MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsNews   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

Arranging songs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Arranging songs

syntax_tn

Hi.

I'm in the process of writing a virtual modular and while tinkering with the step sequencer modules, I was wondering, how do real wigglers go about when arranging songs (or longer phrases)? Do you use pattern sequencers capable of arranging, do you record and arrange later in a DAW, do you switch and/or attenuate everything manually at the right point, do you utilize sequential switches or just go for algorithmic noodles without much manual interventions?

Just curious, because I sometimes hear one-take recordings which seem to have an intricate song structure going on.

Ockeghem

The more step sequencing modules you have, the more you can do in a single take. Once everything is all set up!
The other way is to record stuff in the DAW one phrase at a time and concentrate more on patching the sounds than triggering them.

Clockgate

I record it all in one take using multiple sequencers running at different rates, sequential switches, clock dividers and voltage controlled switches. Getting it all in sync can take quite a while and once it's running, there is no stopping it for the duration.

chamomileshark

I do this...

"do you record and arrange later in a DAW, "

tec

You may find the MIDI protocol is most suited for arrangement of your songs, particularly as you use virtual synthesizers.

darenager

Clockgate wrote:
I record it all in one take using multiple sequencers running at different rates, sequential switches, clock dividers and voltage controlled switches. Getting it all in sync can take quite a while and once it's running, there is no stopping it for the duration.

^ This, by far the most fun.

hageir

The dream is off course having an interface with so many inputs you could just record EVERYTHING seperately…

But so far I'm pretty good at mixing and I like the old-school way of recording a stereo mix into the computer and performing the song perfectly.

Reminds me of the early 20s, 30s and 40s when the African-American artists only got ONE take in a studio, with maybe a 12 man band and ONE microphone, CUTTING IT STRAIGHT TO VINYL.

That shit must've been REAL HARD Rockin' Banana!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1