MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where do I start with Merzbow?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Where do I start with Merzbow?

AntManBee

I'd like to listen to some Merzbow but there's so much - where do I start? Is there an obvious way in?

shamann

His mid-to-late 90s releases on Alien8 (Aqua Necromancer, Door Open at 8am) and Relapse (Pulse Demon, Tauromachine) are to my mind the easiest entry points (easy being relative, of course).

sandyb

my 2 euro c would be on frog.

http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Frog/release/169650

a collaboration, but most certainly pretty accessible, is the album he did with Kim Cascone – Rondo / 7Phases / Blowback

http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Kim-Cascone-Rondo-7Phases-Blowback/rele ase/346881

RealDudes

Pulse Demon
I think it was the first noise I ever heard. It was a bright summer morning waking up with a bracing hangover. It was an awakening.

nrdvrgr

"Last of the analog sessions" 3 CD set on Important Records. Crazy harsh noise made with mostly EMS Synthi, VCS3 etc etc... best headcleaner out there!

...and of course the Partikel-collabs he made with me wink

AntManBee

nrdvrgr wrote:
"Last of the analog sessions" 3 CD set on Important Records. Crazy harsh noise made with mostly EMS Synthi, VCS3 etc etc... best headcleaner out there!

Great - thanks - I just found a copy and it seems rare enough that if I hate it I'll be able to sell it...

"mostly EMS Synth, VCS3 etc" - so will it be like Jean Michel Jarre?!

clarke68

AntManBee wrote:
"mostly EMS Synth, VCS3 etc" - so will it be like Jean Michel Jarre?!

LOL! thumbs up

My first (and only, so far) Merzbow was Amlux...I quite like it, but will be checking out some of the other suggestions in this thread.

parasitk

I picked up Pulse Demon first, which I still love. I also really dig Venereology, Amlux, V (with Pan Sonic).

Babaluma

i only own pulse demon, but it was enough to put me off ever buying any more, haha! lol it's probably the most obnoxious music i've ever heard. if that's your bag you might like it!

no disrespect meant to anyone, i'm just not really into that type of noise/power electronics these days.

AntManBee

Babaluma wrote:
no disrespect meant to anyone, i'm just not really into that type of noise/power electronics these days.

I don't think I am either - my idea of a good time nowadays is a walk in Suffolk - but I'm intrigued to know what lies at the outskirts instead of staying within my musical comfort zone.

parasitk

If you have chaos in your head, you might like it. I do.

I think obnoxious is the wrong word though. Annoying? Maybe.

Babaluma

AntManBee, PM me your addy and I'll send you the CD! smile

steampoweredsequencer

Pulse Demon. Music For Bondage Performance one. Hybrid Noisebloom.

zdarma

+1
on the Cascone/Merzbow CD. It's pretty accessible and I played it for a friend as an introduction.

The MB tribute Milanese Bestiality release is pretty good as an introduction.

I would recommend Cloud Cock OO Grand and Batztoutai With Material Gadgets for some more classic old school Merzbow, but they might be a bit far out as a starter unless you already dig noise.

CJ Miller

I recommend the Relapse and Extreme CDs as being fairly representative and not so rare as to be pricey. Also RRR usually has some excellent ones. Batztoutai got me hooked

amnesia

here are some of my fav merz releases

RGiskard

Not a fan myself, but stumbled on this yesterday:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3811/merzbow.png
(ultra wide image)

Sometimes good ideas sprout from 4chan, of all places! More like those here:
http://mu-flowcharts.blogspot.com/

dogoftears

Just get Veneriology and go from there. It will be easy after you absorb that brainfuck of an album.

ringstone

Babaluma wrote:
it's probably the most obnoxious music i've ever heard.

Better stay away from The Gerogerigegege then.

Not a fan myself mind you!

For the OP: An "easy" in is "Music for Bondage Performance" - only lightly touches on noise. If you want to jump straight in there wait for Babaluma's copy of Pulse Demon. In the middle - maybe "1930" on Tzadik?

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: Link fixed, sorry...

meristem

I'm not too much of a merzbow connoisseur but i always enjoyed merzbeat which i've been told is on the more "listenable" end of the spectrum.
I have Zophorus too which I think newer and pretty good.

CJ Miller

If I had a main go-to Merzbow through the years, it would definitely be:

Metalvelodrome. The Alchemy releases have never been easy to find, but they are my faves.

jonah

I like some Merzbow, like 1930, but I think Massona is a lot more interesting and rewarding. Check out Ejaculation Generater or Frequency LSD.

ringstone

And Aube is usually lumped in with the other Japanoise guys but personally I feel his music is a bit more sophisticated than most of that, more in line with some of the European experimental school...

Cheers
Blair

LoFi Junglist

what's the name of the record where he collaborated with a female singer, and the songs were split with Merzbow on one channel, and the singer on the other?

It would have been pre-2000.

It's been haunting me for years and I've had no luck finding it in Merzbow's vast discography.

ringstone

LoFi Junglist wrote:
what's the name of the record where he collaborated with a female singer, and the songs were split with Merzbow on one channel, and the singer on the other?

It would have been pre-2000.

It's been haunting me for years and I've had no luck finding it in Merzbow's vast discography.

Would be Merzbow/Ladybird - Balance would it not?

http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Ladybird-Balance/release/107299

Cheers
Blair

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3