KOMA KOMMANDER update

Discussion and support for KOMA Elektronik effects pedals, eurorack gear and all the other stuff we do...

Moderators: Kent, osterchrisi

tektoktiktak
Common Wiggler

KOMA KOMMANDER update

Post by tektoktiktak » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 am

Next week, during Musikmesse, the public has his first chance to play with our new product the KOMMANDER!

[video][/video]

Kommand & Konquer

The KOMMANDER is a handheld dual infrared X-Y motion controller that makes controlling your instruments intuitive and fun. The device measures the distance to your hand or any other surface and sends out corresponding CV signals between 0 and 8 volts. The closer you have your hand to the KOMMANDER, the higher the output voltage. This will allow you to create weird synth sounds, trigger a drum machine, control effect pedals or any other instrument that is capable of receiving CV signals.

Because of our innovative circuit design there is no interference from sunlight or stage light, so the musician can use it wherever she or he wants. Just plug the KOMMANDER into your Eurorack Modular System, Buchla, Moog, Roland or any other synthesizer and create.

SPECS:

* 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)
- 2 x Gate Out (adjustable threshold)

* 2 IR sensors with optical crosstalk
* Sensing range trimmer on the inside
* 9V DC input
* Great Black Metal design!

Availability and pricing:

The KOMMANDER will be available at http://www.koma-elektronik.com or at KOMA Elektronik Dealers worldwide from April 2012 for approximately 59.00 EUR / 75.00 USD (incl. VAT).

Till the last moment we have to say the following:
Technical specifications and pricing are still subject to change as this product is still under development.

For what would you guys use the KOMMANDER?
http://www.koma-elektronik.com

~
~
.---.
`---'=.
| | |
| |='
`---'

therk
Common Wiggler

Post by therk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Looks like loads of fun - great price too!

hiawog
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hiawog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 pm

koma koma koma koma koma chameleon

DanielW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DanielW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:53 pm

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :party:

sensanalog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sensanalog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 pm

This looks like so much fun. I could see myself laughing at my system while playing this. Now, that's what I call rewarding. :party: :party:

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Gate out!

I had no idea you guys were putting gate as well as CV on this thing, i was seriously stoked about the release of this, now with gate out its gone next level.

:tu:

I have my first patch idea in mind, its going to be great!
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 am

These look awesome, and at a great price!

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 am

Visually stunning! Congrats!

tektoktiktak
Common Wiggler

Post by tektoktiktak » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

When we were at NAMM, we shot a little clip of the KOMMANDER:

[video][/video]

We just uploaded it so you have an impression, more extensive demo's come soon!
http://www.koma-elektronik.com

~
~
.---.
`---'=.
| | |
| |='
`---'

osterchrisi
Common Wiggler

Post by osterchrisi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 am

hiawog wrote:koma koma koma koma koma chameleon
Haha, yeah! You wouldn't believe how many times a sing that during a week :hihi:

z3r01
The Mighty Souls

Post by z3r01 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:02 am

Can't wait to get my hands on this (pun intended :razz: ), can imagine the patches and hours of fun I'll get out of this. :tu:

DanielW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DanielW » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 am

I asked earlier, would you be able to make a kustom Kommander (obscure Kenneth Anger reference) with banana jacks and an extra grounding outlet?

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 pm

.^ :banana:
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

osterchrisi
Common Wiggler

Post by osterchrisi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:31 pm

DanielW wrote:I asked earlier, would you be able to make a kustom Kommander (obscure Kenneth Anger reference) with banana jacks and an extra grounding outlet?
I'm not 100% sure, I would have to check available banana jacks. The 3.5mm jacks on the Kommander have a super small footprint but are of amazing quality, that's why I was able to fit four of them into the Kommander and used them. Since they are PCB mount as well it would be pretty tricky to fit 4 banana jacks in the same space as the 4 3.5mm jacks. Maybe it would be possible with the small bananas (what was it again, 2.6mm?)... Right now I'm putting together all the hardware necessary for the first production run, so as soon as I see that everything works out spacewise I could check exactly on how a banana jack Kommander would be possible.

To sum that up: I can't tell you right now but I'll keep it in my head and as soon as I have enough information gathered I will let you know in this thread. I have to do some research first. That's everything I can do for now!

nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid

Post by nrdvrgr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:05 am

Count me in for a banana version also if it happens!
-Extendunt barbam tuam, et velo-

BUY/LISTEN: http://nordvargr.bandcamp.com
VIDEO: http://vimeo.com/nrdvrgr

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:10 am

Black metal design! Full of awesome! I'm totally snagging one. tektoktiktak
Thanks for the video. What was that mpc looking thing in the case at the far right bottom?

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:43 am

Me wanna some banana, too!
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:47 am

weinglas wrote:Me wanna some banana, too!
But no mini bananas!
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

rechner7
Common Wiggler

Re: KOMA KOMMANDER update

Post by rechner7 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:36 am

tektoktiktak wrote: * 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

really nice concept, thanks a lot! i think for the ultimate live experience one could add some additional functions. in my opinion it would be very appreciable if some features could be included directly in the pedal design (maybe in a bigger version of the kommander).
i'd love to see following features included in the 'big brother':

* variable gate threshold for each unit (please no internal trim)
* slew with separated rise and fall times for each unit
* switch for selecting between 'track and hold', 'off/track', 'sample and hold'. the t&h or s&h is triggered by the opposite unit mutually
* t&h and s&h design with very slow voltage drift-times (i.e. a held voltage should not drop without a resampling)

this concept would allow freezings of the cv and a lots of interactions of both kommander units. should be a really performably controller for every cv-gate synth... i would definitely buy such a unit! :D

cheers,
r7

DanielW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DanielW » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:55 pm

rechner7 wrote:
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

really nice concept, thanks a lot! i think for the ultimate live experience one could add some additional functions. in my opinion it would be very appreciable if some features could be included directly in the pedal design (maybe in a bigger version of the kommander).

* switch for selecting between 'track and hold', 'off/track', 'sample and hold'. the t&h or s&h is triggered by the opposite unit mutually
* t&h and s&h design with very slow voltage drift-times (i.e. a held voltage should not drop without a resampling)

this concept would allow freezings of the cv and a lots of interactions of both kommander units. should be a really performably controller for every cv-gate synth... i would definitely buy such a unit! :D

cheers,
r7
Most of that could be done with modules I'm sure . Better keep the device simple and small.

rechner7
Common Wiggler

Post by rechner7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:10 am

exactly - but it's question of personal taste: i prefer more autonomic devices with a higher integration of functionality as seen in buchla systems. in the case of the kommander, the unit would especially gain a lot of perfomability&flexibility in combination with *all* kind of cv/gate synths beyond the euro-world (bearing in mind that one could use the kommander while the modular is not at one's fingertips). beside this aspect, one would additionally safe a fair amount of modular periphery (sport modulator, dual bissel etc pp)...

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:27 am

rechner7 wrote:
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

cheers,
r7
I'd be into all this in a future Uber Kommander too. No doubt I'll buy a Kommander anyway but to be really useful these kind of things need a bunch of other things to control the output so the idea of building that all in from the start is very practical and appealing
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

osterchrisi
Common Wiggler

Post by osterchrisi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am

richard wrote:
rechner7 wrote:
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

cheers,
r7
I'd be into all this in a future Uber Kommander too. No doubt I'll buy a Kommander anyway but to be really useful these kind of things need a bunch of other things to control the output so the idea of building that all in from the start is very practical and appealing
Yeah, stuff like that is definitely the dilemma I see myself everytime when designing new tools. It's always a compromise between features, usability and mechanical construction - at the very least.
The Kommander for now should be a ready-to-use, plug'n'play device that everyone understands in less than a minute and that makes a lot of fun for the little price. For the first run I believe we will make that happen.

Btw: Tomorrow the first printed and drilled enclosures as well as the pre-production PCBs will come in so if we are lucky, it's not long anymore!! :yay:

rechner7
Common Wiggler

Post by rechner7 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am

thx - i am really looking forward the kommander, it's a small and nifty tool. i just wanted to give some ideas for further koma-tools - i hope there are many of them in future!

does the kommander run with the (quasi-)standard 9v boss style connector?

osterchrisi
Common Wiggler

Post by osterchrisi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 am

rechner7 wrote:thx - i am really looking forward the kommander, it's a small and nifty tool. i just wanted to give some ideas for further koma-tools - i hope there are many of them in future!

does the kommander run with the (quasi-)standard 9v boss style connector?
Ideas and suggestions are always welcome!
Plus: Yes, the Kommander runs on the standard 9V boss style adapter, you only have to provide at least 500mA because those infrared LEDs eat a looooot of current - some of them you can drive with up to 150mA! :woah:

Return to “KOMA Elektronik”