MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KOMA KOMMANDER update
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author KOMA KOMMANDER update
tektoktiktak
Next week, during Musikmesse, the public has his first chance to play with our new product the KOMMANDER!

Kommand & Konquer

The KOMMANDER is a handheld dual infrared X-Y motion controller that makes controlling your instruments intuitive and fun. The device measures the distance to your hand or any other surface and sends out corresponding CV signals between 0 and 8 volts. The closer you have your hand to the KOMMANDER, the higher the output voltage. This will allow you to create weird synth sounds, trigger a drum machine, control effect pedals or any other instrument that is capable of receiving CV signals.

Because of our innovative circuit design there is no interference from sunlight or stage light, so the musician can use it wherever she or he wants. Just plug the KOMMANDER into your Eurorack Modular System, Buchla, Moog, Roland or any other synthesizer and create.

SPECS:

* 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)
- 2 x Gate Out (adjustable threshold)

* 2 IR sensors with optical crosstalk
* Sensing range trimmer on the inside
* 9V DC input
* Great Black Metal design!

Availability and pricing:

The KOMMANDER will be available at http://www.koma-elektronik.com or at KOMA Elektronik Dealers worldwide from April 2012 for approximately 59.00 EUR / 75.00 USD (incl. VAT).

Till the last moment we have to say the following:
Technical specifications and pricing are still subject to change as this product is still under development.

For what would you guys use the KOMMANDER?
therk
Looks like loads of fun - great price too!
hiawog
koma koma koma koma koma chameleon
DanielW
nanners nanners nanners nanners w00t
sensanalog
This looks like so much fun. I could see myself laughing at my system while playing this. Now, that's what I call rewarding. w00t w00t
dan_p
Gate out!

I had no idea you guys were putting gate as well as CV on this thing, i was seriously stoked about the release of this, now with gate out its gone next level.

thumbs up

I have my first patch idea in mind, its going to be great!
dan_k
These look awesome, and at a great price!
Bricks
Visually stunning! Congrats!
tektoktiktak
When we were at NAMM, we shot a little clip of the KOMMANDER:

We just uploaded it so you have an impression, more extensive demo's come soon!
osterchrisi
hiawog wrote:
koma koma koma koma koma chameleon

Haha, yeah! You wouldn't believe how many times a sing that during a week hihi
z3r01
Can't wait to get my hands on this (pun intended razz ), can imagine the patches and hours of fun I'll get out of this. thumbs up
DanielW
I asked earlier, would you be able to make a kustom Kommander (obscure Kenneth Anger reference) with banana jacks and an extra grounding outlet?
dan_p
.^ It's peanut butter jelly time!
osterchrisi
DanielW wrote:
I asked earlier, would you be able to make a kustom Kommander (obscure Kenneth Anger reference) with banana jacks and an extra grounding outlet?

I'm not 100% sure, I would have to check available banana jacks. The 3.5mm jacks on the Kommander have a super small footprint but are of amazing quality, that's why I was able to fit four of them into the Kommander and used them. Since they are PCB mount as well it would be pretty tricky to fit 4 banana jacks in the same space as the 4 3.5mm jacks. Maybe it would be possible with the small bananas (what was it again, 2.6mm?)... Right now I'm putting together all the hardware necessary for the first production run, so as soon as I see that everything works out spacewise I could check exactly on how a banana jack Kommander would be possible.

To sum that up: I can't tell you right now but I'll keep it in my head and as soon as I have enough information gathered I will let you know in this thread. I have to do some research first. That's everything I can do for now!
nrdvrgr
Count me in for a banana version also if it happens!
Matos
Black metal design! Full of awesome! I'm totally snagging one. tektoktiktak
Thanks for the video. What was that mpc looking thing in the case at the far right bottom?
weinglas
Me wanna some banana, too!
weinglas
weinglas wrote:
Me wanna some banana, too!

But no mini bananas!
rechner7
tektoktiktak wrote:

* 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

really nice concept, thanks a lot! i think for the ultimate live experience one could add some additional functions. in my opinion it would be very appreciable if some features could be included directly in the pedal design (maybe in a bigger version of the kommander).
i'd love to see following features included in the 'big brother':

* variable gate threshold for each unit (please no internal trim)
* slew with separated rise and fall times for each unit
* switch for selecting between 'track and hold', 'off/track', 'sample and hold'. the t&h or s&h is triggered by the opposite unit mutually
* t&h and s&h design with very slow voltage drift-times (i.e. a held voltage should not drop without a resampling)

this concept would allow freezings of the cv and a lots of interactions of both kommander units. should be a really performably controller for every cv-gate synth... i would definitely buy such a unit! grin

cheers,
r7
DanielW
rechner7 wrote:
tektoktiktak wrote:

* 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

really nice concept, thanks a lot! i think for the ultimate live experience one could add some additional functions. in my opinion it would be very appreciable if some features could be included directly in the pedal design (maybe in a bigger version of the kommander).

* switch for selecting between 'track and hold', 'off/track', 'sample and hold'. the t&h or s&h is triggered by the opposite unit mutually
* t&h and s&h design with very slow voltage drift-times (i.e. a held voltage should not drop without a resampling)

this concept would allow freezings of the cv and a lots of interactions of both kommander units. should be a really performably controller for every cv-gate synth... i would definitely buy such a unit! grin

cheers,
r7

Most of that could be done with modules I'm sure . Better keep the device simple and small.
rechner7
exactly - but it's question of personal taste: i prefer more autonomic devices with a higher integration of functionality as seen in buchla systems. in the case of the kommander, the unit would especially gain a lot of perfomability&flexibility in combination with *all* kind of cv/gate synths beyond the euro-world (bearing in mind that one could use the kommander while the modular is not at one's fingertips). beside this aspect, one would additionally safe a fair amount of modular periphery (sport modulator, dual bissel etc pp)...
richard
rechner7 wrote:
tektoktiktak wrote:

* 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

cheers,
r7

I'd be into all this in a future Uber Kommander too. No doubt I'll buy a Kommander anyway but to be really useful these kind of things need a bunch of other things to control the output so the idea of building that all in from the start is very practical and appealing
osterchrisi
richard wrote:
rechner7 wrote:
tektoktiktak wrote:

* 4 CV outputs
- 2 x CV (0-8 volts)

cheers,
r7

I'd be into all this in a future Uber Kommander too. No doubt I'll buy a Kommander anyway but to be really useful these kind of things need a bunch of other things to control the output so the idea of building that all in from the start is very practical and appealing

Yeah, stuff like that is definitely the dilemma I see myself everytime when designing new tools. It's always a compromise between features, usability and mechanical construction - at the very least.
The Kommander for now should be a ready-to-use, plug'n'play device that everyone understands in less than a minute and that makes a lot of fun for the little price. For the first run I believe we will make that happen.

Btw: Tomorrow the first printed and drilled enclosures as well as the pre-production PCBs will come in so if we are lucky, it's not long anymore!! applause
rechner7
thx - i am really looking forward the kommander, it's a small and nifty tool. i just wanted to give some ideas for further koma-tools - i hope there are many of them in future!

does the kommander run with the (quasi-)standard 9v boss style connector?
osterchrisi
rechner7 wrote:
thx - i am really looking forward the kommander, it's a small and nifty tool. i just wanted to give some ideas for further koma-tools - i hope there are many of them in future!

does the kommander run with the (quasi-)standard 9v boss style connector?

Ideas and suggestions are always welcome!
Plus: Yes, the Kommander runs on the standard 9V boss style adapter, you only have to provide at least 500mA because those infrared LEDs eat a looooot of current - some of them you can drive with up to 150mA! woah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4