MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Serge style ASR and VCS for Euro!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author New Serge style ASR and VCS for Euro!
widgetoz
7.5cm
exper
Too bad, I don't think it would fit my case.
craque
yeah didn't realize these were so deep myself, they'll have to wait for the 9U construction to start...
dropthedyle
Does someone have an audio demo of that ASR?
I'm still confused about its functionality...
Is it correct to say that the CV in is passed from out 1 to 2 and 3 depending of the clock in ??? seriously, i just don't get it mmmm... that's the description of a switch! hmmm.....
Rigo
dropthedyle wrote:
Does someone have an audio demo of that ASR?
I'm still confused about its functionality...
Is it correct to say that the CV in is passed from out 1 to 2 and 3 depending of the clock in ??? seriously, i just don't get it mmmm... that's the description of a switch! hmmm.....

A switch wouldn't keep the voltage ... it's more a triple sample and hold. Input is sampled and put at output 1, next clock cycle output 1 is moved to output 2 and output 1 gets a new value from the input. Next cycle 2->3, 1->2 and input->1 ...
dropthedyle
thanks Rigo! Now that's clear!

thumbs up
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
otherunicorn wrote:
pulse_divider wrote:
If that's the same CGS ASR that I have from Metalbox in frac format, it droops like a motherfucker and is useless for pitch

Did you bother to contact Metalbox about it? You certainly didn't contact me.
It is a circuit that depends very much on the parts used. There is one type of caps that are guaranteed to fail. Personally, I have built a dozen of the things, and they ALL worked fine within reasonable limits. If you are expecting it to hold voltages for several minutes, you are dreaming. That is not it's purpose. None the less, I have had respected DIYers claiming their builds were as stable as the MOTM Sample and Hold. I've had the very occasional person who can't get it right make a lot of complaints to the public - but again not to me. You'd think that I would be the first person they asked.
I have sold hundreds of the thing, and there are only a handful of people who have complained. Each time dozens of others jumped to the design's defense, so I guess there must be other people who have successfully built them. As for the few failures I know about, only one contacted me about it, and it was built using the capacitors I mentioned above, which is how I know about them.
I discontinued it a couple years ago because of the suggested new design that came up during one of the online discussions, but people kept demanding I release it again, so there you have it. Laurie's new release the CGS734 is the NEW design I intended to replace my old CGS34 with, and is based on the experiments of one of the members here Dr. Sketch-n-Etch. It is a new design using a new set of chips. It is no longer restricted by the inadequacies of the 4052 chip, instead using a chip that can work directly across the voltage range. As such, none of the compression/decompression is needed in the new design, and that alone halves any possible droop rate, and removes several sources for possible inaccuracy. More modern op-amps are also used, so you don't have differences between the individual 3140 causing offsets.

The old thread discussing the new design is here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12080&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&highlight=asr&start=0

I hope that clears it all up.

Necrothread bump. I just learned about the Elby version of this today (27 April 2018). As Ken mentioned, I redesigned his ASR using DG409 quite a few years ago. It wasn't really an "experiment" per se -- I've built and sold dozens of these things, from bare PCBs to complete custom modules -- in both 5U and eurorack (including duals and one quad unit). It has easily been my top seller out of all my "Doc Sketchy" style PCBs. In fact, I just received payment for a dual 5U ASR this morning from a wiggler in Edmonton.

My ASR builds are a bit more "full-featured" than the Elby one. I have added "Shift/Bypass" switches to each output, an attenuator on the input (very useful), and a "Load/Loop" switch which switches from normal operation to the three outputs looping over and over -- it sounds dumb, but it's really fun to use. I can attest that the new design droops very little. I use LF444 for the buffers (or TL064, because I bought a bum batch of LF444s and had to make do), and 0.1uF film capacitors for the S&H circuit. Even in loop mode, the module will not droop much for many many looping cycles. Also, my layout requires no calibration. I'm not sure what the calibration is for, except maybe to adjust around the voltage offset of the buffers (?) which should be very small (about 3mV max if TL064 or LF444 is used) -- nobody is going to notice that!

EDIT: I went back and reread that old thread, and apparently I did know about the Elby one. Again, my porous brain leaked that memory out. In any case, I just built a euro-format ASR for a fellow in Australia, so maybe he didn't realize that the Elby one was available. Mine is a big old monstrosity about 5 inches deep! (Look in the DIY builds thread if you're curious about it.)
oootini
hi, just wondering if anyone has successfully calibrated a CGS734 to be able to do musically "in tune" canon style melodies?

The documentation on this module recommends a voltmeter with 4 decimal points. I have that reads to 3 decimal points. I want to confirm that this module can be calibrated for musically in tune tuning before hunting a better volt meter...

Thanks!
BananaPlug
Quote:
confirm that this module can be calibrated for musically in tune
I'm not using ASRs these days but when I did use old saggy ones putting a quantizer after the ASR took care of it. Tune the oscillators after patching the ASR and quantizer. In order to tolerate the most droop, tune to just below a quantizer threshold.
oootini
BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
confirm that this module can be calibrated for musically in tune
I'm not using ASRs these days but when I did use old saggy ones putting a quantizer after the ASR took care of it. Tune the oscillators after patching the ASR and quantizer. In order to tolerate the most droop, tune to just below a quantizer threshold.

i have a single channel quantizer though. are you suggesting i would need a separate channel of quantiziation for each channel of the ASR output?
BananaPlug
I'm saying put quantizer at the output of the ASR.
oootini
Ok thank you. That’s a bummer then :(
BananaPlug
Oh sorry. For some reason (lack of coffee?) I was looking at it backwards as if the patch ends up with one CV. Never mind.
oootini
Lol OK. I’ll wait till someone who has actually used the module chimes in I think Dead Banana
authorless
oootini wrote:
Lol OK. I’ll wait till someone who has actually used the module chimes in I think Dead Banana

I have both the Elby/CGS and the Plan B ASRs. My experience is:

The Elby holds the voltage better but has a small amount of fluctuation in the sampled voltage. So if I have a steady voltage on the input and clock it with a steady pulse, then feed one stage out to a 1v/oct input on an oscillator, there is a small change in pitch with each pulse. Cents, not semitones. It will hold that voltage pretty well for a good bit of time though.

The Plan B samples the voltages more accurately, but begins drooping after 20 seconds or so. Same set up with a steady pulse gives nearly identical values each time. I say "nearly identical because I doubt each sample is the same exact voltage though I haven't measured it, but any variation is imperceptible to me. You do start getting droop a lot sooner than the Elby.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4