MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synton 3000 Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Synton 3000 Modular
MechaSeb
After a bit of research i didn't find any thread about this modular. It looks like very rare and the only informations about it available on the net are pretty succinct (apart from dutchsynth.nl).

Does anyone have any experience having the chance to see or play with it in real ? What were your feelings about the sound etc.

I'm not looking for one but just curious about it. Rockin' Banana!
Shasta Cults
its curtis chip based.. I've seen a large system.. not overly exciting, no real interesting modules or control possibilities
ndkent
Bob Moogs Big Briar company was the US distributer in the 80s. Got a catalog way back when. The 3U size was ahead of its time. Not sure the similar form factor on all modules helps. Seems like some modules should have more pots and jacks than they gave them. Saw a decent size one but never used it. Did try a Syrinx and own a Fenix, both are really great.
chrisso
I had one module, a filter, once.
Very nice sounding.
Build quality and design seemed average, not bad, but not amazing.
Overall... a tad meh, given what is available today, especially the Fenix synths.
MechaSeb
Thanks for the input guys ! Interesting to read that was Big Briar who was the US distributer in the 80's. Also that it's curtis chip based...

@Chrisso : do you have some demo of the filter available on the net ? thumbs up

Edit: found some interesting vids on the tube (sound quality could be really better though) :



Morley
I had a module in my Buchla 300!
I have seen others and it's nice. The system was cool but needed loads of mixer modules as it seemed to lack them on individual modules.
I'd love a system but it wouldn't come close to my Fenix II/III so it would be nice but not necessary (and I certainly wouldn't pay collector prices)
Shasta Cults
yah i am sure it was interesting a decade ago before there were so many cool Euro modules available.. now it has a historical edge but its no fenix or syrinx..
doombient.music
I remember a lecture by Felix Visser at some festival in The Netherlands back in the mid-1990s, and some folks were carrying that huge flightcased Synton 3000 Modular across the lobby... I nearly lost it (I think it was the system pictured in the Vail book).

Had the chance of buying a rather comprehensive 3000 back in 1999 but the deal fell through. Not sure whether or not I missed something.

The Dr. Böhm Sound Lab is also Curtis-based, and this one sounded amazing. Very good at rather acoustic-sounding timbres, not exactly massive, nor punchy, but complex and interesting. I would dare place the Synton in a similar category.

Stephen
Noah Vail
I lost track of Felix Visser after writing about his Syrinx in 2005. This was his own personal synth:



In March 2005, Felix was working on a museum in Holland called Elektryseum. He wrote: "I'm looking for some old Synton stuff (modulars, vocoders, filter banks and other effects gear) to make another picture with me in there."

Here's an excerpt from the original draft of my Vintage Synths column on the Syrinx:

Quote:
Visser may have enjoyed his most success in scoring films, and he recalls his introduction of an EMS Synthi-A to several producers in 1973: “I was one of the first people in the Netherlands to have a synthesizer. In that period, I was doing quite a lot of scores for documentary and feature films. So when I brought this little briefcase, which maybe looked as sort of a spy instrument, over to show the film producers what you could do with it, you cannot imagine their reaction. It was like their dicks dropped on the floor. ‘My God! What’s happening here?’ That gave me an advanced position in the composition field for that particular niche.”


For some reason, Keyboard's editor at the time took exception to the statement. I was quite irritated when he changed the colorful quote to: "It was like some strange phenomenon occurred." very frustrating

My last contact with Felix was April 26, 2005. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with him now?
Morley
doombient.music wrote:
I remember a lecture by Felix Visser at some festival in The Netherlands back in the mid-1990s, and some folks were carrying that huge flightcased Synton 3000 Modular across the lobby... I nearly lost it (I think it was the system pictured in the Vail book).

Had the chance of buying a rather comprehensive 3000 back in 1999 but the deal fell through. Not sure whether or not I missed something.

The Dr. Böhm Sound Lab is also Curtis-based, and this one sounded amazing. Very good at rather acoustic-sounding timbres, not exactly massive, nor punchy, but complex and interesting. I would dare place the Synton in a similar category.

Stephen


I'd gladly take a 3000 these days!
I admit, the sound lab has always been a synth I want. Looks brilliant.
chrisso
I've always wanted a Syrinx, but can't afford the price on the super, super rare occasion one comes up.
Thighpaulsandra
I've got a panel of 3000 modules, well three 3224 BPFs, a 3015 mixer and a couple of 3025 inputs. The BPFs are great and go some way to replicating the filter setup on the Syrinx. I'm always amazed the 3000 and the Syrinx use Curtis chips.....or perhaps I'm just influenced by people who are a bit sniffy about them but they sound fantastic to me.
I played with Marc Paping's huge 3000 system when I went to pick up my Fenix in Amsterdam and although it's not as dense as a Serge or a Fenix it has a very pleasing sound quality.
I'd love to find the 3000 series keyboard controller because the Syrinx pitchbend/modulation pad is my all-time favourite. I've even considered modifying my Syrinx to get the voltages from the pad.

Thighp
Shasta Cults
I have a Dual Synton 3000 Filter here.. i think its for sale.. PM me with an offer
microtonal
Here's some data sheets on the Synton modular:

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/synton/Synton_3000.html
timmcg
I know this is an old thread but I thought I might as well add my two cents. I have a large 3000 (nine rack panels) that I bought from Bob Moog in '86. He said it was the largest one he ever sold. It is a very nice sounding unit but I agree you need a ton of mixers seeing as the VCO's only have one FM input. BTW I do have all the schematics for the unit if anyone's interested.
m0rb1d
Coolest thread revival I've seen in a while! thumbs up
sascha.victoria
Noah Vail wrote:





I currently own that Syrinx. It was for sale.
ellistronics.usa
timmcg wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I thought I might as well add my two cents. I have a large 3000 (nine rack panels) that I bought from Bob Moog in '86. He said it was the largest one he ever sold. It is a very nice sounding unit but I agree you need a ton of mixers seeing as the VCO's only have one FM input. BTW I do have all the schematics for the unit if anyone's interested.



I know this is 5 years old now but i would love these Schematics! Im working on a system now very similar in design and could really benefit from them now! thanks!
Morley
Here is my recent purchase. 8 VCO, 8 VCF, 8 EG, 10 VCA, 10 mixers and various other modules.
Lovely system. No schematics alas. I will try and find some however.

synthpriest
That IS a rare full set. Thank s for sharing this pic. Guinness ftw!
Morley
Related is the Synth College that I got in the same deal.
Morley
DomMorley
Morley wrote:
Related is the Synth College that I got in the same deal.


This is unbearably cute!
MindMachine
Morley wrote:
No schematics alas. I will try and find some however.



I wonder of Moog has any? Big Briar/Bob Moog was the USA Synton dealer back in the 80's.

Just a thought.


edit - that College unit must be near priceless due to rarity. Keep me on the bid list if you decide to sell. And a 609! Europe is where it is at.
pelican
There’s a white college on eBay right now

MindMachine wrote:
Morley wrote:
No schematics alas. I will try and find some however.



I wonder of Moog has any? Big Briar/Bob Moog was the USA Synton dealer back in the 80's.

Just a thought.


edit - that College unit must be near priceless due to rarity. Keep me on the bid list if you decide to sell. And a 609! Europe is where it is at.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group