lazertran

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

lazertran

Post by Luka » Thu May 28, 2009 10:12 pm

I've realised that most of my 5U module designs cannot be etched with my current methods and this has stalled my progress a lot. The problem is that when i print the toner transfer on pnp blue for large panel sizes the pnp blue and paper starts jamming up my printer. Due to this im limited to about A5 sizes using this current method.

Ive noticed some people with rather large lazertran decal panels and i'm keen to know how you print these out. Ontop of that i would love a quick tutorial and a few users tips on getting good panels finishes. Especially the baking method.

Any one experienced in this lazertran method?

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Thu May 28, 2009 10:34 pm

i gave up. i didn't try to hard though. now i'm using paint pen and hand drawing! i like it. :mrgreen:

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Fri May 29, 2009 12:20 am

I did a bunch of Lazertran Frac PB panels back in October & posted about it here: viewtopic.php?t=1906
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

Dragonslair
Common Wiggler

Post by Dragonslair » Fri May 29, 2009 12:40 am

I tried some Lazertran a while back, but could never get acceptable results.
Now I am using Alumajet panels http://www.horizonsisg.com
They look very good, the only thing is that you need an inkjet printer with a straight through paper path.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Fri May 29, 2009 1:20 am

my klee panel is 7U wide so i am interested in how you print these transfers out.

is there a3 lazertran sheets that i can take to printing shop and get done?
is the printing process similar to pnp blue where you have to attach it to a piece of paper to print?

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:08 pm

Luka wrote: is there a3 lazertran sheets that i can take to printing shop and get done?
is the printing process similar to pnp blue where you have to attach it to a piece of paper to print?
You could cut up the letter sized sheet and tape it to another peice of paper-- like PNP Blue-- to print one section at a time. Or you could print the whole panel, and then cut your decal into sections.

Lazertran is just like a normal 8.5" by 11" peice of paper that you run through any printer. Once printed, you soak it in water and the decal slides off the paper base. The actual decal is not like a plastic film, but like a very delicate pulpy film-- extremely easy to tear. I think this is why many people print out their panel graphics in sections, rather than printing an entire panel on one decal. It's quite difficult to line up the decal perfectly-- the more you fuss with it the more likely you are to start tearing it up. So, obviously the smaller the decal, the less surface area to line up, or potentially crinkel up.

Also, the way many people use it, you must print your graphics in reverse so that you can lay the decal toner-side down. This gives you a buffer between the toner and and your panel surface. I've tried it the regular way, toner-side up, and found that the toner would bleed very easily, just from squee-geeing it, and even worse when applying a clear coat over it.

I've seen some amazing panels done with lazertran, but it definitely requires some practice and much patience, in my experience. I have a bunch left, and I'm gonna try working with it again-- to avoid schaeffer etching.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”