MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SE Boomstar
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author SE Boomstar
t-bone
check out these bad boys smile havent heard any demos yet but these could be sweeeetttttt

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products/synths/boomstar/#crumbs
dogoftears
That looks awesome!! Any more info??
t-bone
so far all ive heard is whts on their site, but it looks like there will be 4 seperate units each with a different filter type. moog, arp, sem, or 303 will be the choices. hopefully there will be some demos soon
rockmanrock
Looks like a winner to me. Makes the Micromac look a tad pricey and the Minitaur somewhat plain.
CF3
Damn that looks cool. 4 filter types to choose from hyper SE always makes quality stuff. It's like a tabletop ATC-1. hihi
rockmanrock
CF3 wrote:
Damn that looks cool. 4 filter types to choose from hyper SE always makes quality stuff. It's like a tabletop ATC-1. hihi

Hardware envelopes though, and it mentions hand matched transistors in the VCA, they were always moan points for SE stuff I think?
REwire
One $800 Unit for each Filter type? That's going to make it hard to choose hmmm..... Wish they had made them drop in filter cards like the larger units.
burnn_out!
Am I alone in thinking these seem redundant given the price. Outside of the arp model there are multiple mass produced versions of the other filters.
ndkent
I like the "since 1985" blurb. Of course we all know they were gutting 1970s synths and racking them then later cloning stuff. Not to put this new one down, seems good for the money. The knobs are there unlike some SE units. Also does discrete imply hardware envelopes? I would guess so but then again it seemed like all the filters were in each unit.

bet there will be a lot of FT going on, until the inevitable multi filter version (which of course in the SE tradition will only be one at a time rather than routable in series/parallel/ all the configs modular folks take for granted.
revtor
Man, and another one hits the market..

Im having a hard time even looking at specs for these things at this point.. But the modulation on this looks nice at first glance. for the price. Way more than the Minitaur.

Here's our mini modern analog list. And i'm sure there are more... If I saw this list 5 years ago I would have never believed it!!!!

Boomstar
Minitaur
SEM
MiniBrute(is that the name?)
MM SL1 synthlab
xoxbox
FR XS
Semblance
Monotribe
Eowave Domino
Micromac
Dark ENERGY
flashheart
rockmanrock wrote:
CF3 wrote:

Hardware envelopes though, and it mentions hand matched transistors in the VCA, they were always moan points for SE stuff I think?

I think it was the software envelopes on the SEs (too slow) that were the moan point. The transistor VCA were always treated as a upgrade too.

Decent price for SE stuff. Still, be way more here and the chances of ever actually seeing one...
doombient.music
t-bone wrote:
check out these bad boys smile havent heard any demos yet but these could be sweeeetttttt

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products/synths/boomstar/#crumbs

How wizard...

Stephen
rockmanrock
flashheart wrote:
rockmanrock wrote:
CF3 wrote:

I think it was the software envelopes on the SEs (too slow) that were the moan point. The transistor VCA were always treated as a upgrade too.

Decent price for SE stuff. Still, be way more here and the chances of ever actually seeing one...

Yes, that's what I was getting at. This looks better than a lot of their old products - better sound, more knobs, patch points and all for less money.
maxwellravitz
exciting! applause applause applause
Jason Brock
burnn_out! wrote:
Am I alone in thinking these seem redundant given the price. Outside of the arp model there are multiple mass produced versions of the other filters.

The more the merrier in my opinion. A SEMblance doesn't sound like a Tom Oberheim SEM, and this new SE box will probably sound a bit different too. I'm all for companies releasing as many knobby boxes as they want. I hope the trend continues and inspires other gear that doesn't have menu-type interfaces.
computer controlled
ARP
ARP
ARP
clusterchord
update by Greg from Studio Electronics:

dynamics access to ENV1 intensity i.e. filter

ring modulator (like they used on ATCX and SE)

SEM version of Boomsta will have classic SEM setup i.e. a mix pot between LP and HP (and resulting NOTCH), as well as switch for BP.

mixer section with mini pots, will have following controls:

Feedback, Noise, Osc1, Osc2 and Rmod

great news This is fun!
dj2sday
I loved my se-1. the envelopes never really bothered me. i want the arp one now!!!!!
lag
yeah ARP!
MindMachine
Does it seem like an odd decision to make Oberheim and Moog versions when they are currently being produced by the original manufacturers?
dougt
MindMachine wrote:
Does it seem like an odd decision to make Oberheim and Moog versions when they are currently being produced by the original manufacturers?

Yeah to actually call it an "SEM" while Tom O is selling his seems a bit tasteless/disrespectful...
REwire
dougt wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Yeah to actually call it an "SEM" while Tom O is selling his seems a bit tasteless/disrespectful...

Well for the SEM version, Geoff Farr of the GSF Agency is distributing these as well as the Tom Oberheim stuff so it seems Ok in some way. As for Moog, the SE version of that just says "5089".
mckenic
Sorry to bump this again... I was practicing my google-fu trying to find out when the Pulse 2 is comming/audio demos and I saw something about Boomstar on slutz.

eek!

woah! I loved the idea of the ATC-1 with drop-n filters when it originally came out but I was getting into softsynths then. Anyone think a future Boom would have this option? I'd certainly LOVE that! The SEM & Arp ones would be interesting to me I think - a great price point too depending on how they sound.

When were these announced and when will they drop if anyone knows please?

[EDIT - any comment on SE build quality, reliability etc? I know nothing about them except I'd love a ribbon mic!]
dubnspace
They were announced back in February. The release has been delayed several times with the last ETA end of August. Obviously that didnt happen unless I get an email from Nova tomorrow that mine shipped.. Sure they're close though.
Carey M
Did any NAMM-attending Wigglers have a go on the Boomstar? I was planning on getting one, but there are still no proper demos...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6