MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Area-based "User Groups" - Join now!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Area-based "User Groups" - Join now!
Chuck E. Jesus
i was the one who requested a subforum for Local Synth Groups...the reason i requested this is Surachai already started a Chicago Area group, and there is already a mailing list for it and it's his baby, but there is also a thread on Modular Synth General Discussion where people are communicating, and other threads for other areas are starting as well...i just thought it would be better for the Modular Synth General Discussion subforum if people didn't clog it up with pics of their events and what type of food might be served at the next one and such (i almost went there)...i think User Groups is a really cool idea for sending certain info like phone numbers, addresses, etc, but doesn't really solve the problem of the general discussion of these events clogging other subforums (well, maybe it would)...but i think it would be cool to see how others organize their events, see the pics, etc, so having "members only" subforums doesn't seem like a good idea to me...

just some thoughts, my opinion only w00t

also: i agree with STG about "Midwest" if things go down that way...
Muff Wiggler
i'll make the midwest edit to the Chicago group later on plus some other changes

i'm not going to add another subforum for 'local events' because it wouldn't really be local, it would be for everyone in the world, and there would only be like six threads in it anyway

the usergroups are an experiment - not trying to step on Surachai's toes or anyone else, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out

if any usergroups gets more than 30 people in it, that group can (if they want) have their own discussion forum, but it would be *hidden* - i.e. only users in the group would be able to see it

there's way enough forums already.
Chuck E. Jesus
say lah vee and stuff...
Muff Wiggler
ross g wrote:
i was the one who requested a subforum for Local Synth Groups...

Sorry Ross, I was originally responding to alt-mode who made the same request a couple of days earlier - it was one page earlier in the same thread where you made your request:

alt-mode on May 28 wrote:
How about an area for "Synth Events"? You could have sub areas for "Synth Gigs", perhaps by region, and "Synth Get Togethers" like AHNE, AHMW, etc.

Whaddya think?

ross g on June 2 wrote:
perhaps it's time for a Local Synth Group subforum? there's like five threads going in the Modular General Discussion subforum, seems to indicate a trend...perhaps consolidate them under "General"? just a suggestion wink

Anyway, I guess it's a matter of perception. Personally (and I may be in the minority here) I don't really think six threads within an existing subforum adds any 'clutter' to the overall forum... in particular when they are within an already-busy subforum filled with threads. People can click on those threads if they want to see what sort of yummy pie people in Chicago eat, or they can ignore them if they don't.

Whereas launching a seperate subforum for Events would add an additional forum in the main index that everyone would see all the time, and that in my opinion is clutter.

Hence the idea for membership-group based 'regional' hidden subforums. It's not like anyone is prevented from joining - it's open signup, the moderator just has to click the approve button. Some people from Asia may *want* to know what's happening in NYC. Some might not care.

Anyway, like I said, just an idea/experiment to play around with. If the idea sucks or Surachai is already going a better job or something, we can always bail on doing it here.
doctorvague
chromium wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:
Doug Wellington wrote:
I don't know if there are enough of us in Arizona Redneck to justify our own group, but how about a general "SW" group for AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV? Or are you going to make us associate with those LA types? nuts Haha!

AZ here

Another Southwest wiggler here - Chandler, AZ Sun Dead Banana beer!

I'm in Silver City, NM and I'm down for the Southwest if it doesn't get over 6-7 hours away. I'm OK with Tucson, Phoenix, Albuquerque or Santa Fe, etc. We're spread out down here, that's for sure - just like we like it! My first vote is Tucson - NOT in the summer!

EDIT: deleted unnecessary content
Phil
Chuck E. Jesus
@ Muff:

dude, no prob at all...no idea alt-mode had a similar idea a few days earlier, coincidence... if you you don't think it's too much clutter, there you go, it's all good...

Quote:
People can click on those threads if they want to see what sort of yummy pie people in Chicago eat, or they can ignore them if they don't.

hihi

i was about to go into BBQ talk with STG in the Chicago Area thread, just decided it wasn't really a synth oriented discussion topic Dinner at the Y spinning Dancing Star
Doug Wellington
doctorvague wrote:
My first vote is Tucson - NOT in the summer!

Well, *my* first vote would be Tucson, but then... hihi

And we DO have one of the best BBQ places - Mr. K's!

Ugly but Tasty
Mr. K's rates an A for barbecue

I had them make all the food for my 50th birthday... w00t
parasitk
For me it would kinda suck if I couldn't read the threads about what happened in Chicago, or LA, or where ever just because I'm not a part of that usergroup. I like reading threads about stuff that doesn't happen in my geographical region!
doctorvague
parasitk wrote:
For me it would kinda suck if I couldn't read the threads about what happened in Chicago, or LA, or where ever just because I'm not a part of that usergroup. I like reading threads about stuff that doesn't happen in my geographical region!

I agree!
Muff Wiggler
ok - forget about subforums

let's try using the groups in the simple fashion like I suggested, just as an easy way to see who is local and be able to send a localized message to them

please keep posting your modular synth get togethers in the General Discussion forum! 8_)
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:

please keep posting your modular synth get togethers in the General Discussion forum! 8_)

or in that new "Local Synth Groups" subforum you are thinking of...

:runs for hills, finds hill, digs hole in dirt behind hill, lies in hole and pulls branches and leaves over self, remains motionless:
Muff Wiggler
lol
Muff Wiggler
ok, SW group created

Chicago group renamed "Mideast USA Modular Users"

NYC group renamed "Northeast USA Modular Users"
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:

d'oh!
Muff Wiggler
lol

oops

Midwest it is!
Muff Wiggler
Pacific NW USA Modular Users added

On a slightly different note, do you think we should combine Asia and Australia into an APAC group? I've only got one person in each group right now, pretty lonely!
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:

Midwest it is!

in all fairness, i know next to nothing about Canadia...
Muff Wiggler
i actually knew the difference....I go to Chicago all the time, at least transferring flight

just a brainfart, what can I say...
alt-mode
OK, now that we have user groups, please forgive the ignorant question but, what can we do with them? I didn't see any obvious knobs.
Robba
A pm option might be handy.
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:

i appreciate your effort but i think an Iraqi Modular group would be a better call.
sandyb
well - i hope my efforts to join the european group are approved by the moderator razz
Muff Wiggler
hehehe

you're in hyper
brandon daniel
ross g wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:

d'oh!

lol Have this argument with my ex-Chitown gf all the time. "Midwest" is an anachronism, a throwback to a time when anything west of the eastern seaboard was out west, and anything west of the mississippi was wild country.

In today's USA, calling the area of the country around Chicago the "Midwest" only makes sense because that's what it's *always* been called, not because of any real geographic proximity to the west.

Still, that's the only acceptable way to refer to it.
wetterberg
I think it's great that we're sort of starting to organize into little local groups.

... it's still a shame that for now the General Modular forum is kinda useless wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4