MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vacuum Cleaner Challange
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Vacuum Cleaner Challange
zomgw00t
I want to hear your best "Hoover" sound made with a modular synth and your best recreation of the sound of a Hoover vacuum cleaner cleaning a dirty floor made with a modular synth!

For reference...

The "Hoover" sound:

The sound of a Hoover vacuum cleaner:

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana

Have at it!
Babaluma
Good luck with your challenge!

Check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_sound

Lots of great links if you scroll down.
thebot
hihi I believe I'll be having a pop at this over the weekend.
VanEck
Big fan of hoover patches. Never really tried to make one on the modular though, as I've felt too many extra effects are needed to get it right that I simply don't have in my modular or hardware setup... lots of chorus and such for example. Always done hoovers in the software world of things.

I have made some patches close to it though... big FM'd supersaws and such using the e340. Curious to hear what others create in this thread...
Chuck E. Jesus
sorry, i'm a Shop-Vac man...
Just me
Electrolux man here. Much quieter than a nasty old Hoover. But it could be fun to give it a try. (Probably end up sounding like a Kirby.)
goom
I don't see the connection between the Hoover synth sound description in the Wiki link, and the Hoover Model 800 video, much less any real vacuum cleaner.

Same with the Joey Beltram video above. It doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner to me. Nice patch though.

Is the challenge to make the sound of a real vacuum cleaner, or a sound like the Beltram patch in the above vid?

Sorry for not getting this!
sunsinger
I want to hear your best fart noise seriously, i just don't get it
Babaluma
Dunno about anywhere else, but in the halycyon rave daze of early 90's England, the sound made famous by Beltram on many of his tracks came to be known as "the hoover sound", and was widely imitated. You have to remember that in the UK we generally use "hoover" as a generic term to mean vacuum cleaner (we even use it as a verb too), just as americans will use "band aid" to mean plaster.

The OP clearly states he would like to hear both made by modular synths: 1) recreations of the Beltram sound, and 2) recreations of the sound of a real vacuum cleaner.
VortexRanger
The little language differences crack me up. If someone was bleeding out and begging me for a "plaster," I would have no idea what they were babbling about, and they'd be in big trouble. Until now.
Just me
Asking for a plaster? I'd give 'em a Long Island Iced Tea!
goom
Haha!!!!!!
Monobass
VortexRanger wrote:
The little language differences crack me up. If someone was bleeding out and begging me for a "plaster," I would have no idea what they were babbling about, and they'd be in big trouble. Until now.

heh.. I had this conversation with an american recently

Him: What is that?
Me: Paracetamol
HIM: PARA WHAT?
ME: PARACETAMOL
Him: oh you mean acetaminophen?
ME: A SET OF WHAT?

etc. hihi
Babaluma
can i bum a fag?

lol

nice fanny pack!

8_)
Just me
Torch, spanner, fender-bonnet-bumper-hood, and spares.
Flashlight, wrench, bumper-hood-fender-roof, and parts.
corex
I learned that the Arabs have adopted the word "Buncture" to mean "tire repair". From this I eventually surmised that the English root was "puncture", but combined with "tyre" it was at first very confusing (isn't Tyr a Norse god? and what the fuck does Buncture mean).

All of these idiosyncrasies are compounded when your conversational partner is ill-equipped with synonyms.
Mefistophelees
So, the aim of this thread is to make a sound that sucks?
dude
Monobass wrote:
VortexRanger wrote:

heh.. I had this conversation with an american recently

Him: What is that?
Me: Paracetamol
HIM: PARA WHAT?
ME: PARACETAMOL
Him: oh you mean acetaminophen?
ME: A SET OF WHAT?

etc. hihi

lol lol lol
Rogue Ai
Maybe I'll just use my Alpha Juno and tell you guys I used my modular. Oops, did I just say that? hihi
Just me
Mefistophelees wrote:

POTM candidate!
zomgw00t
Mefistophelees wrote:

darenager
Monomachine
Soundoferror
nature abhors a vacuum

just sayin
Cynthia
Here is a piece of music that I did using my modular and a real Vacuum Cleaner. It's called "Musings on Hoovers" (3 min).
It was recorded in two live takes using every oscillator and LFO that I had.
Hope you like it!

http://www.cyndustries.com/thia_preview.cfm#

thiaMedia.com

The other piece is called "Exchanges" (20 min) and was a live recording from the San Jose Convention Center that I did using my modular along with Doug Lynner playing Serge modular & guitar.

matttech
Soundoferror wrote:
nature abhors a vacuum

just sayin

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2