MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

RCD/SCM firmware suggestion thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author RCD/SCM firmware suggestion thread
JP
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53869

There are a 3 or 4 of us having a go at hacking the 4MS RCD/SCM firmware to come up with new and interesting uses of the 2 trigger in, 8 outs and potentially the expansion board capabilities (although I'm avoiding that personally so as to not over complicate things).

Figured I'd start a thread for brainstorming some functionality people might be interested in seeing.

I'll start with the first 2 I'm working on.

Rotating Scanner:
- Clock in progresses the trigger out until it's played 8 outs, then it reverses and comes back 8, repeat.
- Rotate trigger in, steps the 1 and 8 positions forward 1.
- reset puts everything back to starting at 1, 1+8 are the reverse points

Prime Divided Clock:
- Clock in generates clock out at outs 1-8 on a prime number interval:
- steps 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19 will generate trigger outs.

Prime multiplied Clock:
- Clock in generates clock out at outs 1-8 on a prime number interval:
- x2, x3, x5, x7, x11, x13, x17, x19 of the clock will be trigger outs.
a scanner darkly
ADC Pattern Generator:
- Rotate In CV value is converted to 8 bit binary value.
- A trigger in Clock In produces trigger outs in all outs that are enabled according to the binary value.
- Alternative version: outputs that are enabled produce gates instead of triggers. Clock In serves as trigger for S&H of Rotate In voltage.

Bouncing Ball Trigger Delay
- Clock In trigger is delayed by a constant amount (so one trigger will produce 8 trigger outs, each delayed by that amount from the previous one).
- Rotate In value is used to offset each consecutive delay. When it's at 0 all delays are equal (say, 100ms). Negative value makes each delay shorter than the previous one (so 100ms, 90ms, 80ms etc). Positive value increases each consecutive delay.
- Possible use for expansion: use one of the inputs to control delay value.

If I manage to do these 2 I'll try the SCM expansion, here is one that I have in mind right now:

Bipolar Swing x 4:
- Clock In is either copied to all 8 outs or is divided in groups of 2: outs 1&2 is a copy of Clock In, outs 3&4 is Clock In divided by 2, outs 5&6 - division by 4 and outs 7&8 - division by 8. Which option is selected is controlled by a switch on the expansion.
- 4 CV ins on the expansion determine swing amount applied to 4 groups of outs. Same swing amount is subtracted from outs 1, 3, 5 and 7 and added to outs 2, 4, 6 and 8.
Veqtor
One could use the expansion toggles to multiplex several modes, like on the cyclebox.

Some mode ideas:

* Pseudo-random gates
* 1-bit shift register
* Divide by N RCD (rotate input increases division)
* Euclidian polyrythms
JP
I wonder how much data we can store on there?

You could preprogram all the sequences that are shown in the classic book "260 Drum patterns"

http://www.amazon.com/Drum-Machine-Patterns-Leonard-Corp/dp/0881888877  /

Then have them selected based on some input param, either stepped through or based on a knob turn.
a scanner darkly
Veqtor wrote:
One could use the expansion toggles to multiplex several modes, like on the cyclebox.

JP wrote:
I wonder how much data we can store on there?

It would be great to be able to have multiple algos and choose between them. SCM expansion seems like a better candidate with 4 CV Inputs and 2 switches, so just using the switches alone would give 4 different modes.

For the ADC Pattern Generator could use switches to switch between:
- triggers reflecting the actual binary value (so each trigger acts like a divider by 2 when using a triangle LFO, for instance)
- triggering the highest bit only
- triggering the highest bit and all bits below it
vtl5c3
I'd like a random or pseudo-random trigger mode.
ATOM
Thinking
divide by 2, 3 , 4, ,7 ,8, 16

random AND on 1 (off)beat

random AND on 2 (on) beat

ATOM
JP
Drunk();

http://www.cycling74.com/docs/max5/refpages/max-ref/drunk.html

Start at out 1,
on clock
trigger out of 2, 1 or 8
repeat

It means to the clock will wander up down in a semi random yet constrained fashion.

(expansion pots could alter distance moved, probablity of forward/stationary/backwards movement, etc. )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1