MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Area-based "User Groups" - Join now!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Area-based "User Groups" - Join now!
Muff Wiggler
so there was a request to create a section for 'local events'.

I shot it down for now as there's not a LOT of posts on the subject, AND there's already a LOT of sub-forums - some say too many.

But it got me thinking, and I'm trying something else - the one feature of the forum we don't really use: Usergroups!

There's only really two things to use them for: I can create subforums that are hidden to everyone who isn't in the usergroup - but I don't really want to do that right now.

The other thing we can do is pretty simple, but it might be handy and I'm willing to try it out: We can 'mass email' to every member of a given user group.

So, I've set up a few, if you are interested, please join the one that's most applicable to you, or request that a new one gets made (see below)...

- Asia Region Modular Users
- Australian Modular Users
- Canadian Modular Users
- European Modular Users
- L.A. Area Modular Users
- Midwest USA Modular Users (Chicago, etc.)
- Northeast USA Modular Users (NYC, Boston, etc.)
- Pacific NW USA Modular Users (Seattle, Portland, etc.)
- SF & Bay Area Modular Users
- Southwest USA Modular Users (AZ, NM, TX, etc.)

Obviously a group is only good if there's enough people in the region: Note one group for ALL of Canada, and then targeted, regional groups for the 'hotbed' places like NYC, SF & LA.

Now, if there's a group that would be good to have, let me know and I'll add it. SW-USA? PAC-NW?

Also, each group needs a moderator. All the moderator can do is approve requests to join the group. I can't just let you 'auto join' with a click - the group moderator needs to approve.

So, for the regions listed, I need a volunteer from each to moderate. Currently I am setup as moderator for each of the groups, but I would like to not have that role for any of them except the Canadian one. The users that take on this role will receive an email notification any time someone applies to the group, and they can then click on the "Usergroups" link at the top of the forum, and approve (or deny) the request.

Now, as far as sending a mass email to all members of the group, that's something that only sandyb or myself can do as board administrators. So if any member of the group has a message they need sent to the whole group (say for example notice of a gathering), send it via PM to Sandy or myself, and the name of the group you want it relayed to, and we will send it off.

So, for the time being, just a simple implementation of Usergroups. Let's see how it goes.

Please let me know what you think - thanks!
Muff Wiggler
oh yeah

if someone requests a new group...

i need it 'seconded' and then 'thirded', and then I'll make it

just to prevent having groups with only one person...
Muff Wiggler
d'oh! if you're wondering where to find them, just click on the 'usergroups' link at the top of the forum page, right in between "Memberlist" and "Muff's Lounge Chat"
Muff Wiggler
ok one more rule -

you can self-nominate yourself as a moderator (until we get a moderator for each group)

but your nomination will need to be seconded and thirded by other forum members twisted
Doug Wellington
I don't know if there are enough of us in Arizona Redneck to justify our own group, but how about a general "SW" group for AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV? Or are you going to make us associate with those LA types? nuts Haha!
Muff Wiggler
Doug Wellington wrote:
Or are you going to make us associate with those LA types? nuts Haha!

i wouldn't will that on anybody hihi (hides)

SW is a great idea, let's get that seconded and thirded by a couple more who are interested, and I'll set it up SlayerBadger!

just realized I should do Australia as well, I know there's the VICMOD crew plus a bunch more...

.... Australia made

.... Asia as well
aetherpulse
There might be enough people in the Pacific Northwest.
Doug Wellington
aetherpulse wrote:
There might be enough people in the Pacific Northwest.

I know several from up there. Anybody else as big a fan of Hell's Canyon as I am? we're not worthy

EDIT: John DuVal: Hell's Canyon Only thing that comes close to it is Robert Rich's Bestiary...
Muff Wiggler
well if we have three or more from an area not on the list, just let me know

and to sweeten the deal, here's my proposal:

Any regional usergroup that achieves 30 members or more - if they want it (their moderator will have to poll the group and let me know), I will set up a regional subforum here, viewable only by members of the group. You can use it to discuss gatherings, local events, etc.

All I ask is that you keep the regional sub-forum content VERY local-centric. if you're posting something that would be of any interest to the forum-at-large, put it in one of the public forums.

And sandyb and I (along with group moderator) will be moderators in all the regional-group subforums as well, so we'll keep the spam out and uphold all fine Muff traditions in there....plus move any good stuff out in public smile
gaslampmusehog
I second a southwest/ Arizona user group
Chromium, Cerebrosis lets get some thirds and fourths!
eyehue
Third for AZ/SW.
flight
Second for Pac NW - There's at least six Seattleites now.
Muff Wiggler
eyehue wrote:
Third for AZ/SW.

cool, let's do it. What should we call it? 'SouthWest USA'? SW-USA? AZ/SW? The latter seems a little biased towards Arizona dwellers, so someone local please tell me what the commonly accepted terminology for the region would be?

thx
Muff Wiggler
btw I am not adverse to slicing up Europe if it turns out there's a bunch in germany, a bunch in france, etc

you can see why I made the "minimum 30 in the group for a subforum" rule (hides)
JohnLRice
flight wrote:
Second for Pac NW - There's at least six Seattleites now.

A third for the PNW! w00t
suitandtieguy
i would prefer "Midwest USA" to "Chicago" because "Chicago" is too city-centric and we need to think regionally, not locally, with this concept.
Doug Wellington
Muff Wiggler wrote:
cool, let's do it. What should we call it? 'SouthWest USA'? SW-USA? AZ/SW? The latter seems a little biased towards Arizona dwellers, so someone local please tell me what the commonly accepted terminology for the region would be?

I think the usual terminology is "surface of the sun"... lol

If you're going to spell out "Midwest USA" for the Chicago guys, you should probably spell out "Southwest USA" for this group...?
Kwote
i'll nominate myself for the SF Bay Area thing. but have no problem being shot down. just figure i'm the most active bay head on this forum so i wouldn't wanna burden anyone else with the task.
HexEnduction
I'll "fourth" for a Pac NW.
John Rice, Doug or Mr.FOTH for moderator because they seem the most active. w00t
ai
TX Area
alt-mode
Since I started this with the request for "local events", I will request a NE US. NYC is another world to some of us. razz

I'll also volunteer to moderate.

Eric
cerebrosis
Doug Wellington wrote:
I don't know if there are enough of us in Arizona Redneck to justify our own group, but how about a general "SW" group for AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV? Or are you going to make us associate with those LA types? nuts Haha!

AZ here
stretta
Quote:
Since I started this with the request for "local events", I will request a NE US. NYC is another world to some of us.

Seconded.
chromium
cerebrosis wrote:
Doug Wellington wrote:

AZ here

Another Southwest wiggler here - Chandler, AZ Sun Dead Banana beer!
richard_k
Another Arizona wiggler here, Mesa, AZ.

Thanks, Muff!

But, it's a dry heat...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read! Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4