help with tr606 16th clock out

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

helitron
Common Wiggler

help with tr606 16th clock out

Post by helitron » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:34 am

Any idea if it would be possible to get a 16th clock out of the tr606? I had a look at the schematics but couldn't find anything that would be usefull.

Of course the other possiblility would be to use the dinsinc clock and convert it with a divider, but It would be nicer to have a simpler solution.

thanks, hel

Robba
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Robba » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:10 am

I use the tom triggeroutput with triggers on every step.

helitron
Common Wiggler

Post by helitron » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 pm

yes that the other option, but wold be pitty to waste the toms for that, especially after modifying the shit out of them.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:00 pm

It sure is possible! The engine that drives the LEDs can be used to drive a trigger circuit.

I'd hand it over to a tech for that though... but otoh you're in Austria, might not be a lot of people with chops on the 606 :-?

helitron
Common Wiggler

Post by helitron » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:28 pm

youre right Andreas,
I thought about the led driver. I tried several connections aroun that circuit - but could not get any good results. i obviously need to amplify the signal.

and no, not many 606 benders around here. actually I am the only one I know, but wont get far with my try and error approach.

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm a 2nd 606 mod guy! I adore my 606. So far all I"ve done is do the individual out mod for the drums. I use the tom trigger outs for locking up to sequencers, logic... etc...

Question before getting into this led topic (post tonight more about ideas, questions) is... as far as locking up to a daw, what's your best advice? I hate to use midi but... would it be fairly tight to lock the daw to the 606, then have the 606 locking up to the modular? would this be sloppy as fuck or?

Wish there was a way to tap into the clock of the 606 for external clock in.

HMMMMMM.
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

b3nsf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by b3nsf » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:55 am

you could use computer >> midi to din sync converter >> 606 >> modular.

this would also work for multi-track recordings also since the computer is always in time with itself... 8_)
its like saying you experience michaelangelo because there is a picture on your happy meal
--shreddoggie
Last time I checked there was nothing Vanilla about old Chi- Acid....that shit's Chocolate as it gets.
--Kendall Station

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 am

anybody try this tho? wonder how tight the DAW would stick with the 606. :dizzy:
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

cyphersum
Common Wiggler

Post by cyphersum » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 am

I don't know if this helps your cause but I use the Korg KMS-30.

I can do 606 as master ---> Korg KMS-30 ---> MPC2000 or DAW (Ableton for me) or switch it around and have the DAW as master ---> KMS-30 ---> 606.

The KMS-30 has 1 MIDI IN, 2 MIDI OUT, 1 DIN-SYNC IN, 2 DIN-SYNC OUT, 1 TAPE IN, 1 TAPE OUT

* Synchronises 24/48 ppq with MIDI clock & Tape Decks
* Synchronisation switchable - on/off
* master clock select - tape/sync/midi
* tempo led indicator
* power on/off

I hope I'm not stating the obvious.

-Brian

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:56 am

Yeah i think i'm going to try and get a midi/din sync converter for the 606. My biggest thing with the way i write beats is..... i love using drum machines, not spending hours slicing up one shots and shit on the daw. I'd love to just... pull up a song I have in Digital Performer, hit space bar.... and the 606/hr-16 lock with the sequencer on the daw. Which then using the trigger outs of the 606... will lock the modular as well!!

I have to snag/build a converter for the midi/din sync as well as a converter box with a square wave kit so that I can clock the din sync to the tape jack on the HR-16. It's about to get ridiculously cool in my studio! ;)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

cyphersum
Common Wiggler

Post by cyphersum » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am

tragedybysyntax wrote: I have to snag/build a converter for the midi/din sync as well as a converter box with a square wave kit so that I can clock the din sync to the tape jack on the HR-16. It's about to get ridiculously cool in my studio! ;)
Why not use MIDI on the HR-16? If you had something like the KMS-30, you could utilize one of the MIDI Out's to drive the HR-16.

I have the HR-16B but haven't used it for a long while. Are you using the HR-16 for internal sounds or as a MIDI sequencer for something else?

A project I've been wanting to do with the HR (hence why I still have it) is update the sound ROMs with custom samples. There's a site outlining this process. I just haven't tried it.

-Brian

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:38 am

I'm using the HR-16 for the sounds and internal sequencing. It's circuit bent to hell with atari joysticks for changing the mods. But I'd trust the clock on the 606 I think more than the hr-16. SO that's why i'd like to go DAW=>606=>HR-16. Hit space bar in a DP session and they all start. ;)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

cyphersum
Common Wiggler

Post by cyphersum » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 am

tragedybysyntax wrote:I'm using the HR-16 for the sounds and internal sequencing. It's circuit bent to hell with atari joysticks for changing the mods. But I'd trust the clock on the 606 I think more than the hr-16. SO that's why i'd like to go DAW=>606=>HR-16. Hit space bar in a DP session and they all start. ;)
Cool!

So with the Korg KMS-30 you could do that.

Send DAW to KMS In (set MIDI as master) and it will spit out DIN-SYNC and 2 MIDI Outs. You can find these relatively cheap. I got mine for $30 a couple years ago.

-Brian

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:49 pm

oh sick.... so i wouldent have to build a crazy adapter for din sync to tape. I could just use it to go to din sync in on the 606 and midi in on the hr-16. It locks up nice and tight?

I was just under the impression that it would be tighter doing the tape sync in on the hr-16 over the midi. guess not eh? Guess since i'm not triggering notes... just start stop, it would be an epic win?
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

cyphersum
Common Wiggler

Post by cyphersum » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:45 pm

tragedybysyntax wrote:oh sick.... so i wouldent have to build a crazy adapter for din sync to tape. I could just use it to go to din sync in on the 606 and midi in on the hr-16. It locks up nice and tight?

I was just under the impression that it would be tighter doing the tape sync in on the hr-16 over the midi. guess not eh? Guess since i'm not triggering notes... just start stop, it would be an epic win?
I haven't tried syncing up my HR-16 yet (I will give it a shot though). I really never liked the way the HR sequenced... it didn't have that x0x feel. It always felt like it was sluggish, not tight like an analog step sequencer or drum machine.

What step sequencer are you using in the top right rack setup in your picture? Is that a Klee?

-Brian

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 am

That would be a metalbox sequential switch! :)

Let me know how it locks up to the korg box. thanks bro!
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

cyphersum
Common Wiggler

Post by cyphersum » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:07 am

tragedybysyntax wrote: Let me know how it locks up to the korg box. thanks bro!
Works perfect! I tried both ways... 606 as master then HR as master. When slaving the HR just remember to put the HR's clock source as MIDI & Internal.

-Brian

tragedybysyntax

Post by tragedybysyntax » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:53 am

You just made my day! Thanks a ton man! Now I just gotta find our little secret weapon on ebay! :)
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

Return to “Music Tech DIY”