MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Designing PCBs is hard
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Designing PCBs is hard
goom
I haven't read the whole thread , but it also looks like the two caps above IC4 are too close the IC. The caps will not fit there if they're on the same side of the board.
Tombola
@goom - those electrolytics are on the other side of the board, because they'd be too tall to fit behind the panel otherwise - same with the 4015s, because they'll be in sockets - I've had trouble with them in this circuit - some work, others don't.
Jarno
I think routing a PCB is fun, on top of this, I can do it on the couching sitting next to the wife. This helps to both fulfill my social obligation AND get some "work" done at the same time Mr. Green

But since I make my own PCB's and haven't tried double sided ones (yet), I am limited to single sided. Those can be a bit of a bitch to layout without having to resort to a ton of jumpers, especially with SMT parts where you often can't run traces between pads (I try to use widely spaced thick traces because I use toner transfer). Although mixing SMT and TH helps to step over traces.
lazerkind
I like PCB routing as well, it is like solving a puzzle or cross word.
Frustrating as hell here and there but very rewarding when you are done thumbs up
sonicwarrior
frijitz wrote:
noise bypassing

Like the noise from electrolytics e.g. in a PSU design?

Btw. AFAIK this layout is noisy because of the electrolytics, right?

C2 looks OK, but C1 shouldn't have a shorter connection to COM than to CT.
Fix would therefore be to isolate the ground around C1 and make a bridge to the ground around C2 somehow if I got it correctly.
nickciontea

first board since college. first with eagle, laid manually.
thanks to the people who walked me through all my questions

could be better but I feel good![/img]
Tombola
nickciontea wrote:

could be better but I feel good!

applause
JRock
Here's the one I did today thumbs up

w00t
SOFTWIRE
the last pcb i just finished has 753 components and 2615 pins. hand routed in 2 months or so. i wouldnt ever touch the auto router though.... also i swore alot while making it

falafelbiels
SOFTWIRE wrote:
the last pcb i just finished has 753 components and 2615 pins. hand routed in 2 months or so. i wouldnt ever touch the auto router though.... also i swore alot while making it

SHIT, I get confused by routing my 10x2 cm PCB layouts and here you are building a time travel machine!
Chrome Dinette
Yeah, keep at it, it gets easier, though I don't udually do things as complicated as the example in this thread(I'm doing guitar pedals).

I will use the Eagle autorouter, but always have to move stuff around afterwards. Orienting the components on the board correctly is half the battle.
iopop
sonicwarrior: That's quite interesting, since the PSU in question is specially made for pro DIY audio. hmmm.....

On the other hand that PCB is among the cheapest PSUs ($8 incl shipping?) Ive ever found and its easy to build.
det3
Autorouters have their place, sure. I can reliably say that any analog audio design I have done has never been autorouted. However, there are designs like this:

that require the use of an autorouter. That's an entire computer on a 2.25 x 0.825 inch PCB. Ten layers and about seven thousand routes.

Even on that design, I used the autorouter sparingly. I'd route small groups of wires that needed to be the same length or have similar constraints then manually clean them up. Route, rinse, repeat. This is using a REALLY good autorouter too (The successor to SPECCTRA). Once you develop enough technique, you can route quickly and effectively while producing hugely superior boards to autorouted designs anytime.

I also can't emphasize enough that placement is 85% of layout. You need to move everything around to optimize and minimize the trace length while achieving overall design goals.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2