MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Radios
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Radios
droolmaster0
Perhaps a strange question for here, but as I get more and more into these little noise making devices, I find that I'd like to be able to play am/fm radio through them - I'd like something that can play either through it's own speakers, or through a line out. Really high quality isn't so important, since the sound will be mangled, but it should be good enough.

In any case - anyone have something reliable to recommend? I'll probably just order through Amazon, since I get free 2 day shipping from them.....
suboptimal
Get yourself a Grundig. Shortwave radios have a lot of noise potential in their own right, even without running them through the demon boxes. I think they all have headphone outs in addition to speakers.
droolmaster0
suboptimal wrote:
Get yourself a Grundig. Shortwave radios have a lot of noise potential in their own right, even without running them through the demon boxes. I think they all have headphone outs in addition to speakers.

I tried that a couple of years ago, but in my SF city apt, it just didn't work well.
shamann
I have one of these:

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=6173

The Eton Grundig FR250. It's hand-cranked, has AM/FM (as well as multiple shortwave bands, which can be ignored if they don't work), headphone output jack, and retails for $50. It'll work for what you want. I've run mine through stompboxes without any trouble.

And it's handy in case of a power outage (emergency light, cell phone charger, built in siren, comes with a carry case, etc)
shamann
oops, double post.
droolmaster0
shamann wrote:
I have one of these:

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=6173

The Eton Grundig FR250. It's hand-cranked, has AM/FM (as well as multiple shortwave bands, which can be ignored if they don't work), headphone output jack, and retails for $50. It'll work for what you want. I've run mine through stompboxes without any trouble.

And it's handy in case of a power outage (emergency light, cell phone charger, built in siren, comes with a carry case, etc)

I'll look into it - but I'm probably paying extra for the shortwave. On the other hand it's not expensive. I'm not sure what you mean by hand-cranked....
flippantminister
droolmaster0 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by hand-cranked....

"The hand-crank power generator means no batteries are required, ever. Just turn the crank to listen to AM and FM radio, plus seven shortwave bands."
wetterberg
AND you can get some nice sounds by starving it that way; NOT cranking enough wink

I got the eton 300 while I was in Orlando a while back - lovely device, will buy again if borked. And the shortwave version should be even MORE perfect. Love them.
droolmaster0
wetterberg wrote:
AND you can get some nice sounds by starving it that way; NOT cranking enough wink

I got the eton 300 while I was in Orlando a while back - lovely device, will buy again if borked. And the shortwave version should be even MORE perfect. Love them.

Well, I can get the 250 for a little over $30 from Amazon, so that seems like a good bet.

I wish there were some trick to getting shortwave reception in my SF apt. I remember researching a little awhile back, and I think that I'd have to run a long antenna out my window, which just isn't an option. I think that the signals just don't reach inside the apt. but if there is a way of doing it without extensive stuff set up outside, I'd love to do it.
flippantminister
[quote="droolmaster0"]
wetterberg wrote:
I wish there were some trick to getting shortwave reception in my SF apt.

you MIGHT be able to get some reception if you try running a long wire across the ceiling, near a window. then use an alligator clip or something to clip it onto your antenna. i have a portable radio shack antenna that is basically about 15 feet of wire that you can wind up, with a clip on the end. stretch it out and you're on. it has worked well for me as a cheap, easy solution. not the ultimate solution by any means, but may improve your results.
droolmaster0
[quote="flippantminister"]
droolmaster0 wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
I wish there were some trick to getting shortwave reception in my SF apt.

you MIGHT be able to get some reception if you try running a long wire across the ceiling, near a window. then use an alligator clip or something to clip it onto your antenna. i have a portable radio shack antenna that is basically about 15 feet of wire that you can wind up, with a clip on the end. stretch it out and you're on. it has worked well for me as a cheap, easy solution. not the ultimate solution by any means, but may improve your results.

Probably worth a try - but wouldn't this be equivalent to just holding the radio by the window? Or maybe I'm not understanding you.
flippantminister
droolmaster0 wrote:
Probably worth a try - but wouldn't this be equivalent to just holding the radio by the window? Or maybe I'm not understanding you.

what you are really wanting to do is extend the length of your antenna- antenna length and height are what you need. since you can't construct a tall antenna, being in an apartment, try putting it as high as you can, and making as long as possible...
droolmaster0
I guess I just don't understand the theory behind it - why would a longer antenna, but within the apartment itself, help things? I tried the ceiling bit the last time around, and it didn't do very much.
Cat-A-Tonic
In regards to antenna operation theories...
look at an old crystal radio, or a Gakken tube radio.
I built one of the Gakken tube radios and the antenna is the most interesting part.
It is wire wrapped around an octagonal frame several times increasing diameter.
Antennas require surface area to catch more radio waves (like a net with fish).
I suspect that the amount of power they are fed also has something to do with it.

I can't recommend the Gakken unit though.
I really ought to try to modify it for use with a wallwart.
It chomps through batteries really quickly, and with the old 9volts I have on hand it would only give me one station.
It looks cool, but is little more than decoration.
antennafarm
i honestly don't know the physics behind it, but i made an antenna once (from a schematic on the internet) that was essentially unstripped wire wrapped around a PVC pipe, mounted to a wooden base. at the time i was living in a basement room but my SW radio went from getting almost nothing from a wire antenna to picking stuff up worldwide. simple and cheap!
droolmaster0
Will the reception be better with a more expensive model? Or will the 250 (mentioned above, and cheap) do fine, do you think?
shamann
My impression look at the more expensive models they had in the shop when I got mine was that the more expensive models just added more functions, but were built on the spec. Just an impression though, I could be wrong.
droolmaster0
I'm tempted to get the 350 deluxe model.....
insomniyack
I've been thinking about what you're saying and...

NOW I HAVE GAS FOR A RADIO!! lol

Just think of the noise making possibilities in between the stations...run it through some effects...oh boy
droolmaster0
insomniyack wrote:
I've been thinking about what you're saying and...

NOW I HAVE GAS FOR A RADIO!! lol

Just think of the noise making possibilities in between the stations...run it through some effects...oh boy

Well, my 350 arrived on Friday, and died after about 15 minutes. Amazon is good about such stuff though, and I should be getting a replacement on Monday. I don't pay for the return shipping, or the shipping on the new one.

My brief experience with trying to get shortwave reception here was that I am going to have to get some wire and try to do up more of a righteous antenna. I got some advice from people, and I think it's worth a try.

It was also recommended that I look at getting a scanner....
Umcorps
Just posted this after being inspired by this thread to dig out an old FM radio from the back of my sock drawer

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68591#68591

Thanks for the inspiration. Lost an afternoon playing with this little setup.
droolmaster0
That was nice. Enjoyed muchly. Can't wait to get a working one (should be monday)
Pulse Emitter
i've gotten rid of all my white noise generating modules over the years in favor of using a radio, the static is so much more interesting to my ears, can be tuned for just the right crackle. i've collected quite a few and the one i always use now is a shortwave from probably the late 70's i got at a flea market for $5. it's actually broken in that it doesn't get stations very well, and no antennae. but it's loud as hell and the crackle is great sounding, can be tuned from pretty sparse to full on blizzard, and has a tone knob that comes in handy. shortwave and aircraft receiver and my favorite bands. looks great too!
emergencyofstate
i finally dug out my grundig shortwave and set up a noise experiment alongside my eurorack getup. this was one of the threads that motivated me so thought i'd include a link. I really want a better antenna to hang out of my apartment window.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5556

SlayerBadger!
modularplanner
Another thing to look for is a cheap scanner to pick up Airbands, CB, fax transmission, repeater beacons, intercoms, emergency services (illegal here) and analogue cellphones (rare). Its nice to setup up automatic scanning and sweep through loads of voice/data traffic. I'm sure a second hand AOR, ICOM etc scanner can be had for well under £100
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2