what frac should I get to fill 1 blacet rack?

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nikmis
my last name backwards

what frac should I get to fill 1 blacet rack?

Post by nikmis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:27 pm

I see these topics in the eurorack forum daily, so why not?

I have a PAIA 9700s and a rack of DIY (a MFOS VCO, magic smoke mankato, an 8 in 1 out audio mixer, cgs synthacon, cgs ring mod, and a MFO dual vco, plus a cgs psycho lfo and 3 dc mixers/buffered multiples in the rack ears)

what should I fill an empty blacet rack with? what frac modules do you reccomend? all I know is that I don't want anymore VCOS right now

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 am

The Binary Zone is good fun if you're into sequencers - it can be a bit random and unpredictable, but it's still fun. Or a Hex Zone if you want to get serious about sequencing. Then those they may lead you to a Frequency Divider...

The Micro LFO is a great VCLFO. You don't seem to have any dedicated envelopes, so the EG1 might be of interest.

Also, don't forget about Metalbox, they have some cool modules especially on the sequencing side. Also a 1U ADSR that is very handy.

But I guess it depends on if you want to expand the sonic capabilities of your synth or get into sequencing.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 am

^ what he said really- you want sequecning or audio?

My frac highlights:

The hex zone is full of win if you like sequencing semi random gates/switches. Totally changed my approach to rhythmic programming. Binary zone is fun and makes a nice team for it, though I think I prefer my metalbox gated comparator.

Bugbrand- if you can find the minijack stuff then do so- I managed just under a frames worth from sharking the BST. The processing modules are incredible- filter, VCA/dist, wavefolder, crusher etc... all magnificent. Weevil is avaliable in minijack too which is also brilliant and multi-purpose.

The metalbox drum stuff is great- have a cynare and MB8008 and wouldnt want to be without them.

Blacet EG1 is very near perfect- need to mod mine for an end of cycle out and then it would be, great envelope and loads of CV.

Encore frequency shifter- sounds great, a bit annoying in that the low shifts are hard to reach due to knob resolution, theres a work around though.

Miniwave- sounds nasty as a processor, nice as an osc and has the bous of being a quantizer. Win!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 am

it really depends on what type of sounds you are going for, but knowing your music, as i do, i reckon an motm 1490 (moog modular style low pass ladder filter) and 1190 (dual all discrete class a vca with gorgeous overdrive), would be an insane combination for you.

as said before, the blacet eg1 is an amazing module. i have mine modded with 3 position switches for the attack and decay shapes at exp, lin and log, an end of cycle out, and an extra regular output. the bananalogue VCS is another great module with similar functions.

the blacet time machine is a great VC BBD delay.

a pair blacet micro LFOs are extremely flexible.

there, that's a frac rack filled!

other shout has to go out to the blacet super vca. most fully featured VC mixer/panner/crossfader/VCA i know of, with an extremely clean sound.

more esoteric are the wiard 1200 series, definitely worth researching/considering too, the combination of a wiard boogie with a blacet super VCA has undreamed of sonic capabilities.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 am

Buy my Stonz! No, but really. The Stonz is pretty damn nice. I would keep it, but I went with a Buchla 297 instead.

The Metalbox/CGS offerings are rather nice as well.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:30 am

Yes, the SuperVCA is awsome!

The HexZone is not only a sequencer but a seq. switch at the same time. Great!

Splitter/Buffer/Mixer is a very handy and clever design.

Both, the Morphing Terrarium and the Cloud Gen. are great.
Last edited by e-grad on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:28 am

Binary Zone, Miniwave, EG1, Mixer/Processor, and a STG Wavefolder if you can find one :sb:
Then get a Metalbox 8008, and a Dr.Sketch&Etch ASR for the ears!
:party:
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

nikmis
my last name backwards

Post by nikmis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 am

werock wrote:The Micro LFO is a great VCLFO. You don't seem to have any dedicated envelopes, so the EG1 might be of interest.

Also, don't forget about Metalbox, they have some cool modules especially on the sequencing side. Also a 1U ADSR that is very handy.

But I guess it depends on if you want to expand the sonic capabilities of your synth or get into sequencing.
I am not into sequencing, thank god. That seems like a dark, scary road of broken dreams and heartache. i do have three envelopes on the PAIA 9700, and also two envelopes on an mfb kraftzwerg.

I am definitely getting the blacet EG.
babaluma wrote:the blacet time machine is a great VC BBD delay.
are these not made anymore?
kent wrote:Buy my Stonz! No, but really. The Stonz is pretty damn nice. I would keep it, but I went with a Buchla 297 instead.
how much?

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 am

Things not mentioned yet: There was an STG wavefolder on the BST list recently. I don't see a noise/random source on your list, check out the Improbability Drive. You can't beat Blacet's 3030 digi-effects module. It's not best-of-class in any particular department but I like to do everything in one pass and the 3030 is a useful and inexpensive voltage controlled effect multi-tool that can help out in lots of ways.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 am

nikmis wrote:
babaluma wrote:the blacet time machine is a great VC BBD delay.
are these not made anymore?
Discontinued a long time ago due to the scarcity of the delay chip used.
nikmis wrote:
kent wrote:Buy my Stonz! No, but really. The Stonz is pretty damn nice. I would keep it, but I went with a Buchla 297 instead.
how much?
The StonZ is a very cool phaser! Kent's price is a bargain. Just have a look in the BST forum.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:59 pm

I've not read the other replies to avoid influence, so I would suggest...

Envelopes, either EG1 or DAD

I know you said no more VCOs but you can use the miniwave for many other things, e.g quantiser.

I don't think I saw a noise source so maybe an improbability drive?
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:10 pm

chamomileshark wrote:I don't think I saw a noise source so maybe an improbability drive?
The PAiA VCA has a white noise source. But, yes, I think a dedicated noise source a must.

However, unforetunately I've no personal experience with the Imp Drive yet I'm sure it would sit nicely in your system.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:53 pm

The MOTM filters and VCAs in Frac sound fantastic,
but you already have the Mankato...

It would be awesome to have a Blacet Super VCA and modulate it in quadrature with that Mankato.

Blacet EG1, and Micro LFO are both highly recommended.

The Improbability Drive is packed with functionality.
Add the external input for the VCF, S&H, quantizer.
The digital noise is extracted from analog white noise via window comparator; giving it a very different sound from shift-register based digi-noise.

You already have a ringmod,
but the Klangwerk would allow for a cleaner sound than the CGS
and it would also provide amplification, envelope following, VC waveshaping, and a spare VCO.

If you find yourself scaling your voltages with offsets, attenuation, and amplification and want more accuracy
a BarGraph is a surprisingly handy tool.

If you find yourself in Yokohama/Tokyo let me know if you want to test drive some Frac.
I may even have a couple of things to sell/trade.

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:18 pm

As Babaluma & Cat-A-Tonic said, the MOTM 1490 filter & 1190 Dual VCA is an incredible combination. I'm actually currently in the process of creating most of the synth basslines for my band's new album using this combo (fed with a Blacet VCO & shaped by Blacet EG1s). Seriously big, fat sound! These two modules may be a little hard to find though...

I think there is still a Wavefolder available from Bugbrand. If it's still available (last time I checked there was one in stock), I'd grab that in an instant. The VCA/Drive is also fantastic if you want some distortion, and the Weevil is very handy for adding a bit of wonderful chaos into the synth :)

I also highly recommend the Blacet Super VCA as others have suggested. A Binary Zone would by handy to add a bit of controlled randomness to the system. You did say no more VCOs, but the F350 Morphing Terrarium is an amazing digital oscillator that will get you timbres you could never get from your VCOs.

Fnord
Discordian Wiggler

Post by Fnord » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm

:wiard: or :bugbrand: if you can get em.
bsmith: it would be awesome to see people with lots of euro give them pokemon values and do battle

Muffwiggler: I've seen communities ruined over politics. I've seen friendships end over racism. I've never seen these things happen as a result of breasts.

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:16 am

solitaryzen wrote:As Babaluma & Cat-A-Tonic said, the MOTM 1490 filter & 1190 Dual VCA is an incredible combination. I'm actually currently in the process of creating most of the synth basslines for my band's new album using this combo (fed with a Blacet VCO & shaped by Blacet EG1s). Seriously big, fat sound! These two modules may be a little hard to find though...
Analogue Haven still have the VCA in stock...

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 am

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:The MOTM filters and VCAs in Frac sound fantastic,
but you already have the Mankato...

It would be awesome to have a Blacet Super VCA and modulate it in quadrature with that Mankato.
The MOTM190 was my fav. VCA untill I built a SuperVCA. The latter's feature to dial in any charactist from and btn. lin to expo makes the SuperVCA the VCA to go for.

Anyhow the MOTM190 is awsome as well.

pulse_divider

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am

If you don't have any Blacet VCOs, i'd consider ditching one of your others for one... It's one of the best VCOs I've ever used on any system.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 am

I didn't realise it wasn't just Blacet.

If you can get a Bananalogue VCS you may find tha interesting.

The Oakley little lag from Paul is really usefull too.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 am

e-grad wrote:The MOTM190 was my fav. VCA untill I built a SuperVCA. The latter's feature to dial in any charactist from and btn. lin to expo makes the SuperVCA the VCA to go for.

Anyhow the MOTM190 is awsome as well.
i kept both, as they both offer things the other doesn't have. you can't beat the motm for overdriven sounds, and you can't beat the super vca for cleanliness and flexibility. they work very well together!

nikmis
my last name backwards

Post by nikmis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:36 pm

wow, so there is lots of good advice in here. I do find myself wanting more vcas

so here is what I am going with:
blacet EG1, super vca, micro LFO, metalbox adsr, motm-1190 and then leave a spot empty and watch the 'for sale' forum
Last edited by nikmis on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nikmis
my last name backwards

Post by nikmis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Cat-A-Tonic wrote: If you find yourself in Yokohama/Tokyo let me know if you want to test drive some Frac.
I may even have a couple of things to sell/trade.
I might take you up on that offer. I think I will be playing double bass in several Italian canzone concerts in Tokyo and Yokohama this summer. I have been here two years and have never been to Tokyo

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”