have not found a pressure amount which could damage the device there are likely limits to how much shock you could apply repetitiously. the device itself responds to light touch so there is no need to squeeze excessively even when using material on top.

a fun part of this design is that you can run anything through the pads. audio or control voltage. there is no designated in or out hence no labeling. each pad has two jacks. an input signal can be put into either of the jacks. whichever of the jacks sits unused is subsequently the output. i initially made the controller as a tool to simply add variable vibrato in the style of the ARP PPC pads. that is just the tip of the iceberg as to patching possibilities. i have designed the device to be comfortable both sitting on a surface as well as in your hand. when used as a dynamic hand-percussion tool, i like to hold it and when it is doing the controller/modulation dance it feels best (to me) to sit it on top of my modular synthesizer CV controller keyboard which in my case is an Roland SH101. again, experimenting is key. the box itself is constructed of a very sturdy aluminum. it has a heft that i find perfectly enjoyable to hold.

in terms of patching, the bare necessities in order to get the widest use with the box in the modular synthesizer context is a VCA, slew limiter and fixed voltage source. as this box is passive, all scaling of voltages must happen either before or after the box. but again, being passive means that there are MANY ways to patch. for instance, patching a touch sensitive vibrato could easily be done a number of ways. i will list two and discuss potential differences:
1. patch a continuous modulation source (LFO) directly into one side of an FSR (input jack). patch the other jack (in this case the output) to a VCO exponential fm input. now as you press the FSR, the modulation will be routed to the VCO therefore modulating it variably.
2. patch a continuous modulation source (LFO) directly into the signal input of a VCA. patch the signal output of said VCA to the VCO exponential fm input. now patch a fixed voltage source into one side of the FSR. take that adjacent FSR output to the VCA control input. turn the VCA offset (if available) down (CCW). now as you press the pad the VCA will open and allow the modulation. VCA should be DC coupled.

you may see different results depending on voltage sources, module settings and attenuation at various stages. in the first example there is more likelihood of getting some signal bleed as well as a generally more drastic result. the second example allows for more dynamic control which i find to be more musically useful.
in either case, adding slew can REALLY smooth things out. experiment. i approach this thing as a musical instrument/interface so like any other instrument, practice time spent learning the behaviors will greatly increase the likelihood of feeling pleasure when you touch the box.
my current favorite use is to pass stereo audio through one channel per side and use the pads as percussion-ish triggers to allow the audio through only when pressure is applied. the response of the pads feels ideal to me for this. as i said before, there can be some bleed. if precise closing off of signal is desired or necessary, it would have to be patched in (noise gate type patch) which is another reason why this is perfect for the modular context. anything is possible. patching a number of these boxes next to each other in audio pass applications could yield some really fun results. i am currently scheming/looking for a nice housing for a bigger/longer box to get more pads on it.

try rubbing a vibrator on itª

special thanks go to JLR, decaying.sine and James Husted (ersatzplanet) for design inspiration and direct help + kindness with this project (and others)!

*this is unconfirmed
ªof course you don't have a vibrator..."
dude
oh shit i just realized i am going to be using mine with my new JAG bitches¡¡¡
dude
ok, one space left. who shall it beee?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4