MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new SEM from Tom Oberheim
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author new SEM from Tom Oberheim
cerebrosis
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-sem-from-tom-oberheim.html

w00t w00t w00t
cerebrosis
oh and original circuit

we're not worthy
computer controlled
damn that Tom, he completely threw a wrench into my plans for buying a modular.

very frustrating
krisp14u
I Hate this d'oh!

I have GAS

I hope they bring out a patch point expander and an 8V 8_)
mono-poly
screaming goo yo
mono-poly
Let's hope it got the same molex connctors as the first ones.
So we can patch it out

-edit-

yes it does now hope they sale it without he midi and case.
cerebrosis wrote:
oh and original circuit

we're not worthy

ofcource not,

if u like something that sounds like the mopho then its for u.

sems will only climb in price now
mono-poly
I think he can do it with the origional circuits.
There aren't really rare parts used in it.
its full smt ,so anyhow it will never sound like the sem

and forget those molex connectors ofcource
mono-poly
Other connectors are fine to.
Just as long i can patch it out.
stretta
Quote:

It is mostly smt because he can't get anyone to manufacture the product as thru-hole at a reasonable price. So, smt, and some thru-hole here and there where he couldn't get the required chip in an smt package.

I don't see how the chip package (smt/thru-hole) is really going to change the character of the sound that drastically. Everyone will believe what they want to believe, and Tom himself admits that vintage SEMs themselves sound different from one another, it is analog, after all, so I it is impossible to prove it sounds JUST LIKE the original SEM.

After hearing it in person, I would not be able to tell the new from vintage blindfolded, but that is just me.

Quote:
and forget those molex connectors ofcource

Good riddance. It won't be a big deal to create an adapter if you want to expand to an eight-voice, for example.
stretta wrote:
Quote:

It is mostly smt because he can't get anyone to manufacture the product as thru-hole at a reasonable price. So, smt, and some thru-hole here and there where he couldn't get the required chip in an smt package.

I don't see how the chip package (smt/thru-hole) is really going to change the character of the sound that drastically.

its not only the smt ,but the design thats different that change the sound,and its for sure different,a well known aspect from the sem is its crappy psu.

Also read first post from Peake here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26427

but ofcource: all the best for Tom!,its just that ppl have to know that its not buy buying this synth they will get a SEM in house.

it has been the same story over and over since the new analog synths did appear.

SE,Alesis,moog,dave smith etc,etc, none sound realy as good as those old
machines and never will.

U will Blindtest have a difficulty to hear a difference,ok could be,compare a 4voice sem with 4 of these in 4v config am sure u hear the difference over the phone wich one sound more dence,warm,luch etc..

I just don't like to hear overenthousiast ppl saying the sem is back,because its not the case. like did happen with the minimoog or prophet8..

Mono--> i think no connectors (otherwise more problems to maintain waranty etc... and production cost due to xtra components etc to safly handle external CV's..)
mono-poly
I think the midi thingy is connected to the socket boards.
Just like the origional Oberheim programmer module.
In the picture you can see clear 2 modules Midi + SEM.
So i guess the SEM modules will be with modulars so people can easy make a 4 or 8 voice with it.
Stacking them together and mabe with (coming) programmer?
mono-poly
Would a regular sem module fit into this and use the midi module?
That would be nice to!
Who's coming up next with a new analogue?
Arp?
EDP/Oscar ?

Someone really Should do an OSCar that is so easy to do i think.
Polyphonic and with a pc editor.

Guinness ftw!
stretta

Sounds at the end. w00t
mono-poly
VImeo doesn't play smooth here
mono-poly
Tom should add all patchpoints to side off the pcb where you can connect a big connetor to or something.
Just like Moog modules, PCI cards etc.
With this option people can use it modular when they want to.
It would only has to be implented in the pcb design.
alt-mode
A post I made on AH:

First, I think we owe a big "Thank You" to the Red Bull Music Academy for hosting this event and also for their continuing series that gets musicians together with current leaders as well as earlier technical visionaries like Tom.

As far as the new SEM goes:

- You will notice that the faceplate is the same size as the original SEM. He intended to make it compatible with the old SEM.
- He hated the original concentric tuning knobs and couldn't get them anyway so he went to the coarse/fine knobs.
- He said it took 10 months just to find pots that would work and figure out replacements where he couldn't get them.
- There is a switch for the BP response because he couldn't get the same kind of switching pot he used in the past and also didn't like the reliability of the old ones.
- He tried doing the original design as thru-hole but it was just too expensive so he made it mostly surface mount but there were a few parts that made more sense as thru-hole.
- The connectors on the modules are not the same Molex as used in the past. He had to change the connectors but all of the signals are still there.
- The MIDI/CV tries to have many of the common routings that he thought would be useable. There will no doubt be debates as to whether they are correct.
- It did sound a feel like a real SEM. I tried to get some classic patches going on it but didn't really have much time.
- Patch points are certainly possible and he left the same top lip on the box that could be used for them. I don't know if he will offer that as an option or not.
- This is a labor of love. He isn't doing it for the money or to sell lots of them. It is likely that they will only be sold by one distributor that he is friends with. He doesn't want to have any employees so all of these will be assembled by Tom.
- Roger Linn can be credited as one of the people who bugged him enough to recreate the SEM. I think Tom has been toying this for awhile and the Barcelona event pushed him further.

I was amused by his stories and hearing that he gets together with Roger Linn, Don Buchla, and Dave Smith at some Berkeley coffee house regularly made me want to be a fly on the wall of those gatherings. wink

Tom said he has ideas for more things and mentioned a design of an analog sequencer that he wants to put out. He would like to recreate the Oberhiem Two Voice since that was his absolute favorite synth from the Oberheim line.

He didn't sound like he was interested in getting his company name back. He felt that it had been tarnished by things like the OB-12 and the OBMX. He did miss the logo though...

Remember Tom is 72 and he is doing this because it is fun and occupies his time. I think it is fantastic that he tried to keep to the original design and bring back such a classic synth. He did give his email address out to some folks but I don't think it would be appropriate to broadcast it to the list.

Eric
I hope there is not 'another one' that jumped on this brave man shoulders with the investment like did happen with moog. :(

Beautyfull machine

Later maybe a polyphonic version named 'Semarion'
GeneralBigBag
2012 wrote:

What's the difference between SMT and through-hole parts that makes you say this?
computer controlled
Eek gads, what was that awful crinkling sound? Someone opening up a bag of chips and having an issue doing so?
SynthBaron
I keep forgetting to pick up a SEM, I really liked the sound of it when I played a 2-voice a few years ago. Hopefully he'll sell a version without the MIDI/CV and with a patch panel in it's place.
cerebrosis
2012 wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:
oh and original circuit

we're not worthy

ofcource not,

sems will only climb in price now

have you heard it?
GeneralBigBag wrote:
2012 wrote:

What's the difference between SMT and through-hole parts that makes you say this?

constatation, let me say there is a difference in sound.

the reason for difference in the components,i don't know .

smt version of IC's gives not the 'problem' for a more accurate sound imo but all other components like resistors and capacitors i think do.
computer controlled
2012 wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:
oh and original circuit

we're not worthy

ofcource not,

What's wrong with the Mopho?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5