MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS- new serge pcbs- Negative Slew & Peak and Trough
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CGS- new serge pcbs- Negative Slew & Peak and Trough
djs
Looks like Ken created two more boards:
CGS82- Negative Slew
http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs82_negative_slew.html

CGS84- Peak and Trough
http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs84_peakandtrough.html

looks like the link is broken for the CGS82 board?
Rod Serling Fan Club
SlayerBadger!

So I am guessing that CGS83 will be the Positive Slew?

Now that there is a fair selection of modules I am tempted to do a paperface boat.
andrewF
don't let the simplicity of the P&T fool you
It is one of the sweetest Serge modules......so much fun love
e-grad
Pos and Neg Slew are the ancestors of the Universal Slope Gen. What's the use of having them if there's a DUSG available, as well? Just curious.

http://www.serge-fans.com/history_6.htm
bartlebooth
andrewF wrote:
don't let the simplicity of the P&T fool you
It is one of the sweetest Serge modules......so much fun love

I agree! the peak and trough is very underrated!

Quote:
Pos and Neg Slew are the ancestors of the Universal Slope Gen. What's the use of having them if there's a DUSG available, as well? Just curious.

there are a few differences in the positive slew - a sustain input and an inverted pulse output - but its true you can replicate almost all of the functionality of the pos. and neg. slew with the DUSG:
- for neg slew, turn rise to 0 and throw rise/both/fall switch to fall
- for pos slew, turn fall to 0 and throw switch to rise

i do find that the limitations of only slewing in one direction make me use them differently - sharp sawtooths instead of softer triangle waves, more percussive envelopes,etc.
Cable
Im trying to understand what the peak and through does..can someone maybe educate me a bit? very frustrating
richard
if its like Ken's analogue logic then its a min/max
diophantine
Yes, Peak/Trough is similar to a Min/Max or Ken's Analog Logic. I've never played with the Serge Peak/Trough, so I couldn't tell you any specifics.

Some diagrams of operation on the YuSynth page:
http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/MINMAX/index.html

I'm totally thrilled about these modules, and hope that a Positive Slew comes soon too!
daverj
The Serge peak & trough is basically the same concept as Ken Stone's Analog Logic module, giving an analog OR and analog AND.

However, be aware that the Serge version uses unbuffered inputs (Ken's Analog Logic board has buffered inputs) so, with the typical series resistor found on many modules, the inputs will have non-linear loading based on the other signals fed into the module. This means that if you were to mult a signal into this and into something else, the signal would be distorted by other signals going into this module and that would change how that signal controlled whatever else it was mult'd into.

If you only feed signals into this module, you don't see the effects of the non-linear loading, so no problems. It's only if you mult signals into this and other modules at the same time that you see the effect.
gde
Too bad it looks like you can't snap the board in half to more comfortably use it in smaller formats (or in separate systems/modules). Atleast its super easy to perfboard.
unintentional states
daverj wrote:

However, be aware that the Serge version uses unbuffered inputs (Ken's Analog Logic board has buffered inputs) so, with the typical series resistor found on many modules, the inputs will have non-linear loading based on the other signals fed into the module. This means that if you were to mult a signal into this and into something else, the signal would be distorted by other signals going into this module and that would change how that signal controlled whatever else it was mult'd into.

If you only feed signals into this module, you don't see the effects of the non-linear loading, so no problems. It's only if you mult signals into this and other modules at the same time that you see the effect.

Something like the Real Ring Modulator has a similar drawback, but I think both these things fall in the category of being simple/compact/useful enough that it's not a major deterrent for me personally.
CJ Miller
RSFC: I believe you to be correct about Positive Slew being on the way. Ken and his elves probably tests new boards before they are announced...

e-grad: Similar ideas, implemented a bit differently. Just like you can choose between various distinctive flavors of filter, you can choose between different slew modules as well. Only you can say whether or not it is worth your while. I, for one, am excited!
pugix
Ah, the old Negative Slew. I hope that link starts working, so I can look at it. For my first DIY synth in 1980 I built some Negative Slews, reverse-engineered from the originals. Those were very clever, simple circuits. I'm glad Ken is able to make them available.
e-grad
Thanks for the info.

I've found some more:

http://www.serge.synth.net/documents/datasheet/ControlModules1.jpg

and a working link by cgs:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/synth/serge/pic/serge_negative_slew_schem.gif

By now, I'd like one or two pcbs.
pugix
I built Smooth & Stepped generators too. I found out that both circuits are identical, and I added switches so each one could be Smooth or Stepped. They oscillate with a Triangle wave, so I called them Triangles.
sanders
richard wrote:
if its like Ken's analogue logic then its a min/max

Nice avatar Richard, somehow I never expected to see Artaud in a DIY Synth forum
sanders
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:

Now that there is a fair selection of modules I am tempted to do a paperface boat.

I'm thinking the same thing! I'm not sure if I'd actually use paper veneer for the graphics. But, I think I'm going to have some shop panels made using the old style Serge graphics, with the bigger Davies type knobs.

If you'd like to work on it together, I've already begun laying out a few modules in FPD. Maybe we could compare notes and split up the execution? I like working in FPD because I have my panels cut and milled by Front Panel Express. I don't get the graphics etched, it's way too expensive. But, I understand that FPE-US is probably going to start offering metal-photo process. That would be one-stop shopping for me.
sanders
pugix wrote:
I built Smooth & Stepped generators too. I found out that both circuits are identical, and I added switches so each one could be Smooth or Stepped. They oscillate with a Triangle wave, so I called them Triangles.

I expect Ken will eventually offer the Smooth and Stepped Gen as well. That's sort of the last thing I'm waiting for before having a dedicated Serge panel made up.
otherunicorn
gde wrote:
Too bad it looks like you can't snap the board in half to more comfortably use it in smaller formats (or in separate systems/modules). Atleast its super easy to perfboard.

You can CUT it in half though!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Anyone notice CGS82 - Negative Slew is gone on Kens site?

@Sanders - I missed your posts. I have not started work on any of the paperface panels. My plan was to either etch my own panel or maybe a metalphoto group-buy sort of thing. I haven't really moved forward as I'm also a bit curious to see what else Ken comes out with. I'm always happy to share and contribute what I can.

Ken has mentioned that Serge T. doesn't want him to release the SSG as a PCB and only as a complete module.
djs

It disappeared about a day after i made the original post. My guess is that the pcb isn't ready for sale yet?

Either way, I appreciate everything Ken has done for releasing these pcbs.

I'd also like to see a serge frequency shifter and/or WAD board, but my guess is that they probably use some weird unobtanium chips.
otherunicorn
djs wrote:

It disappeared about a day after i made the original post. My guess is that the pcb isn't ready for sale yet?

Either way, I appreciate everything Ken has done for releasing these pcbs.

I'd also like to see a serge frequency shifter and/or WAD board, but my guess is that they probably use some weird unobtanium chips.

Only a menu link was ever on the site, never the whole module. The article is yet to be written. A positive slew will also be released.

WAD uses SAD1024, and frankly hens teeth are more common. The only way I was able to get a couple was.... to buy a WAD.
Rod Serling Fan Club
Ken,
Can you drop any hints on what serge PCBs might be made available in the future? phaser? frequency shifter?
otherunicorn
In the more "immediate" future. The wave multipliers are done and need testing. The phaser is on the to do list. There seems to be some demand for the first version VCO, despite it being a noise-maker VCO only. i.e., it doesn't track. Beyond that, who knows.
Rod Serling Fan Club
It occured to me that paperface style panels could easily be done as euro modules. I might pursue this once I've made more progress on the steiner and buchla panels I'm working on. In example:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2