MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

IDOW Extended Interview Series #2: Pere Ubu / EML
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author IDOW Extended Interview Series #2: Pere Ubu / EML
s o l v e n t
I Dream of Wires, Extended Interview Series #2:
Allen Ravenstine and Robert Wheeler of Pere Ubu

This is the official video segment, on IDOW's Vimeo channel:

http://vimeo.com/idreamofwires/ravenstinewheelerpereubu

[I'd prefer to have this video embedded but can't seem to figure out how to do it, on account of it being Vimeo... any tips?]

In February 2012, Pere Ubu synthesists Allen Ravenstine ('75 to '89) and Robert Wheeler ('94 to present), two legendary figures of Cleveland's punk rock scene, met at Grant Avenue Studio to discuss and demonstrate the EML modular synthesizers that have been an integral part of the Pere Ubu sound for almost 40 years. The interviews were conducted for inclusion in "I Dream of Wires: the Modular Synthesizer Documentary." The impromptu jam session that followed marked the first time the two have ever played together.

This is the 2nd in a series of extended interviews, which will be produced and released in various formats throughout the production, and following the release, of the film. I DREAM OF WIRES extended interview segments are sponsored by MATRIXSYNTH (http://m.matrixsynth.com).

Note: An extended, 23-minute cut of this piece is available to watch on YouTube, with additional performance footage and further discussions on the early days of Pere Ubu. A must for Pere Ubu fans! http://youtube.com/watch?v=fSBYPHWka_E
abstraktor
just watched this - a pair of legends (the EML's I mean hihi ).
seriously though, Ravenstine's sounds made Ubu for me.
applause
HeWhoWantsJeans
Holy. Shit.

After the next pay-day, I'm going to *beg* you to take more of my money.
construct09
This is great
Thanks
mckenic
See, I have no idea who those chaps are or what they were involved in (how would I?) but the interview and performance had me riveted! Great stuff!

thumbs up
rico loverde
really cool. i am sooo looking forward to this movie!!!
construct09
mckenic wrote:
See, I have no idea who those chaps are or what they were involved in (how would I?) but the interview and performance had me riveted! Great stuff!

thumbs up

Have a listen to the band 'pere ubu' mckenic
noobyscooby
Awesome. Inspired me to go fire up the EML 100 for the first time in awhile.
mckenic
construct09 wrote:
mckenic wrote:

thumbs up

Hey mate!

This is really interesting for me (and personally Im DELIGHTED with the two film approach for this exact reason)...

I was born in Ireland in 74 - so Im aware of the Virgin Prunes, Popul Vuh, Neu, Kraftwerk, King Crimson, Vince Clarke - lots of the British groups etc. It was in to my late 20s I discovered Beefheart and Zappa etc.

I seriously wouldn't know about a Cleveland band from 75 - I do now and Im very grateful that I do - so unless it was the Velvets, Doors, Smiths, Half Man Half Biscuit, Floyd, Enigma, Orb, Orbital, Afx - or some way related, I wouldn't have found them when I was younger.

This is of course no disrespect intended - as said, Im delighted to learn more - but if I was doing a movie, I wouldnt expect anyone in the States to know - Engine Alley, Sack but perhaps MBV... Two films will ROCK!

Off to check out more Pere Ubu!
s o l v e n t
mckenic wrote:
construct09 wrote:
mckenic wrote:

thumbs up

Hey mate!

This is really interesting for me (and personally Im DELIGHTED with the two film approach for this exact reason)...

I was born in Ireland in 74 - so Im aware of the Virgin Prunes, Popul Vuh, Neu, Kraftwerk, King Crimson, Vince Clarke - lots of the British groups etc. It was in to my late 20s I discovered Beefheart and Zappa etc.

I seriously wouldn't know about a Cleveland band from 75 - I do now and Im very grateful that I do - so unless it was the Velvets, Doors, Smiths, Half Man Half Biscuit, Floyd, Enigma, Orb, Orbital, Afx - or some way related, I wouldn't have found them when I was younger.

This is of course no disrespect intended - as said, Im delighted to learn more - but if I was doing a movie, I wouldnt expect anyone in the States to know - Engine Alley, Sack but perhaps MBV... Two films will ROCK!

Off to check out more Pere Ubu!

Of course people discover things all the time - there's so much out there, you can't know about everything... But I wouldn't put your lack of knowledge about Pere Ubu down to your age or geography... Pere Ubu were well-known in alternative music circles internationally, throughout the '70s, '80s, '90s. I wouldn't be surprised if they were more successful in EU/UK than they were in the US, actually.
e-grad
Great! AR contributed some great sounds to one of my favourite records:

sentimentalist
thanks, really nice!
Popski
I happened upon a free Pere Ubu street show in Toronto (NXNE) in about 1996. I nearly shit myself with glee!!

awesome inclusion in IDOW..
Reality Checkpoint
The inclusion of Pere Ubu has pushed me over the edge and I have just donated.

I should have done this a long time ago.

Sorry for being so tardy!
sundog
This is really special. Now I'm going to need to donate.

I saw them at the Zap Club, Brighton in 1989 and having just checked the timeline on www.ubuprojex.net I see Alan Ravenstine had recently been replaced by Eric Drew Feldman (ex Beefheart) - I think this was the non-modular years!
Rod Serling Fan Club
This was great. Thanks!
HeWhoWantsJeans
When the mentioned Devo I was like "...if you interview Mark Mothersbaugh, I'll damn near shit my pants."

Just a thought. hihi
s o l v e n t
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
When the mentioned Devo I was like "...if you interview Mark Mothersbaugh, I'll damn near shit my pants."

Just a thought. hihi

I don't know if you read our most recent IndieGoGo campaign write up:

http://www.indiegogo.com/IDOW-round3

Basically, we have decided to split this project into 2 separate films. The one that we are concentrating on now is "I Dream of Wires" which will focus on the resurgence of modular synthesizers.

We will likely be saving this Pere Ubu stuff for the 2nd film, which will be like a history of early synthesizer development and use. We haven't interviewed Mothersbaugh, but we will likely pursue that for film#2.

Jason
noobyscooby
s o l v e n t wrote:

Basically, we have decided to split this project into 2 separate films. The one that we are concentrating on now is "I Dream of Wires" which will focus on the resurgence of modular synthesizers.

We will likely be saving this Pere Ubu stuff for the 2nd film, which will be like a history of early synthesizer development and use. We haven't interviewed Mothersbaugh, but we will likely pursue that for film#2.

Jason

I think this is a really good idea. The big story, the new story is about people going crazy for modular synthesizers again now in the 2000s. This cottage industry/hobby that has just exploded.

History is great but too much history may have distracted from the film's original hook/study. Also when you start trotting out historical figures one's brain naturally wanders towards wondering why certain people weren't included or why one artist figures more prominently than the other. And with the buzz off the first movie and connections being made then maybe for the second movie a few more of the prominent historical figures become available.

I like the package idea too where you have the uncut interviews availble for the diehards. If you want to see more of your favorite artist then buy the package or check out the links.
thesnow
I love this interview.

I hope that even though this is an extended interview that doesn't mean that some of it won't be included in the IDOW doc. It would be a shame if they weren't in the film. This is just too cool.
glitchpop
Yeh. I really want to hear more from them and see more interviews like this.
s o l v e n t
glitchpop wrote:
Yeh. I really want to hear more from them and see more interviews like this.

Did you notice that there is a longer cut of this piece on YouTube?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fSBYPHWka_E
analogPedagog
Watching Ravenstine playing with the ElectroComp, reminds me of why analog will always reign over digital. You just cannot get that connection happening with digital control of synthesizers. There is evidently something happening with the mind and the theoretically infinite resolution of analog. I feel it, Ravenstine obviously feels it, and countless others do too. Guinness ftw!
Peake
Outstanding, Thank You!
construct09
Just watched this again hihi love
Anyone know whats to the far right of the 400?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2