Synton 3000 Modular

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Synton 3000 Modular

Post by MechaSeb » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:29 pm

After a bit of research i didn't find any thread about this modular. It looks like very rare and the only informations about it available on the net are pretty succinct (apart from dutchsynth.nl).

Does anyone have any experience having the chance to see or play with it in real ? What were your feelings about the sound etc.

I'm not looking for one but just curious about it. :bananaguitar:

Shasta Cults

Post by Shasta Cults » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 pm

its curtis chip based.. I've seen a large system.. not overly exciting, no real interesting modules or control possibilities

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Bob Moogs Big Briar company was the US distributer in the 80s. Got a catalog way back when. The 3U size was ahead of its time. Not sure the similar form factor on all modules helps. Seems like some modules should have more pots and jacks than they gave them. Saw a decent size one but never used it. Did try a Syrinx and own a Fenix, both are really great.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 pm

I had one module, a filter, once.
Very nice sounding.
Build quality and design seemed average, not bad, but not amazing.
Overall... a tad meh, given what is available today, especially the Fenix synths.

MechaSeb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MechaSeb » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks for the input guys ! Interesting to read that was Big Briar who was the US distributer in the 80's. Also that it's curtis chip based...

@Chrisso : do you have some demo of the filter available on the net ? :tu:

Edit: found some interesting vids on the tube (sound quality could be really better though) :

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:51 am

I had a module in my Buchla 300!
I have seen others and it's nice. The system was cool but needed loads of mixer modules as it seemed to lack them on individual modules.
I'd love a system but it wouldn't come close to my Fenix II/III so it would be nice but not necessary (and I certainly wouldn't pay collector prices)

Shasta Cults

Post by Shasta Cults » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

yah i am sure it was interesting a decade ago before there were so many cool Euro modules available.. now it has a historical edge but its no fenix or syrinx..

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:47 pm

I remember a lecture by Felix Visser at some festival in The Netherlands back in the mid-1990s, and some folks were carrying that huge flightcased Synton 3000 Modular across the lobby... I nearly lost it (I think it was the system pictured in the Vail book).

Had the chance of buying a rather comprehensive 3000 back in 1999 but the deal fell through. Not sure whether or not I missed something.

The Dr. Böhm Sound Lab is also Curtis-based, and this one sounded amazing. Very good at rather acoustic-sounding timbres, not exactly massive, nor punchy, but complex and interesting. I would dare place the Synton in a similar category.

Stephen

Noah Vail
more vintage than you

Post by Noah Vail » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:08 am

I lost track of Felix Visser after writing about his Syrinx in 2005. This was his own personal synth:

In March 2005, Felix was working on a museum in Holland called Elektryseum. He wrote: "I'm looking for some old Synton stuff (modulars, vocoders, filter banks and other effects gear) to make another picture with me in there."

Here's an excerpt from the original draft of my Vintage Synths column on the Syrinx:
Visser may have enjoyed his most success in scoring films, and he recalls his introduction of an EMS Synthi-A to several producers in 1973: “I was one of the first people in the Netherlands to have a synthesizer. In that period, I was doing quite a lot of scores for documentary and feature films. So when I brought this little briefcase, which maybe looked as sort of a spy instrument, over to show the film producers what you could do with it, you cannot imagine their reaction. It was like their dicks dropped on the floor. ‘My God! What’s happening here?’ That gave me an advanced position in the composition field for that particular niche.”
For some reason, Keyboard's editor at the time took exception to the statement. I was quite irritated when he changed the colorful quote to: "It was like some strange phenomenon occurred." :bang:

My last contact with Felix was April 26, 2005. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with him now?

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 am

doombient.music wrote:I remember a lecture by Felix Visser at some festival in The Netherlands back in the mid-1990s, and some folks were carrying that huge flightcased Synton 3000 Modular across the lobby... I nearly lost it (I think it was the system pictured in the Vail book).

Had the chance of buying a rather comprehensive 3000 back in 1999 but the deal fell through. Not sure whether or not I missed something.

The Dr. Böhm Sound Lab is also Curtis-based, and this one sounded amazing. Very good at rather acoustic-sounding timbres, not exactly massive, nor punchy, but complex and interesting. I would dare place the Synton in a similar category.

Stephen
I'd gladly take a 3000 these days!
I admit, the sound lab has always been a synth I want. Looks brilliant.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:18 pm

I've always wanted a Syrinx, but can't afford the price on the super, super rare occasion one comes up.

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:42 pm

I've got a panel of 3000 modules, well three 3224 BPFs, a 3015 mixer and a couple of 3025 inputs. The BPFs are great and go some way to replicating the filter setup on the Syrinx. I'm always amazed the 3000 and the Syrinx use Curtis chips.....or perhaps I'm just influenced by people who are a bit sniffy about them but they sound fantastic to me.
I played with Marc Paping's huge 3000 system when I went to pick up my Fenix in Amsterdam and although it's not as dense as a Serge or a Fenix it has a very pleasing sound quality.
I'd love to find the 3000 series keyboard controller because the Syrinx pitchbend/modulation pad is my all-time favourite. I've even considered modifying my Syrinx to get the voltages from the pad.

Thighp

Shasta Cults

Post by Shasta Cults » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a Dual Synton 3000 Filter here.. i think its for sale.. PM me with an offer

microtonal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by microtonal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Here's some data sheets on the Synton modular:

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/synton/Synton_3000.html

timmcg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by timmcg » Mon May 19, 2014 6:41 pm

I know this is an old thread but I thought I might as well add my two cents. I have a large 3000 (nine rack panels) that I bought from Bob Moog in '86. He said it was the largest one he ever sold. It is a very nice sounding unit but I agree you need a ton of mixers seeing as the VCO's only have one FM input. BTW I do have all the schematics for the unit if anyone's interested.
System You Need Tweak Heavily, Electronic Signals, Interconnected Zones, Endless Results

http://www.timothymcguinness.com/

https://soundcloud.com/timothy-mcguinness/

https://vimeo.com/timothymcguinness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPdHO2og8k

(=º.º=)

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Tue May 20, 2014 11:56 am

Coolest thread revival I've seen in a while! :tu:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am

Noah Vail wrote: Image
I currently own that Syrinx. It was for sale.
wtb: silence

ellistronics.usa
Learning to Wiggle

Schematics Please!

Post by ellistronics.usa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:14 pm

timmcg wrote:I know this is an old thread but I thought I might as well add my two cents. I have a large 3000 (nine rack panels) that I bought from Bob Moog in '86. He said it was the largest one he ever sold. It is a very nice sounding unit but I agree you need a ton of mixers seeing as the VCO's only have one FM input. BTW I do have all the schematics for the unit if anyone's interested.

I know this is 5 years old now but i would love these Schematics! Im working on a system now very similar in design and could really benefit from them now! thanks!

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 am

Here is my recent purchase. 8 VCO, 8 VCF, 8 EG, 10 VCA, 10 mixers and various other modules.
Lovely system. No schematics alas. I will try and find some however.

synthpriest
Common Wiggler

Post by synthpriest » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:30 am

That IS a rare full set. Thank s for sharing this pic. :guinness:

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:44 am

Related is the Synth College that I got in the same deal.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm

[video][/video]

DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DomMorley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Morley wrote:Related is the Synth College that I got in the same deal.
This is unbearably cute!
How I fill my days: www.dommorley.com

"Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it..."

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 am

Morley wrote: No schematics alas. I will try and find some however.

I wonder of Moog has any? Big Briar/Bob Moog was the USA Synton dealer back in the 80's.

Just a thought.

edit - that College unit must be near priceless due to rarity. Keep me on the bid list if you decide to sell. And a 609! Europe is where it is at.

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:58 am

There’s a white college on eBay right now
MindMachine wrote:
Morley wrote: No schematics alas. I will try and find some however.

I wonder of Moog has any? Big Briar/Bob Moog was the USA Synton dealer back in the 80's.

Just a thought.

edit - that College unit must be near priceless due to rarity. Keep me on the bid list if you decide to sell. And a 609! Europe is where it is at.
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”