SE Boomstar

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

t-bone
Common Wiggler

SE Boomstar

Post by t-bone » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:37 pm

check out these bad boys :) havent heard any demos yet but these could be sweeeetttttt

http://www.studioelectronics.com/produc ... ar/#crumbs

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 pm

That looks awesome!! Any more info??
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

t-bone
Common Wiggler

Post by t-bone » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 pm

so far all ive heard is whts on their site, but it looks like there will be 4 seperate units each with a different filter type. moog, arp, sem, or 303 will be the choices. hopefully there will be some demos soon

rockmanrock
Common Wiggler

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Looks like a winner to me. Makes the Micromac look a tad pricey and the Minitaur somewhat plain.
Last edited by rockmanrock on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Damn that looks cool. 4 filter types to choose from :hyper: SE always makes quality stuff. It's like a tabletop ATC-1. :hihi:

rockmanrock
Common Wiggler

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 pm

CF3 wrote:Damn that looks cool. 4 filter types to choose from :hyper: SE always makes quality stuff. It's like a tabletop ATC-1. :hihi:
Hardware envelopes though, and it mentions hand matched transistors in the VCA, they were always moan points for SE stuff I think?

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm

One $800 Unit for each Filter type? That's going to make it hard to choose :hmm: Wish they had made them drop in filter cards like the larger units.

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Am I alone in thinking these seem redundant given the price. Outside of the arp model there are multiple mass produced versions of the other filters.
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:50 pm

I like the "since 1985" blurb. Of course we all know they were gutting 1970s synths and racking them then later cloning stuff. Not to put this new one down, seems good for the money. The knobs are there unlike some SE units. Also does discrete imply hardware envelopes? I would guess so but then again it seemed like all the filters were in each unit.

bet there will be a lot of FT going on, until the inevitable multi filter version (which of course in the SE tradition will only be one at a time rather than routable in series/parallel/ all the configs modular folks take for granted.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Man, and another one hits the market..

Im having a hard time even looking at specs for these things at this point.. But the modulation on this looks nice at first glance. for the price. Way more than the Minitaur.

Here's our mini modern analog list. And i'm sure there are more... If I saw this list 5 years ago I would have never believed it!!!!

Boomstar
Minitaur
SEM
MiniBrute(is that the name?)
MM SL1 synthlab
xoxbox
FR XS
Semblance
Monotribe
Eowave Domino
Micromac
Dark ENERGY

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:55 pm

rockmanrock wrote:
CF3 wrote:Damn that looks cool. 4 filter types to choose from :hyper: SE always makes quality stuff. It's like a tabletop ATC-1. :hihi:
Hardware envelopes though, and it mentions hand matched transistors in the VCA, they were always moan points for SE stuff I think?
I think it was the software envelopes on the SEs (too slow) that were the moan point. The transistor VCA were always treated as a upgrade too.

Decent price for SE stuff. Still, be way more here and the chances of ever actually seeing one...

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: SE Boomstar

Post by doombient.music » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 am

t-bone wrote:check out these bad boys :) havent heard any demos yet but these could be sweeeetttttt

http://www.studioelectronics.com/produc ... ar/#crumbs
How wizard...

Stephen

rockmanrock
Common Wiggler

Post by rockmanrock » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 am

flashheart wrote:
rockmanrock wrote:
I think it was the software envelopes on the SEs (too slow) that were the moan point. The transistor VCA were always treated as a upgrade too.

Decent price for SE stuff. Still, be way more here and the chances of ever actually seeing one...
Yes, that's what I was getting at. This looks better than a lot of their old products - better sound, more knobs, patch points and all for less money.

maxwellravitz
Common Wiggler

Post by maxwellravitz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:12 pm

exciting! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:19 pm

burnn_out! wrote:Am I alone in thinking these seem redundant given the price. Outside of the arp model there are multiple mass produced versions of the other filters.
The more the merrier in my opinion. A SEMblance doesn't sound like a Tom Oberheim SEM, and this new SE box will probably sound a bit different too. I'm all for companies releasing as many knobby boxes as they want. I hope the trend continues and inspires other gear that doesn't have menu-type interfaces.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:02 am

ARP
ARP
ARP
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ - Waldorf Microwave II . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Microvolt 3900 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 pm

update by Greg from Studio Electronics:

dynamics access to ENV1 intensity i.e. filter

ring modulator (like they used on ATCX and SE)

SEM version of Boomsta will have classic SEM setup i.e. a mix pot between LP and HP (and resulting NOTCH), as well as switch for BP.

mixer section with mini pots, will have following controls:

Feedback, Noise, Osc1, Osc2 and Rmod

great news :cloud:

FS: Casio HT6000 8-voice hybrid, Rene 1, E370, MXR MF403 Pedal Power (PM me)

dj2sday
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dj2sday » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 pm

I loved my se-1. the envelopes never really bothered me. i want the arp one now!!!!!

lag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lag » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:26 am

yeah ARP!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:53 am

Does it seem like an odd decision to make Oberheim and Moog versions when they are currently being produced by the original manufacturers?

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:30 am

MindMachine wrote:Does it seem like an odd decision to make Oberheim and Moog versions when they are currently being produced by the original manufacturers?
Yeah to actually call it an "SEM" while Tom O is selling his seems a bit tasteless/disrespectful...

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 am

dougt wrote:
MindMachine wrote:Does it seem like an odd decision to make Oberheim and Moog versions when they are currently being produced by the original manufacturers?
Yeah to actually call it an "SEM" while Tom O is selling his seems a bit tasteless/disrespectful...
Well for the SEM version, Geoff Farr of the GSF Agency is distributing these as well as the Tom Oberheim stuff so it seems Ok in some way. As for Moog, the SE version of that just says "5089".

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Sorry to bump this again... I was practicing my google-fu trying to find out when the Pulse 2 is comming/audio demos and I saw something about Boomstar on slutz.

:eek:

woah! I loved the idea of the ATC-1 with drop-n filters when it originally came out but I was getting into softsynths then. Anyone think a future Boom would have this option? I'd certainly LOVE that! The SEM & Arp ones would be interesting to me I think - a great price point too depending on how they sound.

When were these announced and when will they drop if anyone knows please?

[EDIT - any comment on SE build quality, reliability etc? I know nothing about them except I'd love a ribbon mic!]

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:11 pm

They were announced back in February. The release has been delayed several times with the last ETA end of August. Obviously that didnt happen unless I get an email from Nova tomorrow that mine shipped.. Sure they're close though.

Carey M
Common Wiggler

Post by Carey M » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Did any NAMM-attending Wigglers have a go on the Boomstar? I was planning on getting one, but there are still no proper demos...

Return to “General Gear”