MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

lotsa little refinements
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author lotsa little refinements
Muff Wiggler
- you can now search the memberlist

-non logged in users can no longer use search features, nor view member profiles or memberlist, or avatar images, nor view uploaded attachments.

-last visit added to user profile, memberlist and postings in threadview

-jump to any page in really long threads

-image uploaders now force 1024x1024 or smaller so threads don't get too wide

-'search topic titles only' added to advanced search

-'search within this subforum' added in subforum indexes

-slim mobile site for handheld users www.muffwiggler.com/mobile/

-latest active topics list increased from 15 to 20

-twice the storage space for your Private Messages

-you can reorder threads to be backwards if you want

-new features to help admins kill spammers and spam postings more quickly & easily

-geographic IP lookup tools to help admins and moderators determine location of posters with more accuracy

-finer control over per-user available features and functionality

edit: new stuff added on May 31:

-view entire thread on one page

-'highlighted' appearance for sticky & announcements topics

-view unanswered posts now available in each subforum, as well as at the main index

-showing of avatars now only for logged-in users

-only logged-in users can view uploaded attachments

-new smilies (includes 2 awesome wogglebug ones!)

-email notification of replies now includes the text of the reply within the email that is sent!!!!

-awesome new super-failsafe backup procedure

-general performance enhancements across the whole system

-collapsable forum index remembers your settings!

-upload picture now available on quick reply form!! woo!!

edit: new stuff added on June 20:

-you can now choose "View your watched posts" from the handy links in the upper-right of the main index page

-number of group members now shown in usergroup overview pages

-user's avatar image in viewtopic threadview is now a link to their profile

-You can now choose to hide/show Avatar images and Signature text on a per-user basis.

-Usergroups are now "truly" open - no need for a moderator to approve your membership, simply click to join!

-you can now send a message to ALL members of a usergroup. Go to your PM's Inbox, beside the "Post Message" button is a new button for "Post PM to usergroup members". Press it, choose the usergroup, type your message and press send - they will all get it!
Muff Wiggler
ok i finished all the other ones, so I just added them to the above list.
Kent
Jesus Christ! You've been one busy mofo! Thanks for all the work, dedication and maintenance, dude! w00t
sandyb
Kent wrote:
Jesus Christ! You've been one busy mofo! Thanks for all the work, dedication and maintenance, dude! w00t

+1 on that. thanks muff!
Cybananna
Damn, where's the kitchen sink? You've got everything else.

SlayerBadger!

can't wait to check out the mobile site!

Thanks!

Guinness ftw!
flippantminister
wow, muff! you rule! thanks so much!
Muff Wiggler
thanks guys

-'highlighted' appearance for sticky & announcements topics - DONE

that one's done now, hope you like it - i do
Muff Wiggler
one more done:

view entire thread on one page - DONE

in subforum view, if a thread is paginated, you'll see a '#' symbol after the final page number - this will bring you to an "all posts on one page" view. Warning - for HUGE threads this may take a long time or it may crash your shitty browser.

In viewtopic view, if you have paginated threads you'll see an [all] link beside the page links....same deal

enjoi
SingleCell
Muff Wiggler wrote:
thanks guys

-'highlighted' appearance for sticky & announcements topics - DONE

that one's done now, hope you like it - i do

I like it!
wetterberg
Muff Wiggler wrote:
one more done:

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

coul it be setup so that when arriving from an "email link" that we see the entire thread on one page, too? A tick box in preferences? I'd love that. Either way-; kick-ass.
Muff Wiggler
wetterberg wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:
one more done:

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

coul it be setup so that when arriving from an "email link" that we see the entire thread on one page, too? A tick box in preferences? I'd love that. Either way-; kick-ass.

i thought about that, but the one-thread thing causes a bit of a performance hit at the server when it's processing (on large threads) so I don't want to make it standard or default behaviour

sorry!
SynthBaron
I wish this forum was running on the SMF code (http://www.simplemachines.org/), but otherwise no complaints.

Mr. Green
Muff Wiggler
SynthBaron wrote:
I wish this forum was running on the SMF code (http://www.simplemachines.org/), but otherwise no complaints.

Mr. Green

interesting, never heard of it before.

looks like a phpBB clone really - and phpBB benefits from IMMENSE community support, many, many eyes on the open source code improving and bugfixing things at an incredible rate

plus it is both mature enough and widely-deployed enough that all the major issues have been sorted out by this point

but, i'll admit, I don't know anything about SMF. Why do you wish this forum was running on that instead of phpBB?
fonik
Muff Wiggler wrote:
-view entire thread on one page - DONE

w00t
that's a really great improvement - in todays world of fast broadband connections this is just great - for me at least.
SynthBaron
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Why do you wish this forum was running on that instead of phpBB?

I like default features and forum layout better, that's all. I've been running it for years now on different forums, it's pretty darn stable. Plenty of community code out there available as add ons. But probably not as much as PHPBB.
Doug Wellington
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Why do you wish this forum was running on that instead of phpBB?

There's a fundamental difference in the way I interact with PHPBB vs. SMF - PHPBB only shows new posts since the last time you logged in - effectively it marks everything as read whether you looked at them or not. SMF doesn't mark things as read until you actually read them.

Put a different way, I can come back later with SMF and easily find old threads that I haven't read yet...
Muff Wiggler
cool, thanks Baron & Doug, good to know!

Although, it's far too late to change the platform now, sorry!

If it helps, I added some wogglebug smilies....

Woggle Bug!

Woggle Bug

I hope that makes up for it hyper
Doug Wellington
Muff Wiggler wrote:

It's just so obvious that you don't care about your readers at all!

(hides) we're not worthy
JohnLRice
Thanks for all the hard work, Muff! w00t hyper
Muff Wiggler
Doug Wellington wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:

It's just so obvious that you don't care about your readers at all!

(hides) we're not worthy

i know, screw you guys mad Dinner at the Y
Muff Wiggler
- view unanswered posts now available in each subforum, as well as at the main index
Muff Wiggler
- showing of avatars now only for logged-in users
Muff Wiggler
-email notification of replies now includes the text of the reply within the email that is sent!
JohnLRice
Hey Muff,

Just thinking in type here and you've already gone way beyond the call of voluntary duty we're not worthy but on the issue of email notice links taking a person to the first unread post . . .

. . how about a compromize? Like, for this thread the email contains this link which puts me at the first post in the thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5471#69041

But why not just send the "view latest post" link instead?:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69045#69045

And, if you want to get fancier I think you could get each user closer to the last unread post if posts had post numbers (are they hidden here or just don't exist?) So when the notice email is generated a link could be created that contains the latest posted post and that should put the user close to where they need to be and you wouldn't need some sort of nightmare database to keep track of what they have read.

And, if you have better things to do, never mind! Mr. Green Lotsa Love
Muff Wiggler
i know, seriously, like i said, i *will* get around to fixing this

but, it's not as simple as one would think it is

it's probably going to be a couple of days before I get a chance to fix it, because fixing that causes a bit of a chain reaction I need to work backwards through updating stuff to prevent any issues

but, I'm very aware that lots of people are unhappy about this problem and I promise you I will get it fixed

for real

thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2