MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Let's argue about Buchla owners who want to keep their gear
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Let's argue about Buchla owners who want to keep their gear
science
How might one go about finding out when these runs are happening, or how to purchase them? Do I need to somehow become accepted into the secret society of up-tight Buchla owners on the internet? How do I go about that?

(the up-tight comment isn't aimed at people on this forum by the way, everyone here seems much cooler than the people I've encountered on a certain yahoo group)
cbm
The Buchla yahoo groups don't seem up-tight to me. A little curt sometimes when people post along the lines of "Wanted: Music Easel" maybe, but not particularly crabby overall.
science
cbm wrote:
The Buchla yahoo groups don't seem up-tight to me. A little curt sometimes when people post along the lines of "Wanted: Music Easel" maybe, but not particularly crabby overall.

I posted some of my more rare and unique synths up for possible trade towards Buchla gear, and was immediately greeted by a jackass who felt the need to make a pointless, stupid comment. Bad first impression, I guess... but reading through the archives, I kind of got the feeling that they actually are up-tight "you can't trade with us because you don't already have rare original 100 and 200 series modules" type people. Oh well.. at least I didn't get that feeling from Don when I initially spoke to him about ordering a system via e-mail.
amnesia
i think people read too much into buchla owners, they are no different from any synth owners...its a great modular synth, my favourite , but really its just folks with synths.

its like some apple computer owners, i own both mac and pc, they are just tools they dont make you smarter.

i would forget about trading for a buchla, sell the stuff you dont want, I did and it sped up the Buchla purchase :-)
Roycie Roller
science wrote:
How might one go about finding out when these runs are happening, or how to purchase them?

This is Mark Verbos' blog- he's the guy who built the 258v. You might be able to contact him through there (check his profile page) to register your interest in getting some modules. I imagine he might do more runs of the modules.

http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html
science
Roycie Roller wrote:
science wrote:
How might one go about finding out when these runs are happening, or how to purchase them?

This is Mark Verbos' blog- he's the guy who built the 258v. You might be able to contact him through there (check his profile page) to register your interest in getting some modules. I imagine he might do more runs of the modules.

http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

I'm familiar with him and his blog... but I can't find anything on his blog that indicates a method of contacting him or purchasing modules from him. I'll figure it out.
wetterberg
science wrote:
but I can't find anything on his blog that indicates a method of contacting him or purchasing modules from him.

Didn't you know? Uncontactability and low-key internet presence is the first step to selling high-end expensive synth gear.
mono-poly
Science it doesn't take only monney to purchase a buchla.
Also people willing to sell you one.
Sorry but that is just how it is.
I've seen your advert and it is nice stuff but not rare compared to Buchla.
sandyb
science wrote:

I posted some of my more rare and unique synths up for possible trade towards Buchla gear, and was immediately greeted by a jackass who felt the need to make a pointless, stupid comment. Bad first impression, I guess... but reading through the archives, I kind of got the feeling that they actually are up-tight "you can't trade with us because you don't already have rare original 100 and 200 series modules" type people. Oh well.. at least I didn't get that feeling from Don when I initially spoke to him about ordering a system via e-mail.

i think the thing to remember here in particular is that (and i am generalising) this is mainly a modular synth forum. which means imho that while people may be interested in trading for non-modular gear it's less likely than some of the more general music gear forums. in my case (and others here i'm sure as well), for example, i sold pretty much all the non-modular gear i owned when the modular bug hit and it's pretty rare that i'll purchase/trade much that isn't modular. so- by all means try for a trade but understand that it's most certainly not a given that you'll be successful.

sandy smile
ndkent
Well as to those Buchla yahoo groups, there was a small amount of recent debate on the 200e one as it seems you have to own or use a system to be admitted. Doesn't make much sense to me since anyone serious would really want to learn as much as they can before buying.

Umm and I don't think many of the handful or 2 of individuals who own a Music Easel are sitting around on these lists waiting for someone to come around and say "I'll buy your Music Easel". Like wouldn't they just come out and say "I'd like to sell my music easel" or do they need to be informed that someone out there wants to buy one? So I can sort of understand some impatience with someone more or less begging and or fishing and who's not there to learn or contribute.

On the other hand a little thought would make it sort of obvious that a trade for anything but other Buchla modules really isn't likely to come to pass. I mean everyone surely has some stuff they think is nice (not to mention plenty of mediocre gear) that they wish they could trade for some Buchla modules... but that's never realistically going to happen and more research before you go fishing for a trade would probably bear that out. People most likely will do a cross trade for the equivalent and trade their Buchla modules for something likely more common and near certainly less advanced.

As for the Mark Verbos blog, wouldn't it make sense to add a polite comment asking for more info (unless I'm missing something and the comments are shut down)?
citizen mori
science wrote:
"you can't trade with us because you don't already have rare original 100 and 200 series modules" type people.

i am absolutely this type of person!

why reedofuncertainty feels the need to re-enforce a caustic foyer around the entry into old school buchla is entirely beyond me but do not take it to heart. however, i do understand the lack of interest in trading buchla for non buchla.

-

"why, what a nice thingy over there, what does it do?"

"it is the only thing i've seen which does this and this! listen! and look, too!"

"ah so it is amazing!! is it easy to find? may i buy one too?"

"it is in fact not easy to find! it is the only one i personally have ever seen, and i spent four years on the transpotting tip across all mediums and possibilities available. even with this web of circuit letting me watch nearly anywhere on earth, i've seen just the one come available! even with visiting the studios of many musicians, i've only used this one!"

-

this is true to most of the buchla modules which i own. the stories among those in my age group (i was not unfortunate enough to experience 'the disco spoon') are all quite a dramatic effort, almost always taking years, to find modules or a system of the vintage sort.

counting in my head the efforts of those i've had contact with, i believe the shortest time on the hunt is around three years (and this individual is very high profile and very visible in the music space, a significant help on this tip) and the longest nine years. college educations last three to six years and it is for many how we define ourselves for our entire lives...

and so now i look at this category of individual who will put this sort of time towards a thing which is at base a tool for expression, an artificial quill and paper or a secondary (or primary!) larynx and think they are in love. for me, i love these instruments, and i don't know a buchlaist who does not.

would a mandolin player sell their one mandolin if they were certain they would not find another? if history had it that there were only a couple hundred mandolins on earth (one per 150k+ square miles of habitable land)? would that mandolin player feel comfortable sacrificing the mandolin(100/200) for a currently-available fender twin(200e)?

my apologies sincere if this arrives as up-tight... it is just my expriences. i do not mean to discourage, only to offer some perspectives as someone existing on the other side of your conundrum...
science
citizen mori wrote:
my apologies sincere if this arrives as up-tight... it is just my expriences. i do not mean to discourage, only to offer some perspectives as someone existing on the other side of your conundrum...

It was more the fact that someone felt it necessary to make a nasty comment in response to my trade offer that bothered me. I was offering rare gear up for trade, for the possibility someone might want what I'm trading and have a 200e module or something they'd be willing to part with in trade. I wasn't trying to insult anyone.

Also, on the subject of older Buchla gear, if the people who own them refuse to sell or trade them to anyone who doesn't already own a piece, how are people like me to ever obtain any of it (and I have, in fact, been looking for quite some time)? Are these people going to be buried with their modules to prevent anyone from ever entering their little club?
science
ndkent wrote:
On the other hand a little thought would make it sort of obvious that a trade for anything but other Buchla modules really isn't likely to come to pass. I mean everyone surely has some stuff they think is nice (not to mention plenty of mediocre gear) that they wish they could trade for some Buchla modules... but that's never realistically going to happen and more research before you go fishing for a trade would probably bear that out. People most likely will do a cross trade for the equivalent and trade their Buchla modules for something likely more common and near certainly less advanced.?

Considering two of the pieces I offered for trade are quite rare, and one is, as far as I know, one of less than 10 ever made, I didn't think I was being rude or stupid to think that there might be someone out there with a still-in-production 200e module they might be willing to trade. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that I gave it a shot. I in no way suggested that someone "HAD" to trade with me. All I did was asked if anyone was interested. If anyone finds that so offensive that they had to make a shitty comment in response, they need to grow up and get over themselves.
cbm
science wrote:
Also, on the subject of older Buchla gear, if the people who own them refuse to sell or trade them to anyone who doesn't already own a piece, how are people like me to ever obtain any of it (and I have, in fact, been looking for quite some time)? Are these people going to be buried with their modules to prevent anyone from ever entering their little club?

I don't think that the people who are refusing to sell are doing it out of spite. They just feel that trading the Buchla modules they no longer want for other Buchla modules that they do want is a better deal than converting the modules into money, and then trying to convert the money back into other Buchla modules.

Also, the comment about the Buchla owner's alleged burial habits and their "little club" seems, to me, every bit as condescending as the treatment you may have received. I think chilling on all sides is in order.
science
cbm wrote:
I don't think that the people who are refusing to sell are doing it out of spite.

I just pretty much made it clear that I have no problem with them refusing to sell or trade anything to me. I just thought the general attitude and comments were out of line and childish.
citizen mori
science wrote:

nearly every module i have bought with hard money seemed to be from an individual who needed money and was giving up a posession against their interest, desire and mood, because of some desperate and urgent financial need.

it's not the most comfortable kind of transaction to be part of... at least, not for me. i've felt guilt with every purchase, and ruined two by asking the owner at the last hour, "are you sure?" friendships mean more than even buchla...

i suppose the answer is not everyone who owns buchla can afford to keep one in contrast to other concerns in life.

the only module which i have traded non buchla for is a very, very used model 230.

larger systems aren't advertised too often, even if there is one sitting in the hands of an interested seller... theft is a spectre at the door ever since the evergreen incident (and others' incidents less advertised). beyond that, many who have these instrument have developed a culture of disdain towards the number of buchla systems which they philosophize "do not get enough use" or "do not receive enough respect" and so feel it is worthwhile to validate the buyer via their own opinions and aesthetics, and so they are contacting people who might want to buy their systems, instead of the other way around.

it is an unusual environment. i cannot think of a single other realm where one can expect to pay $5000+ for a single, fragile and slowly expiring electronic device whose build instructions (schematics) are more or less publically available.
chrisso
[quote="science"]
cbm wrote:
I just thought the general attitude and comments were out of line and childish.

What's your problem?
I'm a member of the Yahoo Group in question. I saw your post and saw no replies.
You mentioned earlier a nasty response. Was this by a private means?
Did you receive more than one private response?
To be fair, people regularly post WTB ads, they very rarely (if ever) result in a purchase. As has been stated, Buchla modules are as rare as hens teeth.
There was a bit of activity about ten years ago (when I bought my small system), but it's likely now most systems are in stable homes and those owners would only consider selling if they were about to default on their mortgage.
It's a sad fact that when an owner decides to sell or swap a 200 series module, the transaction will most likely happen between personal contacts, as everyone knows the people who are in the market to buy. If ever a module or two appears on the Yahoo Group it is snapped up instantly.
It's more about the dearth of available modules, than something nasty about the members of the forum.
As to rarity.......
I watch out for Buchla modules on Ebay. I've been watching for many years..... just in case. meh
In the meantime, the synths you label 'rare' make regular appearances, in fact you might say they were available on Ebay at least monthly.
So it's all about supply and demand, and not at all about rude people who wont sell you something because of who you are.
Chill out, peel your eyes and wait patiently like the rest of us. very frustrating Mr. Green
(Sorry for the first post rant)
[quote="chrisso"]
science wrote:
cbm wrote:
I just thought the general attitude and comments were out of line and childish.

What's your problem?

am not sure,but i think the guy is interested in 200e modules not 200.
science
delete
chrisso
2012 wrote:

am not sure,but i think the guy is interested in 200e modules not 200.

He requested a Music Easel, which is based on 200 (not 200e), he later wondered if anyone would sell 200 modules to add to a proposed 200e system.
science
delete
Muff Wiggler
i think this thread really isn't the place to feel bitter about Buchla owners not wanting to trade for modern stuff.

feel free to start a new thread if you'd really like.

thank-you.
science
delete
Muff Wiggler
no it's not, please DON'T continue in this thread, start a new thread if it's interesting, thanks.
chrisso
OK sorry.
We are obviously talking about different people, and perhaps a different Yahoo Group.
Apologies.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3