MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oceanjam experiment
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Oceanjam experiment
Mr. Sound Boy King

The experimental band I'm in, Thermometerometer, spent last Saturday doing a crazy recording at the ocean.

Dan threw a contact mic'd ball into the ocean on a long cable and processed that through some FX in the laptop.

I jammed along on a BugBrand BoardWeevil through a Line6EchoPark.

Listen here: http://www.immigrantbreastnest.com/misc/Oceanjam%20Excerpt.mp3

More information on the label website here: http://www.immigrantbreastnest.com
bar|none
Pretty creative. Funny thing is, when I clicked to listen to the track there was another electronic piece playing at the same time from an album I had been listening to and I didn't realize it. They sounded really good together. I thought it was one track.
Mr. Sound Boy King
bar|none wrote:
Pretty creative. Funny thing is, when I clicked to listen to the track there was another electronic piece playing at the same time from an album I had been listening to and I didn't realize it. They sounded really good together. I thought it was one track.

Heh. The clip really doesn't represent what we usually do at all, but it was definitely a fun experiment to undertake.

The contact mic mostly picked up the sound of the wind, which was really blowing hard, rather than the breakers like we planned...

Definitely going to give it another shot later in the summer.
bar|none
Some sort of anchor to keep the ball underwater would be ideal. Being a scuba diver, water is an incredible acoustic conductor. If the mic is solidly underwater, I bet you'd get some great stuff. Something near rocks or a reef and you'd get the breakers plus crabs and fish clicking on the rocks.

Really cool idea.
Mr. Sound Boy King
bar|none wrote:
Some sort of anchor to keep the ball underwater would be ideal. Being a scuba diver, water is an incredible acoustic conductor. If the mic is solidly underwater, I bet you'd get some great stuff. Something near rocks or a reef and you'd get the breakers plus crabs and fish clicking on the rocks.

Really cool idea.

Right on --- we were thinking of using a lobster-trap as a weight next time...

I can't wait to get back out there & give it another shot.
Kent
Scuba-Fuckin'-Diving! SlayerBadger!

W3rd.

I'm wondering if the contact mic would definitely need to be in direct contact with the inner wall of the ball if fully immersed. If it wasn't, wouldn't the surrounding air act as an insulator?

Did I Mention that I"m drunk right now? Guinness ftw!
Mr. Sound Boy King
Contact mic is on the outside of the ball, attached with a bit of duct tape... I was skeptical, but it worked quite well & picked up lots of sounds.
wyrtti
That's a great recording!

The idea is wonderful too. Any way to safely get a normal mike underwater? In a plastic bag, sealed really well? Get the sound of the surf from underwater...and motorboats passing by.

Thanks for sounds and the ideas!
scozbor
thats excellent!

we once made a junk sculpture and suspended various old farm items from it. random contact mics all over it processed through the laptop. the audience were invited to come and bash and kick the shit out of it (which they did with surprising violence!) jammed along with modular + synths. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1